Grievance worthy?

Oldbugs

I've been with UPS for over 8 years. I've been working preload now for 3 of those years. I split and load 3 trucks as well as a TP60. I have zero problems with anyone...ever. Well, We've got a new building SUP this past week and I've had it!! He does nothing but yell and scream about no stacking, move faster, more intensity, no misloads. He walks up and down the belt telling everyone how messy their load is and how "I bet I can find a misload in that truck." We'll today he went so far as turning off the fans(S.Fla.)and shouting " if we don't want to sweat then move faster, finish and go home." WHAT??? Are you kidding me?? Are these actions necessary?? Are they even allowed? Can grievance be brought against this A-hole? I've NEVER filed one before but this guy is over the top!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes that's a harassment grievance. Tell him if he wants to talk about production you'll need a steward present.

New young guy I assume? We have a new twilight sup that wanted to start the twilight at 1pm on Mondays and said he would fire anyone that did not show. Obviously didn't get far with that one.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would grieve that. Check your contract, there should be something in your supplement about fans or building temp. If not that, fall back on harassment.

Oldbugs

Apparently this guy was a sup here years back, transferred out for a few years and now he transferred back when a spot became available. Well see what tomorrow brings.

FilingBluesFL

As cold as it's been lately, I'm surprised you've still got the fans going lol

Just remember, supervisors are like rashes. They show up unexpectedly, end up being a pain in the ass for a little while, and just like that they're gone again.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
No - your supervisor is just motivating you. Man up and work harder and you wouldn't be having problems. There is a reason why your former sup was replaced, because he couldn't get the job done thanks to you

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Chickenlegs is obviously a sup!! File on it! Sometimes sups need to be out back in there place and grieving is the only way we can do so!
No. A grievance is something that takes away time from your BA's golf trip. The shop steward won't even process it because he knows the OP is probably slacking off and feeling the heat

PT Car Washer

Not sure what you would file on. Except turning the fans off. Wanting your belt to follow the methods and not have misloads and finish on time is his job. His methods are questionable and probably counterproductive. Google "Toxic Leadership". May just be a first day "shock and awe" tactic. Until you start receiving disciplinary actions just tell him you are doing the best you can.

Inthegame

NM Art 18 Sec 6 "Building Heat" actually refers to ventilation, not just heat. I'd also give a good read to your supplements 'Maintenance of Standards' clause, specifically in reference to working conditions.

MethodsMan

I've been with UPS for over 8 years. I've been working preload now for 3 of those years. I split and load 3 trucks as well as a TP60. I have zero problems with anyone...ever. Well, We've got a new building SUP this past week and I've had it!! He does nothing but yell and scream about no stacking, move faster, more intensity, no misloads. He walks up and down the belt telling everyone how messy their load is and how "I bet I can find a misload in that truck." We'll today he went so far as turning off the fans(S.Fla.)and shouting " if we don't want to sweat then move faster, finish and go home." WHAT??? Are you kidding me?? Are these actions necessary?? Are they even allowed? Can grievance be brought against this A-hole? I've NEVER filed one before but this guy is over the top!!

Go slower and bring a portable fan.

alwaysoverallowed

Sounds like your going to get over heated and then comes the heat stroke. Make sure you take plenty of water breaks then when that becomes too much for them ask for something to keep water in so you don't have to take so many breaks. Then when that doesn't work just pass out and take a rise to the hospital in an ambulance with our insurance it'll only cost you $25 dollars and you should get paid for the day then you get to take workmans comp until you feel better. I wish I still worked preload and was in your hub I see free time off in your future.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
According to the PB Post, it's going to be kind of chilly in S. FL. for the next few days. Maybe you better pick your fight when it gets hot.:cold:

Ouch

Hey chickenlegs, are you implying the op needs to speed up and work unsafe? Now that wouldn't be the smartest thing to recommend seeing that you are strictly looking after the companies best interest and what the op is actually going thru. Now you would never request an employee work unsafe would you? To the op article 37,66, and 60. Of course put all others that apply out beside the articles violated. Don't risk your safety on someone that will be out of a job before you. Work safe and at a safe pace. I would hate to think you might miss more than normal amount ts of boxes coming down the belt because you feel harassed and are really unsure about your sup wanting you to work unsafe.

RolloTony Brown Town

As a supervisor, I gotta say that is some pretty questionable behavior at best. I'd file a harassment grievance. Just do the best you can and ignore the noise. If he bugs you, then tell him "I'm trying my best" and if he keeps giving you crap just keep telling it to him. In my building, when an employee feels harassed they tell their steward that they wanna file a grievance over it and the steward talks to the supervisor first to give them an opportunity to change their ways. If you've never filed before and have never had any problems then you're probably a good employee so for you to complain will mean something. Just make sure you actually follow through if he keeps it up.

Neoconglobalist

I'm going though the same thing bro.

I been with the company over a year now and I don't even know how to locate my shop steward. I have never filed a greivence and I think there's much to be grievanced on my belt.

I get buried in front of my can. My can takes everybody's else's :censored2:. And he'll just let me get so :censored2:ING BURIED in packages that you can't even get into the cans next to me because so much :censored2: is in front of me that it starts to spill out to the :censored2:ing cans next to me. I know there may be a safety grievance there. He could easily get me a loader and the problem would be solved, but no, he'll just watch me as I build a :censored2:ing fort in front of the can like I was a kid.

And speaking of kid, the straw that broke this already worn camels back, is that this guy talks to me like I'm his red-headed step child. He literally talks to me like I'm his :censored2:ING KID. This is no exaggeration. Today my coworkers were shocked how he went off on me. I don't even provoke him. I'm very non-confrontational and I believe he takes my kindness for weakness.

Any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. Oh and to that sup on here that said work harder, :censored2: off ;)

Oldbugs

No - your supervisor is just motivating you. Man up and work harder and you wouldn't be having problems. There is a reason why your former sup was replaced, because he couldn't get the job done thanks to you

In the three years I've been loading I've had a total of 7 misloads, thats right 7, in three years and our belt continues to lead the building with the fewest misloads. Our sup is out on an injury, not work related.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds to me like the sup is trying to make a name for himself by lighting a fire under your butts. Don't take it personally, do the job the way you were taught to do it and things will get back closer to normal after a few weeks or so.