Ground and home delivery packages in drop boxes

Reattempt tomorrow

Just curious as to what other couriers favorite way of handling ground packagess found in drop boxes are? I like to let them get lost in the truck this is really easy with the little phone packs. Or if its convenient I return then with an airbill attached and kindly explain this is a different company's label and they would need to call for a pickup or pay for the return charges themselves.

Myort

I'll play, ground and HD packages come back to station with me. We have a regular pickup every afternoon from the ground driver to pickup anything dropped off at our customer service counter. It just gets delayed a day, that's all. UPS packages I will usually take with me and drop them in the nearest UPS box or give to a UPS guy if I see him. I really don't care if the particular dropbox I put it in has already been picked up or not, I figure it is not my problem, I didn't put it in the FedEx box to begin with. They should consider themselves lucky I put forth this effort for them.

FUFred

At express I was always told "you are not allowed to except ground packages, tell the customer to call 1800-gofedex for a ground pickup." I then asked well what if it is in a dropbox asked that in a meeting years ago and was told," we don't take ground packages." I was a swing so I would just leave them for the next guy. I look at it this way I was one with WAD.

shelskye

or... from the ppd dropbox menu, go to pick up exceptions, scroll to page 4, hit ground pup, scan the packages and put them with the ground packages back at the station...... and have proof that express handles ground packages... that is what I used to do anyway..every little bit helps!

thedownhillEXPRESS

or... from the ppd dropbox menu, go to pick up exceptions, scroll to page 4, hit ground pup, scan the packages and put them with the ground packages back at the station...... and have proof that express handles ground packages... that is what I used to do anyway..every little bit helps!

Exactly what I have been doing my brotha!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just curious as to what other couriers favorite way of handling ground packagess found in drop boxes are? I like to let them get lost in the truck this is really easy with the little phone packs. Or if its convenient I return then with an airbill attached and kindly explain this is a different company's label and they would need to call for a pickup or pay for the return charges themselves.

Leave them in the DB for a week or two and let them age like fine wine.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

No, No, No!! Ground and Express are completely separate!! Actually, that's pretty smart, and proof that the two companies are mingling freight.

!Retired!

As soon as you do any exceptions, it reverts back to the time you scanned the barcode, regardless of what else you scan. I scanned a barcode at 5:58, scanned about 30 letters including a couple of airbills and relabels, powerpad said 6:02 when I was done, went into exceptions and scanned the Ground package. Dispatch sends me a message 15 minutes later I hit it early. I had the manager bring up my IIB23 later on. It showed all the Express packages and what time they were scanned (most were after 6:00). Then it showed the Ground scanned at 5:58 even though it was the last thing I scanned.
I had a regular PUP try and sneak in a Ground on a Thursday. I told them they need to schedule a PUP, there's no way for me to scan it. That evening, I found it in my dropbox. I left it for the guy that covers my route on Wednesdays....6 days later.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Oh I have. Heh, heh!

SmithBarney

Correct this option is there, but the scan from my research does nothing. Try tracking it, you'll see no scans until you see the CSA scans

Be a moot point soon. Drop boxes that take both ground and express are already in the pipeline.
This is true, why do you think they changed the labels on the boxes "EXPRESS" is a separate label now(which means it can quickly be replaced)
as well as the "NO GROUND ACCEPTED" label is now separate, easily removed.

Not that it matters we've been picking them up for years, I've on occasion taken them back to the shipper(usually a nearby office)
otherwise just dump them with the CSA.

overflowed

Correct this option is there, but the scan from my research does nothing. Try tracking it, you'll see no scans until you see the CSA scans

This is true, why do you think they changed the labels on the boxes "EXPRESS" is a separate label now(which means it can quickly be replaced)
as well as the "NO GROUND ACCEPTED" label is now separate, easily removed.

Not that it matters we've been picking them up for years, I've on occasion taken them back to the shipper(usually a nearby office)
otherwise just dump them with the CSA.

I've seen ground stuff sit at drop boxes for months. Mostly returns. Sometimes, they leave stacks of banker boxes at loading docks next to the drop box and have seen them sit even longer. I know the ground driver sees them daily. Guess everyone is WAD.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I'll play, ground and HD packages come back to station with me. We have a regular pickup every afternoon from the ground driver to pickup anything dropped off at our customer service counter. It just gets delayed a day, that's all. UPS packages I will usually take with me and drop them in the nearest UPS box or give to a UPS guy if I see him. I really don't care if the particular dropbox I put it in has already been picked up or not, I figure it is not my problem, I didn't put it in the FedEx box to begin with. They should consider themselves lucky I put forth this effort for them.

This is what I do.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
For customers who try to hand me Ground packages while I'm at the dropbox, I give them the direct phone number to nearest Ground station. Not the 800 number.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
For customers who try to hand me Ground packages while I'm at the dropbox, I give them the direct phone number to nearest Ground station. Not the 800 number.
Heck I'm a HD guy and will not pick up any ground package..Maybe if my contractor paid me for it................but that will never happen,because he barely makes ANY money..yeah right..

HomeDelivery

Heck I'm a HD guy and will not pick up any ground package..Maybe if my contractor paid me for it................but that will never happen,because he barely makes ANY money..yeah right..

i had an unscheduled pickup that a customer gave me; he didn't call it in yet & was a PS3 return to get it repaired. i did deliver that empty box to his apt a few days earlier...

i actually scanned it into my route & got paid for the pickup!