Grills!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Chicken steak and beer on s Sunday afternoon
20130707_190246.jpg

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd Phoenix it to ask a question of grillers/smokers out there. We do a lot of 'Q down south. I'm looking to replace my Bradley Smoker. It is just built too cheaply for me. I'm looking to buy a Cookshack Smoker. They are pretty expensive, but built like a tank. For example, my Bradley weighs about 40#s and the exterior is made of plastic, the interior aluminum. The Cookshack in a comparable size is made of stainless inside and out, and weighs about 150#.
http://www.cookshack.com/Products-for-Home-Use
Does anyone on here own one of these? Thanks, rob.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd Phoenix it to ask a question of grillers/smokers out there. We do a lot of 'Q down south. I'm looking to replace my Bradley Smoker. It is just built too cheaply for me. I'm looking to buy a Cookshack Smoker. They are pretty expensive, but built like a tank. For example, my Bradley weighs about 40#s and the exterior is made of plastic, the interior aluminum. The Cookshack in a comparable size is made of stainless inside and out, and weighs about 150#.
http://www.cookshack.com/Products-for-Home-Use
Does anyone on here own one of these? Thanks, rob.

They look really nice, but for that kind of money I'd be looking for a kamado-style cooker. Maybe a Big Green Egg. More versatile than a dedicated smoker.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I looked at the big green egg at a store I was at. Very well built, and Im sure the ceramic makes it very efficient. Versatile as well. I sometimes cook for groups and get togethers, and I'm not sure the capacity of the BGE (XL is 452 sq inches) Is sufficient. The 066 CS has 4 14x18 racks. (1008 sq. inches) I like the bigger racks. the racks on my Bradley are 14x14, and I've got to sometimes cut a brisket or a slab of ribs to make them fit. The CS allows you to use 5 or 6 oz. of wood chunks to smoke a whole brisket. I can set the timer on the CS and go to work ..oh wait-I don't work haha. Or I can set an internal temp with a probe, and it will stop cooking and drop down to a warm mode when it gets down to the temp I preset.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Is that 452 sq. in. with the extender?

I can understand if you need to smoke a lot at once. I don't, and really enjoy my Akorn because I can do it all.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
If we had a bigger budget we would have gone for the big greed egg but the Vision kamado we found in our local Costco works great. It's a knockoff big green egg that smokes, grills and is an oven. Here's a super cheesy video about it. The one Costco sells is similar to their least expensive B version.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Oh, I'm not sure about the extender. I just got the dimensions from their website. I saw where they came out with an XXL model.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/

That just means I might be able to buy my BIL's large even sooner. He's planning on enlarging his deck with a built-in table for an XL.

Just wait til I tell him there's an XXL!;)

BTW, the extender is basically a second grill that sits above the cooking grate.

If we had a bigger budget we would have gone for the big greed egg but the Vision kamado we found in our local Costco works great. It's a knockoff big green egg that smokes, grills and is an oven. Here's a super cheesy video about it.

Nothing wrong with the Vision at all!

(Did you try another pizza yet?)

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My grill is finally ready to be put out to the curb I think. I've loved it. 4 burners plus 2 sear burners, plus a burner on the right ledge for a pot or something. The ignitors have been slowly going (can be replaced I suppose), but the parts around the burners are also due to be replaced and the regulator just finally went (plenty of gas but no gas getting to the burners).

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I just "converted " my stainless steel Charbroil into a smoker. I took out what was left off the burners and covered the grease hole with a grate so I can burn charcoal. Tried it last night with some ribs aland it laid down some good smoke but it burns charcoal pretty quick. Hopefully through trial and error I will get rather proficient at smoking.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
That just means I might be able to buy my BIL's large even sooner. He's planning on enlarging his deck with a built-in table for an XL.

Just wait til I tell him there's an XXL!;)

BTW, the extender is basically a second grill that sits above the cooking grate.

Nothing wrong with the Vision at all!

(Did you try another pizza yet?)
Nice that you get to buy your brother in law's bge. I read somewhere that bge sells demos here and there, but never really looked into it.

We will definitely use your pizza techniques next time we make a pizza. Our attempts have been hit and miss. The last pizza we made turned out pretty well but I think thinking of the cooking process more like an oven may produce a better result.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My grill is finally ready to be put out to the curb I think. I've loved it. 4 burners plus 2 sear burners, plus a burner on the right ledge for a pot or something. The ignitors have been slowly going (can be replaced I suppose), but the parts around the burners are also due to be replaced and the regulator just finally went (plenty of gas but no gas getting to the burners).
Can you even imagine showing that grill to a caveman who is cooking his mammoth steaks over a simple fire ?? We've come a long way, baby!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would be me- I pick up scrap all the time. The scrap yard is right across the street from UPS and opens at 730. It's like free money.

I had my sliding glass patio doors replaced recently. I had thought about putting the old ones out by the street but my son-in-law convinced me to put them on Craigslist. The timing couldn't have worked out better----no sooner had the contractor pulled out the old doors the person who wanted them showed up to take them.

My son recently relocated to start his new job. As we were going through his stuff we would take those items he no longer wanted/needed and put them by the street. They were all gone without the hour.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
you could probably give away a box of cat turds on CL. I've given away things in the past, and get 30 emails within 30 minutes. I had 2 old wood pallets when I cleaned my garage last month. Got almost 40 emails on them. There are pickups that patrol our streets every garbage day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The contractor (Lowes) was going to haul them away so I told him he owed me a six pack. He said he would drop it off after he finished the job.

I'm still waiting for it. :(

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The contractor (Lowes) was going to haul them away so I told him he owed me a six pack. He said he would drop it off after he finished the job.

I'm still waiting for it. :(

The contractor, who is not a Lowes employee, was probably planning to sell them himself.

You owe him a six-pack.;)