Ground customers dropping like flies

FedExer267

Actually I get calls from the terminal about setting up pickups. Basically I'm asked if we can make a pickup window. If my guys can make it or we can rearrange things to make the window we do. Doesn't always work out and sometimes other contractors end up covering the pickup or we can't get the account.
Atleast they work with you bbsam. My contractor for the most part dosent even know we have a new pick up FedEX tells us, they tell us what town and what time never mind we may be in a diffrent town at that time and have to break off route to go get it then come back and finish our route so the contractor dosent get charged for a late pick up. Which adds more time to our day which is unexceptable to guys who maybe on hour 10 and dont get overtime. Maybe it comes down to they have contractors they help and others they dont. Maybe my boss would know more if he came in more who knows. I know awhile back they were trying to take half of a route away from him and give it to another Contractor just because they assumed it would get taken care of better. Didnt he pay for that route when he bought the business? They do crap like that all the time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually I get calls from the terminal about setting up pickups. Basically I'm asked if we can make a pickup window. If my guys can make it or we can rearrange things to make the window we do. Doesn't always work out and sometimes other contractors end up covering the pickup or we can't get the account.

OK, but that's very different from the idea that customers are calling you. They call FedEx, and then the terminal calls you to see if you can work it out. They call FedEx directly, not bbsam.

bbsam

Staff member
OK, but that's very different from the idea that customers are calling you. They call FedEx, and then the terminal calls you to see if you can work it out. They call FedEx directly, not bbsam.
And when company ABC wants electrical workers can they call the union hall? If so, does that mean that the electrical workers who show up actually work for company ABC?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And when company ABC wants electrical workers can they call the union hall? If so, does that mean that the electrical workers who show up actually work for company ABC?

Bad analogy. When a customer wants something from FedEx, who do they call? That would be FedEx at the 800 number or the website. At the union hall no particular company is represented, just electrical workers in general. You get whomever the union decides to send you. When you call 1-800-GO-FEDEX or go to www.fedex.com, FedEx sends you the driver assigned to that particlular area by the contractor. It isn't random. The situation you described where FedEx calls you (the contractor) means that the customer has already contacted FedEx (the corporation). FedEx runs the overall operation...you do not. In your example of the electrical workers at the union hall, the union isn't representing itself as a corporate entity. They are simply a clearing house for workers, whom they assign as needed,

FedExer267

Speaking of pickups I was on the way to a delivery todya and noticed I was being followed by a car. When I got to the delivery this man got out of his car and approached me and asked me why I drove right by his house because he has a pick up scheduled for today. I told him to hang on a second I would double check my pick up list needles to say I had no pick up for him. I asked him if it was Ground or Express and he said what do you mean its FEDEX. So once again I had to explain the diffrence between the two and he got irritated I could tell he wasnt buying what I was saying. I told him the Express driver usually is around here in the afternoon that he could leave his box on the porch and he said he didnt feel comfortable with that ( FedEx is FedEx you all come from the same building you all work for the same company so I want you to go to my house and pick it up or I will call and get you fired) Quote. So I explained to him I am not aloud to touch Express yes they do get left on my step from time to time but I would have no way of scanning it so he would have no way of tracking it til I ran into the Express guy and if I didnt it would sit in the building til they picked it up which would get it there later than he wanted. He still didnt believe me so i drove to his house showed him I couldnt scan it and man was he upset. He will never use FedEx again because we are misleading unlike UPS who does everything with one driver. I apologized to him and told him sorry he said he wasnt mad at me but he would be calling FedEx and ask what kind of Mickey Mouse operation they are running. I had to chuckle.

bbsam

Staff member
Bad analogy. When a customer wants something from FedEx, who do they call? That would be FedEx at the 800 number or the website. At the union hall no particular company is represented, just electrical workers in general. You get whomever the union decides to send you. When you call 1-800-GO-FEDEX or go to www.fedex.com, FedEx sends you the driver assigned to that particlular area by the contractor. It isn't random. The situation you described where FedEx calls you (the contractor) means that the customer has already contacted FedEx (the corporation). FedEx runs the overall operation...you do not. In your example of the electrical workers at the union hall, the union isn't representing itself as a corporate entity. They are simply a clearing house for workers, whom they assign as needed,
You're not paying attention. When the customer calls Fedex, I get first shot in my territories. If I choose not to take on the work, Fedex is free to contact another contractor. And do you really think that a union hall is random? No seniority or anything like that? So really Fedex cannot run the overall operation without input and acquiesence by the contractor. Same thing with deliveries. I have first shot in my territories. If, however, service issues arise, they can attempt to give areas to other contractors at which time they will be contacted by my lawyer and sued if the do not cease and desist. I know it's hard to believe, but I have personal experience that proves to me that "lawyering up" can really stop the company in it's tracks.

FedExer267

You're not paying attention. When the customer calls Fedex, I get first shot in my territories. If I choose not to take on the work, Fedex is free to contact another contractor. And do you really think that a union hall is random? No seniority or anything like that? So really Fedex cannot run the overall operation without input and acquiesence by the contractor. Same thing with deliveries. I have first shot in my territories. If, however, service issues arise, they can attempt to give areas to other contractors at which time they will be contacted by my lawyer and sued if the do not cease and desist. I know it's hard to believe, but I have personal experience that proves to me that "lawyering up" can really stop the company in it's tracks.
That is sad bbsam why should you have to lawyer up if you do indeed run your own business. FedEx will do what ever they want yes for tax purposes and complaints, fuel, maintenance costs you are the boss. However FedEx does their hardest to run us they are the ones calling us for something I never hear from my contractor unless I give FedEx the answer they dont want to hear. They try threating us everyday with or jobs. Shouldnt that be the job of my contractor and not someone at the building because I dont work for them.
I really think its sad I am glad your doing well but a billion dollar company puts the cost of doing their business on the little guy and reap the awards.

bbsam

Staff member
That is sad bbsam why should you have to lawyer up if you do indeed run your own business. FedEx will do what ever they want yes for tax purposes and complaints, fuel, maintenance costs you are the boss. However FedEx does their hardest to run us they are the ones calling us for something I never hear from my contractor unless I give FedEx the answer they dont want to hear. They try threating us everyday with or jobs. Shouldnt that be the job of my contractor and not someone at the building because I dont work for them.
I really think its sad I am glad your doing well but a billion dollar company puts the cost of doing their business on the little guy and reap the awards.

"Lawyer up" is a phrase. Really anybody in business without a lawyer is simply stupid. It's a fact of life. I have accountants, bankers, lawyers and I'm smart enough not to think I can do it all. Honestly, I have no idea what your contractor is thinking (or more to the point not thinking).

FedExer267

"Lawyer up" is a phrase. Really anybody in business without a lawyer is simply stupid. It's a fact of life. I have accountants, bankers, lawyers and I'm smart enough not to think I can do it all. Honestly, I have no idea what your contractor is thinking (or more to the point not thinking).

Well that makes 2 of us!!!:funny:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's pretty obvious that FedEx (the corporation) runs the show. The contractors are there both as a means of pawning-off costs, and to serve as a "legal" means of legitimizing Gorund operations. Fred is the master, and contractors are the slaves. The drivers are sub-slaves.

bbsam

Staff member
Now the conversation is shifting. You may shake your fists in fury at those at the top, but how is Fedex different than any other company? You have those at the top, middle management, and the rest of us. There is little to say but, "It's not fair" to which one should be ready for the reply, "No, it's not. But it is how it is." I'm of the opinion that not much has changed throughout time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Now the conversation is shifting. You may shake your fists in fury at those at the top, but how is Fedex different than any other company? You have those at the top, middle management, and the rest of us. There is little to say but, "It's not fair" to which one should be ready for the reply, "No, it's not. But it is how it is." I'm of the opinion that not much has changed throughout time.

If I call the union hall, I get "Joe Blow", an individual electrician....I don't get a corporation. If I call FedEx, I get you, your driver, all of the employees who answer the phones to schedule pickups, do traces etc, and all of the rest. For Fred, you're a convenient means of shedding costs, and if you don't work out, that's just too bad. All of this might still shake-out in your favor, but don't count on it. Smith isn't a fellow to be trusted. If you don't belive me, ask some of his other "contractors", like ATA Airlines for example. Google it and give me your take on how Fred handled his obligations with them, OK?

P.S. He put them out of business. This would be just after they bought a bunch of planes to help fulfill their end of the bargain.

bbsam

Staff member
Did I mention my lawyer? Yes. That's because I don't trust the company. Or rather, business is built on contracts, not trust.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Did I mention my lawyer? Yes. That's because I don't trust the company. Or rather, business is built on contracts, not trust.

You have one lawyer. Fred has many, and they are probably much better than anything an individual can afford. That's a big advantage.