Grieve Faulty Ivis Technology Causing Harassment?

A

anonymous6

90% of my idle time is bc I am in stop and go traffic in feeder and. this all shows up as idle time on the ivis when you are on road and we drivers are being harassed about it.

even though I have explained this to supervisors several times and have even won a National grievance on the idle time issue ( keeping warm in winter conditions ) they are still making me "AWARE" of my excessive idle time.

I want to contact someone in Atlanta and/or the people that programmed the IVIS and let them know I believe there is a fault in their program and we drivers are being harassed about it..

Idle time should not be recorderd when you are "on road" and should I file harassment when I am being made AWARE of my excessive idle time when it is out of control?

also need contact numbers or address so I can go to the root of this problem.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Unless you are being disciplined can you really grieve being told to be "aware"? I would be annoyed by this too but them going through the motions would probably not be judged as harrassment. Good luck :peaceful:.

I totally agree that idle time should not be recorded once you hit leave. I will not shut the tractor down in traffic.

They make us aware by posting the idle time sheets for each supervisor group on the bulletin board. Some used to write smart alec comments about their drivers but they stopped when it was grieved and also the drivers showed them what real idle time looked like. Unless they try and take actual disciplinary steps based on the info save your grievance until then and make it count.

A

anonymous6

Unless you are being disciplined can you really grieve being told to be "aware"? I would be annoyed by this too but them going through the motions would probably not be judged as harrassment. Good luck :peaceful:.

I totally agree that idle time should not be recorded once you hit leave. I will not shut the tractor down in traffic.

What is so annoying is that this is totally out of our control and even though they agree , they insist on telling you about your excessive idle time.

This is harrassment.

What is so annoying is that this is totally out of our control and even though they agree , they insist on telling you about your excessive idle time.

This is harrassment.

If they`re only talking don`t let it get to you. Try this trick, when they speak look them in the eye just nod up and down while singing show tunes in your head. Kind of like a blond woman. Nothing will enter your head but you`ll look like you care.:thumbup1:

P

pickup

I always wondered if you did shut down, could they turn around and ask " why did you take a break and not record it?". That Ivis has no active gps capablities that I am aware of and there is no way of knowing if you pulled into a rest area along the highway or if you stuck in traffic on the highway and you shut your engine off.

M

Mike23

If they`re only talking don`t let it get to you. Try this trick, when they speak look them in the eye just nod up and down while singing show tunes in your head. Kind of like a blond woman. Nothing will enter your head but you`ll look like you care.:thumbup1:

I just picture them naked...then it becomes pretty grotesque from their out of shape bodies and makes me cry. That way they feel bad cause they think they made me cry...in a way they did :(

A

anonymous6

Thanks for the advice but I can't play that game.

A

anonymous6

Spoke to a computer expert last night at UPS and he told me that it is really not the IVIS but the feed from the tractor that feeds the IVIS the info. Well that doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sure they could reset the parameters of the IVIS concerning the idle time. How hard would it be not to record idle time while in "ON ROAD" mode?

A

anonymous6

Then go 180 degrees and be smarter than them. Know every rule and law or regulation on why you were idling as opposed to shutting the vehicle down or speeding up.

Thanks for the advice. I don't understand most of the drivers here when they talk about playing games with management.

I have not been brought up in the UPS culture by starting my career here. I worked for 25 years before UPS for many companies and even ran my own company and believe the "stand up for yourself and be straight with people" is almost always the best way to deal with people in the long run.

Some management ( maybe most) don't like me but they sure as hell know where I stand.

A

anonymous6

I always wondered if you did shut down, could they turn around and ask " why did you take a break and not record it?". That Ivis has no active gps capablities that I am aware of and there is no way of knowing if you pulled into a rest area along the highway or if you stuck in traffic on the highway and you shut your engine off.

In CA, anyway, it is against the law to shut off your motor in traffic. I have done it when you know they are clearing an accident and you know you'll be stopped for quite awhile.

But not in stop and go, stop and go.

over9five

Staff member
I have seen idle times posted by group here. Never any smart alec comments, but the names and times are posted best to least best, and they draw a line separating the acceptable from the rest (at the 30 minute mark, I think).

Idle time varies SIGNIFICANTLY depending on what job you're doing. Someone driving 400 miles will have hardly any, while someone doing local p/us will have a lot. There are no allowances for this major factor.

I would not shut down my tractor in traffic, and I would not let them making me aware of idle time bother me.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Just remember that next month there will be a new goal or flavor of the month you be made aware of!

Keep smiling and don't let it bother you.........

A

anonymous6

I have seen idle times posted by group here. Never any smart alec comments, but the names and times are posted best to least best, and they draw a line separating the acceptable from the rest (at the 30 minute mark, I think).

Idle time varies SIGNIFICANTLY depending on what job you're doing. Someone driving 400 miles will have hardly any, while someone doing local p/us will have a lot. There are no allowances for this major factor.

I would not shut down my tractor in traffic, and I would not let them making me aware of idle time bother me.

I agree with you but I get upset bc they are being dumb about it. Like I said before 90% of my idle time is from being stopped in traffic and I have told them this several times buy they insist on making me ?aware" of my excessive idle time.

I want to contact the people who program the IVIS and ask them about this but have not found any contact numbers yet.

BTW what does IVIS stand for so I can google it?

A

anonymous6

Just remember that next month there will be a new goal or flavor of the month you be made aware of!

Keep smiling and don't let it bother you.........

don't you think it would be nice if I could get them to reprogram the IVIS so it does not record idle time while "On Road" so tens of thousands of drivers are not harassed about it?

I'm trying to solve a problem and not ignore it.

A

anonymous6

That would be smart. (Good luck!!!)

I'm not sure... Maybe something like In Vehicle Information System?

I'll try that..thanks

Also, I have tried to speak to a couple managers about this and they are very UNinterested about the whole thing,

I think I'll call corporate and tell them to shut off the air conditioning in the offices to save money since we can't idle our motors for a/c in 100 degree heat.