Grievance hearing

cpio

Regarding a hearing over missorts, that's way extreme. I work data acq and I see hundreds of pieces a day that are missorted into my area. What happens? My part-time supervisor radios the sort aisle and tells the supervisor there to tell his people to be more careful. Every once and a while the supervisors will whine about that but I don't recall anybody being disciplined for that.

Besides, it would be stupid to fire people for missorts and other similar things. Every new hire brought in to replace a trained employee is going to put a dent in production until that person is no longer wet behind the ears. If you've got ten unloaders that are throwing 2000 boxes an hour and one throwing 1000 an hour, that's more time on the clock for everybody, which we all know our managers HATE.

The only performance-related behavior I've heard of people being disciplined for was misloads, and it was usually a reaming, which is far better than being written up.

Flakyfoot

Re: Grievance hearing UPDATE

Sorry I didn't get on sooner, but here's what happened. His BR, his Steward, his supervisor, and someone else in Human resources somehow cancelled the hearing and the grievance is settled. They met with him an told him he didn't have a hearing. He just found this out on Tuesday night. They told him he has greatly improved, enough that they "value him as an employee" - :confused:1 Lesson learned I guess?

I think UPS should maybe recognize that whenever a human is involved in the process, there will not be perfection?

trickpony1

"....cancelled the hearing and the grievance is settled.".

That's because the company didn't want to go before the panel, look like fools and, on top of that, have it documented.

I've had grievances go to panel and in the hallway outside the conference room the bouncey labor relations lady runs up and says "we'll pay this grievance because it's the RIGHT thing to do". Roughly translated that means "we don't want look like fools in front of the panel".

So your relative spent the 5 days of Thanksgiving hoiliday all torn up inside over this crap.

I hope he learned a lesson because the company sure didn't.

tieguy

Banned
Nothing good ever comes by certified mail, especially from the company. My guess is they may be warning letters. Tell your relative to file a protest for each warning letter within the alloted time frame, I think it's 10 days but I'm not sure. Even if he is guilty as sin, always file a protest letter in a timely manner.
:confused:1

OH Trickyyyyyyy you're interjecting hearsay into a case without any precedence. Protesting a warning letter that was earned would not be ethical. Ohhh tricky we must maintain the integrity of the process. Tsk tsk. You should be a good teamster and admonish the man for not being a shining example of the quality that comes with union labor. Tsk Tsk. How will we ever ever restore the corrupted image of union labor if we tell those that are guilty to plead not guilty. tsk tsk.

tieguy

Banned
Re: Grievance hearing UPDATE

Sorry I didn't get on sooner, but here's what happened. His BR, his Steward, his supervisor, and someone else in Human resources somehow cancelled the hearing and the grievance is settled. They met with him an told him he didn't have a hearing. He just found this out on Tuesday night. They told him he has greatly improved, enough that they "value him as an employee" - :confused:1 Lesson learned I guess?

I think UPS should maybe recognize that whenever a human is involved in the process, there will not be perfection?

The standards actually allow for less then perfect performance. The customers do not. Despite the few malcontents here who believe otherwise we would prefer that we keep our people rather then fire them.

tieguy

Banned
"....cancelled the hearing and the grievance is settled.".

That's because the company didn't want to go before the panel, look like fools and, on top of that, have it documented.

I've had grievances go to panel and in the hallway outside the conference room the bouncey labor relations lady runs up and says "we'll pay this grievance because it's the RIGHT thing to do". Roughly translated that means "we don't want look like fools in front of the panel".

So your relative spent the 5 days of Thanksgiving hoiliday all torn up inside over this crap.

I hope he learned a lesson because the company sure didn't.

Thats beautifull. Stevie wonder missorts customer packages to bum fun egypt and we are supposed to feel sorry for the guy when he gets talked to. Give me a break trick. Better yet buy some pants and leave the skirt at home.

trickpony1

Just how many people groups did the above statement offend?

If you are referring to Tie's 3 posts in a 6 minute window, all of which might be directed at me and my twisted philosophy......I'm not. In a way I feel complimented.
That's just Tieguy. He may have just got home, or in the office, after fighting a fierce battle with the sorry bas##### in the hub that have nothing else to do but disrupt the operation. (sarcasm)
I hope some day to be perfect, beyond reproach and "ten foot tall and bulletproof" like some management folks I know.
Love ya' Tie!

tieguy

Banned
If you are referring to Tie's 3 posts in a 6 minute window, all of which might be directed at me and my twisted philosophy......I'm not. In a way I feel complimented.
That's just Tieguy. He may have just got home, or in the office, after fighting a fierce battle with the sorry bas##### in the hub that have nothing else to do but disrupt the operation. (sarcasm)
I hope some day to be perfect, beyond reproach and "ten foot tall and bulletproof" like some management folks I know.
Love ya' Tie!

I always thought you were 10 foot tall , thats why I try to catch you when I think you stoop too low. :thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
Love ya' Tie!

Actually I'm kind of dissapointed. While trick did share his sharp wit with me on the above post he kind of sidestepped my jabs. I was kind a hoping for a twenty cannon broadside in response. :laugh:

I've seen this happen before if he isn't working at lightspeed they want get rid of him.He should go to hearing it will make them think twice before doing that again, also your union is pretty strong to not have an alternate steward every member should know who the stewards are.