Gross Leadership Failure

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Hey, you sound like management.
Nah, I don't think he's management.
We've specifically asked... "Why isn't Johnny Joe here anymore"? (dude just disappeared after working for us on-and-off for 6 yrs.) Explanation from the manager..."I don't know".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We've specifically asked... "Why isn't Johnny Joe here anymore"? (dude just disappeared after working for us on-and-off for 6 yrs.) Explanation from the manager..."I don't know".

I know he isn't management. I was just pointing-out that when facts or information don't exist to justify their actions, that management will just pull something out of their ass and hope it works. In other words, LIE.

quadro

The thing is it is really none of your's, mine, or anybody else's business why Johnny Joe isn't there anymore. Would you want your manager telling everybody confidential info about you? Managers and companies get sued for giving out that info. So even if you don't care about your info, it can end up costing a manager their career and FedEx a lot of money.

This is the same reason why previous employers give out very little info when asked for a reference check or verification of employment.

I agree, however, that it would be nice to know so that you don't make the same mistake. In my experience, just listen at the next few meetings and whatever policy is discussed is most likely the one that signaled the end for Johnny Joe.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The thing is it is really none of your's, mine, or anybody else's business why Johnny Joe isn't there anymore. Would you want your manager telling everybody confidential info about you? Managers and companies get sued for giving out that info. So even if you don't care about your info, it can end up costing a manager their career and FedEx a lot of money.

This is the same reason why previous employers give out very little info when asked for a reference check or verification of employment.

owever, that it would be nice to know so that you don't make the same mistake. In my experience, just listen at the next few meetings and whatever policy is discussed is most likely the one that signaled the end for Johnny Joe.

This is true. If you don't know why an employee has been terminated via the grapevine, it will probably be discussed shortly thereafter as a refresher course on policy. Whenever someone gets canned at my station, we get a copy of policy (usually 2-5 Acceptable Conduct), and have to sign again that we've received the policy and read it. A lot of managers will let you "guess" around the reason and let you know if you're "hot" or "cold". That way, you know, but they have not technically broken confidentiality.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Actually, this one is federal law that says an employer, previous or otherwise, can only answer yes or no to whether or not someone was in their employ within a given time frame...if you find out a previous employer has said more than that, you have legal recourse against them.