GPS photos

DS

Fenderbender
Today,I was given a driver followup for a cell phone that was not received.
Attatched to it was photo from space of the delivery location,and a discrepancy
as to the signature accusation point and stop complete point.
This is my area,and I know pretty much every nook and cranny.
This cover driver had a helper that day and had 250 stops and may
have to talk to security about this.I did everything I could to try to find
who the hell signed for it but to no avail.
OK now back to the GPS photo.
Something that happened on Dec 17th was recorded from space.
The photo showed the pkg car at that precise time.
Does ups have it's own satellites now?
Do they pay for this info?
That kinda freaked me out.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are you sure the little package car wasn't photoshopped into the picture? I wonder if UPS realizes GPS isn't fool proof? To this day if you ask for directions to my house Yahoo maps and Mapquest will lead you to a spot that is 6 miles from my house. (by the way- I like it like that and am dissappointed that Google maps finnaly figured out where I live.) We won't even mention Apple maps---they can't figure out where anybody lives.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What you are seeing in the photo is simply an overhead satellite image of the area with the GPS coordinates of the package scan superimposed on it. Think about it; satellites cant take these kind of pics after dark, or when there is cloud cover over the area. Look at the trees in the photo, they will be in full bloom and there wont be any snow on the ground because they are taken during the summer months when it is clear and sunny outside.

Notretiredyet

I don't believe the GPS is perfect,, had a DF this week that had those pics that showed two different spots as a delivery point. Had 2 pkgs for that stop, one showed it was delivered correctly, the other showed it more than a mile away at a commercial stop I deliver at in the morning. Both had a 1751 del time, which is about the time I get in that area to do my extra work resi split. How can I be two places at once?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't believe the GPS is perfect,, had a DF this week that had those pics that showed two different spots as a delivery point. Had 2 pkgs for that stop, one showed it was delivered correctly, the other showed it more than a mile away at a commercial stop I deliver at in the morning. Both had a 1751 del time, which is about the time I get in that area to do my extra work resi split. How can I be two places at once?

That last sentence is the number one DIAD message response from drivers.

pretzel_man

Are you sure the little package car wasn't photoshopped into the picture? I wonder if UPS realizes GPS isn't fool proof? To this day if you ask for directions to my house Yahoo maps and Mapquest will lead you to a spot that is 6 miles from my house. (by the way- I like it like that and am dissappointed that Google maps finnaly figured out where I live.) We won't even mention Apple maps---they can't figure out where anybody lives.

Rod,

You mixed three different things together....

GPS is the piece of the puzzle that determines your latitude and longitude. That's all it does. There is a GPS chip in the DIAD and also in the Telematics device. There is probably one in your cell phone. GPS is probably accurate to about 30 feet I think.

Satellite Maps is the piece that shows you the picture. Its a satellite picture taken from space and is updated on some frequency. UPS does NOT have satellites that are taking these pictures.

Navigation Maps is the final piece. These maps know things like street names, speed limites, addresses, etc. When you see a satellite map with street names on it, the overlayed the satellite photo with this navigation map.

When you use a "GPS" or "navigation" sytem the three pieces are put together. GPS tell the system where you are. The navigation map says how streets are connected. Sometimes you see that on a satellite picture.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Rod,

GPS is the piece of the puzzle that determines your latitude and longitude. That's all it does. There is a GPS chip in the DIAD and also in the Telematics device. There is probably one in your cell phone. GPS is probably accurate to about 30 feet I think. However, the printout you see with a DF is probably based on a delivery you made on a day when UPS was data-mining the information.

Satellite Maps is the piece that shows you the picture. It is sometimes a satellite picture taken from space but more likely a conventional aerial photo and is updated on some frequency. UPS does NOT have satellites that are taking these pictures.

Navigation Maps is the final piece. These maps know things like street names, speed limites, addresses, etc. When you see a satellite map with street names on it, the overlayed the satellite photo with this navigation map.

When you use a "GPS" or "navigation" sytem the three pieces are put together. GPS tell the system where you are. The navigation map says how streets are connected. Sometimes you see that on a satellite picture.

P-man, maybe you can explain to me why a certain delivery I make multiple times a week never shows in the board as wrong, but is actually about a mile and a half away from the physical address?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
P-man, maybe you can explain to me why a certain delivery I make multiple times a week never shows in the board as wrong, but is actually about a mile and a half away from the physical address?

Happens to me also sometimes 4-5 miles away or more. It seems to happen for the stops I consistently leave at another address. Does the system learn this some how?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Happens to me also sometimes 4-5 miles away or more. It seems to happen for the stops I consistently leave at another address. Does the system learn this some how?

Yep, but it will never relearn it if your people move or otherwise won't take their packages where you leave them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod,

GPS is the piece of the puzzle that determines your latitude and longitude. That's all it does. There is a GPS chip in the DIAD and also in the Telematics device. There is probably one in your cell phone. GPS is probably accurate to about 30 feet I think.

Satellite Maps is the piece that shows you the picture. Its a satellite picture taken from space and is updated on some frequency. UPS does NOT have satellites that are taking these pictures.

Hey- all I know is that the Garmin thing I use on trips to lead me to something has sure lead me astray more than once and if you try to find my house with anything other than Google maps you are screwed so why would UPS think that what the see on their spy in the sky means crap to anyone?

Indecisi0n

After a certain number of deliveries it automatically learns the address.

Lol it doesn't "learn" anything. It's a dumb computer that when you scan a package checks to see if your latitude and longitude matches what it's records show for that address. If yes all is good if not then it throws an exception.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lol it doesn't "learn" anything. It's a dumb computer that when you scan a package checks to see if your latitude and longitude matches what it's records show for that address. If yes all is good if not then it throws an exception.

Actually 407 is right. Say you have a residential delivery that you are indirecting to a commercial stop. Do this enough times and the system will "learn" that packages for the residential address go to the commercial stop.

Indecisi0n

Actually 407 is right. Say you have a residential delivery that you are indirecting to a commercial stop. Do this enough times and the system will "learn" that packages for the residential address go to the commercial stop.

Again, you are wrong. I write code and understand the workings that go on behind GPS.