GPS photos

Packmule

I had a DF a year or so ago. Satelite photo said I delivered 4 packages some 25 miles away from where they were supposed to go on a road I hadn't been on in 6 months. It was spring, and there in only one tourist business back there, closed for winter. I went to the correct address to start my search, and sure enough, the packages (Avon) were sitting there in the customer's front room. She was actually trying to find out what happened to 4 different packages that were apparently never sent by shipper.
25 miles away? Really?
On the flip side, another time, I had a DF that showed my location right on the customer's porch, even had a picture of their house. I showed them this, (you could see the shock on their faces) and then suggested they ask around the household, and expressed my concerns that we would not be able to leave packages at their location without signature anymore if missing item wasn't found. Next day, guess what? They found it! Really?
Wish our system was always that realiable, it would save a lot of problems, but until it is, don't let satelite photos railroad you as a driver in any way.

pretzel_man

P-man, maybe you can explain to me why a certain delivery I make multiple times a week never shows in the board as wrong, but is actually about a mile and a half away from the physical address?

Cosmo,

You are talking about that green or red target on the DIAD right?

That is a different piece.....

Every time you make a delivery, they keep track of the latitude and longitude of the delivery and the address. They then take some kind of average of all those deliveries. If you deliver an address consistently to a boat in the middle of a lake, then they think that's where the address is.

Its not related to the map at all.

When you deliver that address again, they only compare where you historically deliver that address to where you are at that moment.

Did that answer your question? If something is done consistently, that is where the system thinks it belongs.

pretzel_man

Hey- all I know is that the Garmin thing I use on trips to lead me to something has sure lead me astray more than once and if you try to find my house with anything other than Google maps you are screwed so why would UPS think that what the see on their spy in the sky means crap to anyone?

Because it has nothing to do with the Google or Garmin map.

All they did is take a snapshot of your GPS reading and put it on a satellite picture.

From GPS.GOV:

"the GPS signal in space will provide a "worst case" pseudorange accuracy of 7.8 meters at a 95% confidence"

So, I'm 95% sure that you were within 30' of where the picture showed.

GPS is very accurate. Navigation maps... Maybe.

DiadDude

Its not related to the map at all.

When you deliver that address again, they only compare where you historically deliver that address to where you are at that moment.

Did that answer your question? If something is done consistently, that is where the system thinks it belongs.

P-Man FTW.

The system does indeed "learn" where an address is located, but it only learns based on the repeated behavior of the driver(s) who deliver to that address. Deliver to the same spot everyday, and the system will quickly know to expect that address to be at that spot.

There is no time element to the learning, so if an address is delivered infrequently, it may take years to correct a bad learned location. Also, there is no comparison between adjacent addresses. If you deliver 10, 12, and 14 Main St, the system can know where 10 and 14 are, but be completely wrong about 12.

The location (GPS Lat/Long) that is believed to be correct for any particular address can be changed (for better or worse) by repeated deliveries to the same location.

pretzel_man

You can think, I know. There is a difference. When he presents me with his college degree in Computer Science and can program in multiple languages then I'll entertain his thoughts.

Did you read what DIADDude wrote???

Does that change your "knowledge"?

I assume that DIADDude is closer to this than anyone else here.