GPS

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If the local school bus service can pinpoint and view any of their busses and watch it live, via satellite, from an equivalent distance of about 200 feet overhead, what makes ANYONE think Fedex or UPS isn't doing the same thing?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the local school bus service can pinpoint and view any of their busses and watch it live, via satellite, from an equivalent distance of about 200 feet overhead, what makes ANYONE think Fedex or UPS isn't doing the same thing?

Our center has the ability to "see" the package cars' approximate position but does not have the ability to watch us live------yet.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Our center has the ability to "see" the package cars' approximate position but does not have the ability to watch us live------yet.
I was permitted to view their capability on a wall mounted screen when delivering their payroll. They pulled up a bus on their parking lot...you could see the drivers pre/post-trip their units. They used it to verify whether a driver had actually made all their required stops, as well, to be able to dismiss complaints from parents when the kiddos missed the bus!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was permitted to view their capability on a wall mounted screen when delivering their payroll. They pulled up a bus on their parking lot...you could see the drivers pre/post-trip their units. They used it to verify whether a driver had actually made all their required stops, as well, to be able to dismiss complaints from parents when the kiddos missed the bus!

GPS will show them making the stop, what time they got there and how long they waited; however, it will not, as you claimed above, provide real time footage on road.

It will be fine

GPS will show them making the stop, what time they got there and how long they waited; however, it will not, as you claimed above, provide real time footage on road.
Depends on the system. I can watch the city buses in real time from any web browser. It will tell you when the bus will be at a stop within a minute. It's very nice and keeps me from waiting at the stop. I know how long it takes to walk to the stop and can time it accordingly.

dezguy

Depends on the system. I can watch the city buses in real time from any web browser. It will tell you when the bus will be at a stop within a minute. It's very nice and keeps me from waiting at the stop. I know how long it takes to walk to the stop and can time it accordingly.
No, you are wrong. The only thing that matters is how things work in his neck of the woods. If that is the way it is in upstate New York, that is the way things are around the entire globe.