GPS not allowed?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
2 minutes? It takes no more than 3 seconds to load an address into Google Maps which can be done on the walk back to the PC. I wouldn't shuffle through a map book on my walks.

Paper map scenario:
-Look up street name among list of all streets in city/town printed in tiny print.
-Remember corresponding location number on different page in book and take a while searching tiny printed street names tightly squished together into a blur.
- Once found, begin memorizing all the streets and turns it takes to get there.
-If you remember all these and get to the street. You then realize you should of taken a left instead of right at the intersection because paper maps don't know number breaks.

Look at it this way. You'll be around long enough to get a premium DIAD or a premium package car, either of which will give you turn-by-turn directions.

The problem is, if that happens, any dummy could do your job.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Do you live in the town where you will be working much?

That doesn't matter. I lived in my town for 20 years before they sent me out on that route one day......blind. I said I didn't know it. They said, well you grew up there, you should know it. I said, I don't know the names of all the streets. We get around by landmarks, not street names. He said, well after today you will know all the streets. Touché, boss. Touché

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yeah and they didn't have the volume that we have today I'm betting. Also, Internet shopping wasn't so popular.

And with less volume, drivers covered larger areas. Therefore, more need for area knowledge.

Catalog shopping was pretty damned big back then. The internet just took that business over.

You new guys just have it so bad now. Why do you even bother?

wayfair

swollen member
That doesn't matter. I lived in my town for 20 years before they sent me out on that route one day......blind. I said I didn't know it. They said, well you grew up there, you should know it. I said, I don't know the names of all the streets. We get around by landmarks, not street names. He said, well after today you will know all the streets. Touché, boss. Touché
got paid well that day I'm sure!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Look at it this way. You'll be around long enough to get a premium DIAD or a premium package car, either of which will give you turn-by-turn directions.

The problem is, if that happens, any dummy could do your job.
Most dummies already can. Most wouldn't want to though.
Windshield Heads Up Displays are already available for cheap, it's only a matter of time.

Using GPS vs paper maps is just a matter of preference, that preference usually aligns with the age of the driver.
Of course if you're using it for turn by turn directions you need to find another line of work. If you're using it as a paper map that fits in your palm and has way more information than a paper map that's just a common sense decision.

Dillinger4

Because if it takes you 2 minutes to enter each address into GPS and you're running 160 stops that's roughly 2x160= 320 / 60 minutes cones to 5.3 wasted hours in a day.
Speaking a location into Google maps takes probably three seconds. Also I am not talking about using GPS for every stop. More like if I am leaving a hub and need just to get to the town I will be delivering in.

Dillinger4

Fyi...so this thread is by a guy who doesn't even work here who thinks he knows how to do the job better than the guys who actually work here.
Hmmmm......Maybe I should call Pizza hut and give them insight on how they could make pizza that tastes better than the box it comes in.
Did you hear me say I knew how to perform the job better than a veteran? I said that I couldn't see how using GPS would be a distraction if you were not typing in a address or looking at the screen while driving. If the thing was in your pocket saying make a left on birch street then where's the distraction?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
That question gets ask a lot.

My first day by myself was a disaster. Had about 100 stops and only got about 70 done. My on road Sup had to find me and help me finish the 30 stops left. I was the last one back in the building.

My advice to learning routes is to take your car at the end of the day and drive the route as many times as possible. This will benefit you like no other. Use the weekend to your advantage.
That's a good idea a lot of us did that to make life easier to make the list,, once your on the list , I wouldn't do that for the next route

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Did you hear me say I knew how to perform the job better than a veteran? I said that I couldn't see how using GPS would be a distraction if you were not typing in a address or looking at the screen while driving. If the thing was in your pocket saying make a left on birch street then where's the distraction?
You concentrate more by using the map and not told by someone sitting there or gps telling you l or r. It's proven fact you'll learn area better with map, it all comes together easier with concentration and memory !!Area knowledge is your best friend on this job !

Savvy412

Op. Everyone does what your saying. Just not on your ride along with sups and the first couple days

Drive the area on the weekend. Learn it. Gps for back up

End.

Savvy412

It's not just about distraction . If you use gps everyday your not really learning it . You think you are but your not . Also it will have you going down
Streets the opposite way you should be going because it doesn't know your next street or address . Trust me . There's A lot more brains behind the streets then just punching it into gps. And I'm
Not a "vet" I'm a rookie