Ground and Express Drivers are EXACTLY Alike!!

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
You forgot, Pulling nose first into every single resi driveway regardless if it's 20 ft long or 2000 ft long.
Well what is worse? Backing 2000 feet up a winding driveway surrounded by trees or driving forward and once at the top turning around? If a driveway is only 20 feet long we have been trained to simply toss it out one of our open doors and save what's left of our brakes for really important hazards.

New to the thread so I'm prepared for the insults and slams ( seems to be the underlying theme here) but I have found the Ground formula to work pretty good for me. For someone thinking about getting into the business, this forum would not be giving them much confidence) I am contracted for 8 routes. It's taken about 4 years to acquire the proper routes that work for me. I also employ a full time manager who oversees the morning load and dispatch of our employees. This manager also works vacation time for each employee and covers certain routes with an additional truck if need be. I have also formed another separate company with 4 other contractors and we employ 1 full time mechanic that takes care of the full fleet of trucks we collectively have. This saves us time, money and rental expense.

Bottom line is: All of our employees are happy ( and not overworked), never had any turnover in employees. The key is treating employees with the respect they deserve and always being there to help them out when it's necessary. Taking the mentality of working your guys and gals to the bone will always result is substandard help and high turnover. FedEx Ground is not different than any other business opportunity, it all comes down to having the right people. This business is not rocket science, the only variable expenses are potential truck issues. The few contractors that do it the right way are successful. The majority who don't struggle and end up in these forums complaining about it. For someone aspiring to get into the business, do it the right way and treat your employees like you would want to be treated and with the right routes, you can make more money than any driver for UPS, Express, etc and not have to drive at all. Can't beat that..

MAKAVELI

New to the thread so I'm prepared for the insults and slams ( seems to be the underlying theme here) but I have found the Ground formula to work pretty good for me. For someone thinking about getting into the business, this forum would not be giving them much confidence) I am contracted for 8 routes. It's taken about 4 years to acquire the proper routes that work for me. I also employ a full time manager who oversees the morning load and dispatch of our employees. This manager also works vacation time for each employee and covers certain routes with an additional truck if need be. I have also formed another separate company with 4 other contractors and we employ 1 full time mechanic that takes care of the full fleet of trucks we collectively have. This saves us time, money and rental expense.

Bottom line is: All of our employees are happy ( and not overworked), never had any turnover in employees. The key is treating employees with the respect they deserve and always being there to help them out when it's necessary. Taking the mentality of working your guys and gals to the bone will always result is substandard help and high turnover. FedEx Ground is not different than any other business opportunity, it all comes down to having the right people. This business is not rocket science, the only variable expenses are potential truck issues. The few contractors that do it the right way are successful. The majority who don't struggle and end up in these forums complaining about it. For someone aspiring to get into the business, do it the right way and treat your employees like you would want to be treated and with the right routes, you can make more money than any driver for UPS, Express, etc and not have to drive at all. Can't beat that..

Just curious, how much do your drivers make if you are making more than a UPS driver?

Just curious, how much do your drivers make if you are making more than a UPS driver?
. Irrelevant question. Drivers are obviously happy with their income or they wouldn't be working for me. The amount of capital and planning it takes to be successful within the Ground system should afford a contractor a healthy income. Comparing a multi-route successful contractors pay to a Hourly UPS driver is not a like comparison. Business Owner vs Employee.

I know many many UPS drivers and most all are happy with the benefits, etc but most have capped out on their earning potential. There is no cap with Ground, that's the beauty of it.

MAKAVELI

. Irrelevant question. Drivers are obviously happy with their income or they wouldn't be working for me. The amount of capital and planning it takes to be successful within the Ground system should afford a contractor a healthy income. Comparing a multi-route successful contractors pay to a Hourly UPS driver is not a like comparison. Business Owner vs Employee.

I know many many UPS drivers and most all are happy with the benefits, etc but most have capped out on their earning potential. There is no cap with Ground, that's the beauty of it.

When someone doesn't want to give specifics, that says it all. You sound like you just finished the FedEx school of spin and deflect. I smell bulls hit.:thumbdown:

Rainman

Its all good.
If it works for you, good. Don't let other people drag you down. If they can't find something that works for them, no need for you to sweat their comments.

BTW, UPS drivers do have to be flexible and think on their feet, Even more so since we got ORION, It cuts miles most of the time but creates a host of other challenges we have to deal with in the process. Every day I have to figure out how to make commercial stops before they close without screwing up the trace, or more importantly, screwing myself. Less miles, but a larger delivery area, more packages and more pickups.

When someone doesn't want to give specifics, that says it all. You sound like you just finished the FedEx school of spin and deflect. I smell bulls hit.:thumbdown:
. Your exactly right. Nothing else to do but spin stories to make myself feel good. You busted me. I can't help your frustrated in whatever position your in. How is sharing what I pay my drivers gonna help you feel any better? Oh wait, UPS driver we are dealing with here. You sound a tick bitter about the Ground business model, nevertheless it works and works well. Fact is, if you are in fact driving for UPS or any of the FedEx companies, you are no where near the income of a successful contractor nor will you ever be. Try and justify it all you want, you'll never get there. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, my intent to post is to shed light on the negative perception that you can't money at Ground. Ground drivers don't make the same pay as UPS, that's not earth shattering news. There are plenty of guys and gals out there that want to work for Ground and make the typical wage of a Ground driver. Contractors are business owners, not strictly courier drivers. I'm sure your understand the concept. Maybe not??

vantexan

Seriously? Do you think Ground drivers pinch themselves when they wake up every morning to make sure it isn't all a wonderful dream? People take the kind of job you offer because it's all or the best they can find, not because it makes them happy. People like you pay what you do because you know you have people over a barrel. Want to be a decent person? Pay yourself what a UPS driver getting some OT makes, and give the rest to your drivers. That's the right thing to do and you'd still make good money.

MAKAVELI

. Your exactly right. Nothing else to do but spin stories to make myself feel good. You busted me. I can't help your frustrated in whatever position your in. How is sharing what I pay my drivers gonna help you feel any better? Oh wait, UPS driver we are dealing with here. You sound a tick bitter about the Ground business model, nevertheless it works and works well. Fact is, if you are in fact driving for UPS or any of the FedEx companies, you are no where near the income of a successful contractor nor will you ever be. Try and justify it all you want, you'll never get there. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, my intent to post is to shed light on the negative perception that you can't money at Ground. Ground drivers don't make the same pay as UPS, that's not earth shattering news. There are plenty of guys and gals out there that want to work for Ground and make the typical wage of a Ground driver. Contractors are business owners, not strictly courier drivers. I'm sure your understand the concept. Maybe not??

Ground drivers don't even make as much as Express drivers. I understand basic economics. Ground driver = low wages, no benefits + government assistance. Contractor = nice profit< bigger profit for FedEx.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'd have every Express route around here mastered in three days.
I doubt that very much.

First of all you're out of shape. Secondly there's more to running an express route than meets the eye. It's not all straight lining like your crew does. Furthermore, I'll bet you wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to juggling time commitments mixed with oncall pickups.

We're not gonna take your word for it. Prove it or lay off the BS.

bbsam

Staff member
I doubt that very much.

First of all you're out of shape. Secondly there's more to running an express route than meets the eye. It's not all straight lining like your crew does. Furthermore, I'll bet you wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to juggling time commitments mixed with oncall pickups.

We're not gonna take your word for it. Prove it or lay off the BS.
Definitely not out of shape. Become quite the gym rat. As for proving anything, I guess we'll just never know.:)

vantexan

Definitely not out of shape. Become quite the gym rat. As for proving anything, I guess we'll just never know.:)

Then you don't know Express. As a former swing one thing is certain, not all routes are created equal. I take it you mean with no training? Just jump on them and get them done? If you are trained in Express procedures and know how to manage routes you'll know in about a week MOST of what you'll need to know assuming you got at least a couple of days training. Some rts take longer and it'll be several weeks to a couple of months before you can say you have it "mastered". But don't discount rt management as not a big deal. A heavy delivery route with alot of oncalls can get out of hand very quickly. It takes a certain mindset to last as a courier and there's alot of turnover these days as those tougher rts usually go to newhires and transfers. Now that people realize the humping required with no future, no payoff, many leave quickly. Under these conditions it really rankles those who've stuck with it for more than a decade and find themselves closer to newhire pay than top-out. Spin it anyway you want, Ground drivers don't run a morning sort or work a reload. And they don't hustle all day to meet deadlines and get back for the reload on time. I've no doubt many Ground drivers work hard. But Express work is a different animal and it gets old very quickly now that BSing the employees is no longer a now and then thing, but standard operating procedure.