GPS not allowed?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Dillinger4, May 5, 2016.

1. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Member

I had an interview yesterday for a seasonal driving position. The HR rep stated that GPS is not allowed because it is a distraction. I agree that GPS can be a distraction if a driver is typing an address on his phone or staring at the screen while driving but if you are sitting in the package truck parked typing in an address or using the speech function and while driving only listening to where the phone is telling you to go and not looking at the screen. i.e. "when you hit elm street turn left" how can that be a distraction?

Also we were told that it is highly probable that we could be running a route one week then a different route the next. So how the hell do you know where you are going? And please don't tell me using traditional maps. You would never get anything delivered.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Because if it takes you 2 minutes to enter each address into GPS and you're running 160 stops that's roughly 2x160= 320 / 60 minutes cones to 5.3 wasted hours in a day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  3. It's considered an in-cab distraction. That's not to say that some of the drivers still don't use one to get them from A to B faster if they aren't familiar in an area. Hell, I've seen supervisors use their GPS on their phone to get them around from time to time.

My advise is that if you must use your phone, do so to look at the streets in a neighborhood to get an idea where the route is taking you. You can do the same on a map too, obviously. Use it only as a reference, but make sure that your vehicle is not in motion while doing so.

But some general advise, if they're hiring you as a seasonal driver, the chances are you'll be running the same area over and over. By the fifth day you'll be fine and know generally where you are going with very little need to ever look at a map. I got lucky and was put on a mall route when I came on originally with 6 apartment complexes in addition to it.

4. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

GPS? We don't need no stinkin' GPS!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  5. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Umm, how do you think packages got delivered before GPS?

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

This company has been in business long before the internet was invented. Do you think GPS on smartphones was available years ago? And yet somehow, packages still got delivered.

7. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

Millennials

Who knows what these people would do with a truck full of boxes and no Edd, Orion or gps.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  8. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

I am a GPS. ONLY FOOD AND BEER REQUIRED

9. Wally

The newer GPS generation is a bunch of candy- arsed pansy's! Wahaaa, I need EDD...Wahaaa, I need GPS...lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Fyi...so this thread is by a guy who doesn't even work here who thinks he knows how to do the job better than the guys who actually work here.
    Hmmmm......Maybe I should call Pizza hut and give them insight on how they could make pizza that tastes better than the box it comes in.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

Oh really !!
    How the hell do you think us older guys got stuff to your soccer moms house back in the day !! Maps !!! We learned the neighborhood better than the residents knew it !!
    Tuffn up kid!!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Especially using Seth 's voice when reading

13. Covemastah

And none of us got a trophy at the end of the day !!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  14. Wally

Newbie wimps: Get your clipboard and pickup log, calls, and one shots, and get er' done.

Don't forget a extra time card because you have extra splits with separate area codes!

15. Covemastah

Don't forget to sign off in the call tag book at end of day

16. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

Your delivery/pickup stops will be listed in a suggested/recommended order. If you can't look at a map and figure out to go up route A for 4 stops, then turn right on B street for 2 stops, then left on C drive for 3 stops; then this job probably isn't for you. Plan out your next 5-10 stops (by looking at your map if needed), then go (without wasting time while knocking them out).That's one of the easier aspects of the job.

Also, you would need an auxiliary battery for your GPS/phone; no charging it from the truck.

17. Wally

Also, don't screw up the check COD plus cash.

18. rod

rod retired and happy

Going back when you found one more package for a stop was common----and it counted as another stop (even if it wasn't suppose to:-) )

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Wally

Turn in took over 20 minutes.

20. rod

rod retired and happy

longer---- on those days when management had left the building at noon and wasn't coming back.