Ground did something right!!

Kevinmevin

We processed over 800k this past monday alone at my hub.. given we were doing 400k the week before peak and while there was chaos everything went went well without any major major problems. They planned well. Ground is getting better.

STFXG

So you also know about the trailers sitting in yards without enough tractors to move them? Doesn't matter how many are processed if it doesn't go out the gate!

That's not including the backed up freight from the storms... Going to get REAL ugly!

serco

Bad? We were just informed we will be asked to run this Sunday because of trailers not making the sort. Does anyone know where the road shut downs are?

Sent from device_name using BrownCafe App

bbsam

Staff member
one reason things seem mild is the 1.2 million Walmart pieces that jumped ship for UPS. No explanation.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Every time we have late frt. they expect miracles out of us CRRs.
Example: No late Anda drugs, no late Apple shipments, take all Amazon pkgs. out the day they arrive in the sta. no matter what the commit date on the label, same with Macy pkgs.

We actually get individualized messages from disp. that identify "high priority" Apple pkgs. that must be del'd on time "even if left building late".

Sam, you just don't know. Stay with Ground.

!Retired!

We actually get individualized messages from disp. that identify "high priority" Apple pkgs. that must be del'd on time "even if left building late".
Same with Target and Walgreen P1 pharmacy packages. We left the building at 10:00 yesterday. I didn't have any of those, but the couriers who did were supposed to skip stops to get those there by 10:30.

bbsam

Staff member
But then again, you guys hold freight until its "due date". The whole model makes P/D more difficult than it needs to be. That's just Express castrating itself and it really torques customers off.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
But then again, you guys hold freight until its "due date". The whole model makes P/D more difficult than it needs to be. That's just Express castrating itself and it really torques customers off.
something this outfit absolutely positively excels at

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I first started we used to do that. If a pkg was sent 2nd Day Air within the same zone it would be held until the scheduled delivery date. We quickly figured out that it was more cost effective to just deliver it when it reached the destination center. Sure, customers were getting a service level above the one that they were paying for, but they were actually paying for air service when it would get there the next day via ground.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When I first started we used to do that. If a pkg was sent 2nd Day Air within the same zone it would be held until the scheduled delivery date. We quickly figured out that it was more cost effective to just deliver it when it reached the destination center. Sure, customers were getting a service level above the one that they were paying for, but they were actually paying for air service when it would get there the next day via ground.

Sorry, Dave, but I never saw anything being held until it's "due date."

Shoot, I used to do same day deliveries in the summer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, Dave, but I never saw anything being held until it's "due date."

Shoot, I used to do same day deliveries in the summer.

It was quite common for UPS to hold air in Philly and then release it on it's scheduled delivery date.

I had a same day delivery today. Picked it up at the college bookstore in the morning and delivered it in the afternoon.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I had a same day delivery today. Picked it up at the college bookstore in the morning and delivered it in the afternoon.

Doesn't the pkg. have to go through the system?
I pick up stuff that is going to a place I'm gonna be at later but, I don't deliver it.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
As we approach the 24th ... awwww ... grabbing the "hot cocoa with marshmallows"

The weather is getting crazier by the minute; blizzards in the Midwest, cold as **** in the East and 75 degrees in the South and it's just December 6th:likeit:

Yes, Fa-La-La !!!!!

Trailers stacked with late freight, held freight, too much freight ... it must be peak, huh?

bbsam

Staff member
I received a Walmart package Monday at 8:45 AM. by FedEx Ground. So when did they jump ship?
They didn't completely. Last weekend Ground line haul drivers showed up to distribution centers to find roughly 20% of the trailers they had expected were replaced by UPS trailers. Understandably this caused a stirring at the highest levels of Ground. I think Ground has regained that volume now.