green checks

Kae3106

There is one district that only puts about 30% of their vacations in the calendar. The rest are all done as last minute requests to payroll. That district is also allowed to take their vacations before they earn them. They're a nightmare. Since this has been established as past practice, there is no stopping them and asking them to utilize their calendar. The part timers in that district get their vacations paid based on the average number of hours worked the prior month. Problem: if you are going on vacation for the first week in April and you have to have your vacation check two weeks prior in mid-March but your check is based on all of the hours you worked in the entire month of March, payroll can't calculate it accurately. So then payroll has to go back after each month and calculate adjustments for everyone who had a vacation paid and either pay or deduct the difference. Why can't they just make it simple??

Kae3106

This is the sentence from Article 17 of the National Master:
"All green checks will be taxed at the employee’s regular withholding tax rate."

I did not take it out of context. That one sentence stands alone as a paragraph unto itself.

That sentence was added to the Contract several years ago specifically to stop Payroll from over-taxing green checks, which was a constant problem.

I thought you would mention the IRS regulations. I'll read them later. But I don't see why a negotiated paycheck is considered a buyback or a sellback or a supplemental. It's a normal part of our wages. No different than, say, overtime pay, holiday pay, sick pay, option day pay, etc.

Now you tell me UPS Payroll also under-taxes some green checks (even if only by a little)! The plot thickens!

Ok, let me clarify. If your regular paycheck was short and a green check was issued for the shortage, it would be taxed based on your regular withholding settings. My point when I said slightly undertaxed was this: the tax on a $1249 check is different than the sum of the taxes on a $1050 check and a $199 check. If your entire check was paid as a green check, it will be the exact same taxes as if it had paid normally. When you start breaking a check up into pieces, the taxes change a little bit. Using the 2010 tax tables on www.irs.gov for a single person paid weekly, claiming one allowance you get the following for federal tax withholding:
$1249 gross wages, $203 federal tax
$1050 gross wages, $155 federal tax
$199 gross wages, $1 federal tax

So $203 withheld if it paid as one check, $156 withheld if paid as two checks with those gross amounts. The system is reading your normal tax rates and taxing correctly based on the gross of each check. However, it comes out a little lower than it would have if it had been paid all as one check through the normal payroll.

Here's a direct quote from the IRS (the link I posted in the prior post) about vacation pay. "Vacation pay is subject to withholding as if
it were a regular wage payment. When vacation pay is in addition to regular wages for the vacation period, treat it as a supplemental wage payment." So if you take the week off, it's regular pay. If you work that week and take cash in lieu of vacation time, it's supplemental. IRS rule---I don't think a contract can override that. However, if it is in the calendar and you get your vacation check paid two weeks prior and then happen to work that week, no one is going to go back and try to get extra taxes from you.

UPSSOCKS

There is one district that only puts about 30% of their vacations in the calendar. The rest are all done as last minute requests to payroll. That district is also allowed to take their vacations before they earn them. They're a nightmare. Since this has been established as past practice, there is no stopping them and asking them to utilize their calendar. The part timers in that district get their vacations paid based on the average number of hours worked the prior month. Problem: if you are going on vacation for the first week in April and you have to have your vacation check two weeks prior in mid-March but your check is based on all of the hours you worked in the entire month of March, payroll can't calculate it accurately. So then payroll has to go back after each month and calculate adjustments for everyone who had a vacation paid and either pay or deduct the difference. Why can't they just make it simple??

No, No, and No... What are you talking about? This is an example of an union employee fabricating a story......

Kae3106

No, No, and No... What are you talking about? This is an example of an union employee fabricating a story......

I an a non-union admin and processed the checks for this district for a long time. This is not fabricated. The PT rule just changed on us. The system used to base it on the hours worked in the month prior to the check being issued. So for an early April vacation where the check is issued in March, it was based on February hours. This got changed this year when the people who had early January vacations realized their checks were calculated on their November hours instead of the peak season December hours.

The 30% is an estimate on my part based on the volume of vacation requests we have to manually put into the system each week. That number may be off but when compared to all of the other districts I've processed, this one district has many, many times the number of vacations not in the calendar than any other district I've worked with.

I will run a query today and let you know what percentage of that district has negative vacation banks because they used their time before they earned it. Their vacations are not earned on Jan 1 each year but their PT date or a FT conversion date. There was some practice established (I've never been clear if it's actually in the supplement or just a past practice) that allows them to use all of the vacation they will earn during that calendar year at any point during that calendar year. For example: you will earn 4 weeks of vacation in October 2010. In the other districts I've paid, you could use those 4 weeks between October 2010 and October 2011. If they try to use it prior to the earn date, payroll will not pay it. In this special district, the employee could decide to use 2 of those weeks in May 2010---a few months before they are in his vacation bank--- and create a negative in his vacation bank. It takes payroll forever to process the vacation requests for this district each week because they have to manually audit each negative vacation bank to ensure additional time will be earned before approving another vacation check for that employee.

Raw

Raw Member
That's why it is such a big deal to switch. The time that goes into the vacation schedule is unreal, especially at a hub where 1,000+ people are employed. It's funny people pick their vacation weeks in December, and in February everyone is trying to switch them already. It's a headache. Guys like local 804 will be the cause of "the switch" becoming a myth.
My wife works for a very large company and she can`t believe how UPS picks vacations so far ahead of time. Who can plan that far ahead? We have been known to book a cruise or flight at the spur of the moment. She also has 6 weeks vacation and she has to notify her company 1 day ahead of time but she lets them know 1 week ahead if she can to help them cover her job.

UPSSOCKS

I an a non-union admin and processed the checks for this district for a long time. This is not fabricated. The PT rule just changed on us. The system used to base it on the hours worked in the month prior to the check being issued. So for an early April vacation where the check is issued in March, it was based on February hours. This got changed this year when the people who had early January vacations realized their checks were calculated on their November hours instead of the peak season December hours.

The 30% is an estimate on my part based on the volume of vacation requests we have to manually put into the system each week. That number may be off but when compared to all of the other districts I've processed, this one district has many, many times the number of vacations not in the calendar than any other district I've worked with.

I will run a query today and let you know what percentage of that district has negative vacation banks because they used their time before they earned it. Their vacations are not earned on Jan 1 each year but their PT date or a FT conversion date. There was some practice established (I've never been clear if it's actually in the supplement or just a past practice) that allows them to use all of the vacation they will earn during that calendar year at any point during that calendar year. For example: you will earn 4 weeks of vacation in October 2010. In the other districts I've paid, you could use those 4 weeks between October 2010 and October 2011. If they try to use it prior to the earn date, payroll will not pay it. In this special district, the employee could decide to use 2 of those weeks in May 2010---a few months before they are in his vacation bank--- and create a negative in his vacation bank. It takes payroll forever to process the vacation requests for this district each week because they have to manually audit each negative vacation bank to ensure additional time will be earned before approving another vacation check for that employee.

I have never heard of anything like this... How are you entering the vacations? Through Time and Labor?

UPSSOCKS

How about apoligizing for being a maroon and admit you were wrong before asking another question.

You see red a man a my caliber, doesn't make mistakes. That's why I get to make the decisions that tell you how to function every day of your life....

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
You see red a man a my caliber, doesn't make mistakes. That's why I get to make the decisions that tell you how to function every day of your life....

And I thank you for all those decisions that you and your ilk have made. Like sending me down to the rail yards to pick up a trailer because the train is going to arrive in 5 minutes. Do you guys ever factor in that the train has to be unloaded? I love when you guys make decisions like that . I can get an hour and half of sleep and get paid time and half for doing so. Then another 30 minutes to get outbounded out of the railyard because I am stuck in line with all the other guys that got at least a good hour's sleep as well. Another 20 minutes to get inbounded at ups so that we can drop trailers that won't even be touched until the next day. God bless you.

Of course, there is a part of me that is aghast at this terrible misuse of labor and resources, but when that part of me starts talking, I just give it another dose of anesthetic and it is out like a light.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Men of your caliber, in your position, haven't made any type of decisions, regarding anything for quite some time.
This is probably due to the plathera of mistakes that you guys have made throughout your careers.
The excuses and belaming it on the Teamsters are no longer accepted.
I doubt that they even allow you pick out your own outfit on a daily basis.
All you are allowed to do for the past decade is facilitate somebody elses decisions, making you no different than anybody else here on this forum.
This is why you guys have received no raises or bonuses in recent years.
You are worthless figure heads in the direct path of the next round of downsizing.
So toe the line and pipe down.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
Damn, Johnny beat to it!!
Where have been Johnny?

Fighting the pinkertons and surveilling the late night activities of certain managers. Man , are their wives going to be upset when they see those pictures of their hubbies in those strip clubs. Those lap dances are going to cost you guys BIG when the divorce lawyers get through with you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Fighting the pinkertons and surveilling the late night activities of certain managers. Man , are their wives going to be upset when they see those pictures of their hubbies in those strip clubs. Those lap dances are going to cost you guys BIG when the divorce lawyers get through with you.
With Socks demonstrated lack of self control, I'm betting that there is some DNA evidence to support any photographic vaguities at the divorce proceedings.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!

I also have never heard such a thing. Vacation schedule for an entire center operation has to be completed and inserted in time and labor 3 wks prior to w/ending 5/1.
I have never heard of entering only 30%. I would be in division mgrs office over that....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And I thank you for all those decisions that you and your ilk have made. Like sending me down to the rail yards to pick up a trailer because the train is going to arrive in 5 minutes. Do you guys ever factor in that the train has to be unloaded? I love when you guys make decisions like that . I can get an hour and half of sleep and get paid time and half for doing so. Then another 30 minutes to get outbounded out of the railyard because I am stuck in line with all the other guys that got at least a good hour's sleep as well. Another 20 minutes to get inbounded at ups so that we can drop trailers that won't even be touched until the next day. God bless you.

Of course, there is a part of me that is aghast at this terrible misuse of labor and resources, but when that part of me starts talking, I just give it another dose of anesthetic and it is out like a light.

Men of your caliber, in your position, haven't made any type of decisions, regarding anything for quite some time.
This is probably due to the plathera of mistakes that you guys have made throughout your careers.
The excuses and belaming it on the Teamsters are no longer accepted.
I doubt that they even allow you pick out your own outfit on a daily basis.
All you are allowed to do for the past decade is facilitate somebody elses decisions, making you no different than anybody else here on this forum.
This is why you guys have received no raises or bonuses in recent years.
You are worthless figure heads in the direct path of the next round of downsizing.
So toe the line and pipe down.

With Socks demonstrated lack of self control, I'm betting that there is some DNA evidence to support any photographic vaguities at the divorce proceedings.
Funny how Socks always turns tail and runs when Johnny Union takes him to task. Johnny Union is the greatest@

Kae3106

I have never heard of anything like this... How are you entering the vacations? Through Time and Labor?

I am (was) on the payroll side of things. The centers enter the vacation requests into Time and Labor via the "Vacation Not in Scheduler" button. Then payroll has to manually key them into the payroll system. When things are in the calendar properly, we get a report of the upcoming vacations on the Thursday prior to when that payroll will be processed so there is adequate time to make sure the banks are correct and the vacations will pay properly. When we have to put them in from T&L requests during the payroll cycle, there isn't as much time. The VNIS button was added to handle the last minute changes/emergency requests but there is one district in particular that uses it for a fairly high percentage of their vacations. (Their Thursday report will be 4 pages.....the vacation report after payroll pulls in the VNIS requests for that week will be 10 pages.)