Great IS Quotes

A

an anonymous guest

CIO to applications staff:

"Start programming while I run upstairs and get the requirements" - circa 1982

Go UPS!
P71

Dfigtree

"The basic principle which I believe has contributed more than any other to the building of our business as it is today, is the ownership of our company by the people employed in it." -- James E. Casey, 1955
What would JC say now?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Great IS and JC Quotes

"The basic principle which I believe has contributed more than any other to the building of our business as it is today, is the ownership of our company by the people employed in it." -- James E. Casey, 1955
What would JC say now?

In the 50's JC did not have to
1) run a publicly run company. He tried it and took it private.
2) compete against non-union competitors.
3) compete in a global economy

It's a different world but you do wonder what his opinion would be in the spirit of
". . . a hard part of management’s problem is to know when to make changes and when to hold fast to what is still good." Jim Casey 1948

Dfigtree

Re: Great IS and JC Quotes

In the 50's JC did not have to
1) run a publicly run company. He tried it and took it private.
2) compete against non-union competitors.
3) compete in a global economy

It's a different world but you do wonder what his opinion would be in the spirit of
". . . a hard part of management’s problem is to know when to make changes and when to hold fast to what is still good." Jim Casey 1948

Thanks for your excellent comments. The quote below is lifted from a pretty good post on Google Finance post (http://finance.google.com/group/google.finance.663844/msg/358c25291940a57d )

[[[ "James Casey's most enduring legacy, even more so than his
business achievements, is the work culture at UPS. "The basic
principle which I believe has contributed more than any other to the
building of our business as it is today," he said in 1955, "is the
ownership of our company by the people employed in it." Casey's belief
in being privately held was in part a reflection of his own closely
guarded persona. "We have kept confidential facts and figures pretty
close to ourselves," he once said, "as most prudent people would do
with their own private affairs." But that attitude was definitely
shaped by what was perhaps the biggest threat UPS ever faced: Its
abortive attempt to go public in 1929.
There's little information on
it, and Casey never liked discussing the move. "The arrangement did
not work out entirely as contemplated" was about as expansive as he
got, and UPS managers were able to recover all the stock by 1933.
After that he routinely dismissed publicly traded companies as being
owned by "absentee stockholders" and run by "hired men." .
]]]

long time listener first time caller ... AMEN to the quote from Jim Casey. Since we've gone public the company's attitude has turned to crap.... shifted from work hard and the stock will rise to doing whatever it takes to chase the stock stock. The greatest management decision so far this year is to fire - sorry layoff the "least best" 10% of employees.

A

an anonymous guest

Dfig:

Great Quote from Casey. No one should ever forget it. But I happen to believe that UPS is a much more competitive, global organization by being public. And it is not run by hired men, unless we mean Scott is still a provisional employee after 20 years. The only issue I have with going public is that the stock was to be used for major acquisitions as 'currency.'
Haven't seen it yet.

Its a different world out there, then in 1929.

I was with 'El Magnifico' yesterday, a recent UPS retiree. Nice to see him.

WHen it comes to the bottom 10% you know 'Dead meat doesn;t get any fresher.'

Go UPS!
P71

Dfigtree

long time listener first time caller ... AMEN to the quote from Jim Casey. Since we've gone public the company's attitude has turned to crap.... shifted from work hard and the stock will rise to doing whatever it takes to chase the stock stock. The greatest management decision so far this year is to fire - sorry layoff the "least best" 10% of employees.

The greatest management decision so far this year is to fire - sorry layoff the "least best" 10% of employees.

Wouldn't that mean we should be cutting from the top?

And you being FIREMAN ... Are you the man who doesl the firing?

Just remember the oft quoted remark from JNN, a sign of his true abitlity to see into the future ... "UPS will always be an OS/2 AS400 shop. Don't EVER use the "U" word around me." They don't make VP's like that anymore. Or, do they?