GPS in the future?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Next time you clock in (assuming you're a package car driver or someone who uses a DIAD), go to the communication screen and hit the #8 (even though it isn't a menu option) and realize that UPS knows where you are down to 7 GPS decimal points at any given time.

At this point realize that what you fear or anticipate to be the future, has already happened.

They will most certainly expand GPS technology for reason much bigger than drivers in the blind.
UPS, along with the USPS, will most likely sell their findings to the rest of the industry.

This is not what the OP was referring to----he was talking about a permanently mounted GPS device (TomTom?) in the cab area that the driver could use as an aid throughout his/her day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On my telematics report I can view/print out GPS coordinates.

ODSe tells me where you are, I do not mean what stops and pick ups you have. I filter it to show just your route, I then can see where you are between stops, its priceless.

Its been stated before: Work like you are being watched...because you are!

What is the delay on ODS-E? I have heard it is up to 15 minutes.

BTW, we can tell when you are sitting there watching us----the GPS on the DIAD goes haywire when you observe us through ODS-E.

BrownChoice

On my telematics report I can view/print out GPS coordinates.

ODSe tells me where you are, I do not mean what stops and pick ups you have. I filter it to show just your route, I then can see where you are between stops, its priceless.

Its been stated before: Work like you are being watched...because you are!

Thank you, Dragon. Can any management use this? Because it seems whenever I'm trying to track down a driver who is of the stubborn type and wont use their cell phone, the HR or supe only tells me which next stops they have..

This is not what the OP was referring to----he was talking about a permanently mounted GPS device (TomTom?) in the cab area that the driver could use as an aid throughout his/her day.

Correct, UPSTATE. And I also agree..

Seems like if ORION ends up working very well, they will in the future sync up a gps device, like a TomTom, to the Diad to save hours worked.
I don't see how the union could fight it because I don't believe using or not using something like this is in the contract, no?

Im willing to bet if they'd have spent the money to implement this, INSTEAD of Orion, it will have saved the company way more money, and costed far less dollars. But maybe this is their plan in the next step after they get Orion to work out very well in the end..... We shall see!

I think the on-car GPS, using a voice spoken turn by turn direction system could save UPS quite a few dollars, actually using it though should not be mandatory. Some of the biggest enemies of UPS, and all the other delivery companies, like miles driven and hours worked, could be shortened.. And I do believe, "IT'S COMING FOLKS"

Last edited:

CharleyHustle

I was delivering 10 air stops on a snowy morning and was falling behind. I got to one of the more busier roads and traffic was backed up 20 some cars deep as they were pulling 2 cars out of the ditch. I would bet that over half of those cars had some kind of GPS device, I don't. I passed about 15 cars, took a left into a subdivision and was by the stoppage in less than a minute. Not one car followed me.

bbsam

Staff member
if you are saying that GPS is not perfect, correct. If you are saying it has no place in package car delivery, I don't think that's the case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

if you are saying that GPS is not perfect, correct. If you are saying it has no place in package car delivery, I don't think that's the case.

I have a trailer park on my delivery area which has only one entrance/exit yet GPS shows that you can drive through the trailer park to get to the industrial park located just behind it. At least once a week a semi will drive down there and have to do a twenty seven point turn to get out of there only to drive down to the next street to get to their destination.

I can't imagine spending my day listening to turn-by-turn navigation.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can read Dave.
If you haven't noticed, threads go off on tangents related to the original subject matter from time to time?
My point being, UPS has been compiling massive amounts of GPS based data for years and is not doing so for no reason.
Along with driver assistance programs, I believe the company may be in the position to be an industry leader in this area technology wise.
Kind of like when UPS got into the airline business, they soon began to develop, manufacture and sell instrumentation for airplanes.
But for the sake of Dave and the OP, yes I think we will eventually have an onboard guidance system.

bbsam

Staff member
I have a trailer park on my delivery area which has only one entrance/exit yet GPS shows that you can drive through the trailer park to get to the industrial park located just behind it. At least once a week a semi will drive down there and have to do a twenty seven point turn to get out of there only to drive down to the next street to get to their destination.

I can't imagine spending my day listening to turn-by-turn navigation.
And there's no reason you would. But a new hire? Absolutely. On board supervisor for a couple days and GPS for a few weeks could have drivers up in efficiency in no time.

bbsam

Staff member
I can read Dave.
If you haven't noticed, threads go off on tangents related to the original subject matter from time to time?
My point being, UPS has been compiling massive amounts of GPS based data for years and is not doing so for no reason.
Along with driver assistance programs, I believe the company may be in the position to be an industry leader in this area technology wise.
Kind of like when UPS got into the airline business, they soon began to develop, manufacture and sell instrumentation for airplanes.
But for the sake of Dave and the OP, yes I think we will eventually have an onboard guidance system.
I don't think any of the technology is really new. Pretty much "off the shelf" with companies left to add whatever features they want.

The thing is, the upcoming generation lives and depends on technology, they know nothing else.. I do not hold that against them... It is funny though to watch old timers piss and moan, " back in the day all I had was a clipboard!!"

Well OldTimer, we're not back in the day anymore....

As for myself, Im kinda in between so I don't have some of the problems the young bucks do.. Plus I have a great work ethic, which also seems to be fading away on the young ones....

The deal is us oldtimers can revert back to doing it the old fashioned way while the techies cry and push the dead buttons on their toys.
A techy can research the chemical makeup of fire. When the crap hits the fan I can actually start one.

For the most part, Cach, I agree. But, for my last couple years, they would pull all my easy end-of-day residentials and give them to trips near me in appeasement to the gods of stops per car. Then, I would get bits and pieces all over town to finish my day. I am not ashamed to say that if I had something on a street I had never heard of or been on in 25 years, I would go right to my phone to find it.:surprised:

When those "bits and pieces" splits show up, walk into the office and have them give you a map for every one. GPS on my personal phone? No Habla. ;)

BUCN85

I have found both maps and gps useful. I am a newer cover/seasonal driver. And have found if I'm familiar with the area the map helps me out a lot to see what streets intersect with others and what not. And gps can help in getting to a certain area then using ED from rhere

wayfair

swollen member
Fedex buddy told me that his gun/diad shuts off or "locks out" when vehicle is in motion... man, that feature would quell in-cab distraction discussions at that "flavor of the month" PCM