Grievance

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
While grievants absolutely have the right to be present (at their expense) at any step of the process, grievance hearings are often scheduled during members working hours. They're called state panels, Regional JAC meetings and National Panels.

:biggrin:

I'd be amazed if you've never presented a case without the grievant present.

This is a touchy subject with me.

My Local's policy is to "document" the effort made, to provide the grievant an opportunity

to be present at any step of the procedure. Kind of a CYA for liability reasons.

For the most part, drivers (package and feeder) will be present and Local hearings are

scheduled prior to their start time.

Part-timers are a different story. We stopped scheduling them prior to their start

because so few would come in early. Now we hear them during the sorts. The company

will radio their supe and ask them if they want to attend off the clock.

Still a low percentage. If they don't show.... the first time the grievance is put on hold.

The second time, it is withdrawn with rights. (to be possibly heard at a later date and

avoid any issues of timeliness)

A previous agent ran into this issue (along with personal problems) and as a result....

I had to clear 325+ grievances, that had sat for up to a year long.

Fortunately, the Labor guy was understanding of the situation and we knocked them out

in about 3 months time. So.... there's that.

I wasn't trying to contradict your previous post, but maybe offer some hope to the OP.

I don't understand how other Locals will hear cases, without the grievant present to

offer testimony and pertinent facts. It's to easy for Labor to simply disagree and

offer their version of the events.

As an aside.... my Locals grievance forms, have the the same verbiage

that Bubble posted.

-Bug-

Inthegame

Come on ITG, the OP was talking about the "local level hearing", and if if he wished to take part in that hearing, he should have been afforded the opportunity.

Savy? (I don't speak French)

Aside from your many other attributes, you apparently possess clairvoyance...from the French clair meaning "clear" and voyance meaning "vision".

Mais qui...The OP was unclear about what step of the process he was at. Our local has two steps of resolution prior to the "local level".

Ne m'embrouille pas les idées...My answer to the OP got a little tangled. We have had grievants ask to be paid to attend panel hearings or meetings where dozens of cases are heard at local levels. In those instances, he/she is not "entitled" to skip work and attend.

Tu avais raison...I agree it's good policy to have hearings with grievants present and we never hold any type of disciplinary hearings without, but if that BA doesn't know the seniority applications in that building, he wouldn't be a BA long in this local (or the PO would be unemployed.)

Bonjour.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Aside from your many other attributes, you apparently possess clairvoyance...from the French clair meaning "clear" and voyance meaning "vision".

Mais qui...The OP was unclear about what step of the process he was at. Our local has two steps of resolution prior to the "local level".

Ne m'embrouille pas les idées...My answer to the OP got a little tangled. We have had grievants ask to be paid to attend panel hearings or meetings where dozens of cases are heard at local levels. In those instances, he/she is not "entitled" to skip work and attend.

Tu avais raison...I agree it's good policy to have hearings with grievants present and we never hold any type of disciplinary hearings without, but if that BA doesn't know the seniority applications in that building, he wouldn't be a BA long in this local (or the PO would be unemployed.)

Bonjour.

Wee Wee Monsieur

Nimnim

The Nim
:biggrin:

This is a touchy subject with me.

My Local's policy is to "document" the effort made, to provide the grievant an opportunity

to be present at any step of the procedure. Kind of a CYA for liability reasons.

For the most part, drivers (package and feeder) will be present and Local hearings are

scheduled prior to their start time.

Part-timers are a different story. We stopped scheduling them prior to their start

because so few would come in early. Now we hear them during the sorts. The company

will radio their supe and ask them if they want to attend off the clock.

Still a low percentage. If they don't show.... the first time the grievance is put on hold.

The second time, it is withdrawn with rights. (to be possibly heard at a later date and

avoid any issues of timeliness)

A previous agent ran into this issue (along with personal problems) and as a result....

I had to clear 325+ grievances, that had sat for up to a year long.

Fortunately, the Labor guy was understanding of the situation and we knocked them out

in about 3 months time. So.... there's that.

I wasn't trying to contradict your previous post, but maybe offer some hope to the OP.

I don't understand how other Locals will hear cases, without the grievant present to

offer testimony and pertinent facts. It's to easy for Labor to simply disagree and

offer their version of the events.

As an aside.... my Locals grievance forms, have the the same verbiage

that Bubble posted.

-Bug-

Everything is different everywhere.

As PT hub worker I've been asked to show up early for a grievance, which I attended, and have been taken into the office on the clock for the grievance. Midnight sort so the showing up early was with the BA present, during the sort was a simple one with just a steward.

I have had some sup working grievances that were negotiated without me present, but a steward talked with me before it was finalized to get an ok from me. I assume if I had a problem with those they would have scheduled another meeting for me to attend.