Ground Driver, Am I Being Underpaid?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I see.

So your comfortable with the double standard of UPS pay & benefits while it's OK for someone else to accept low wages with no benefits for doing the same work? Also you seem to like the proposed two-tier wage scale that would affect newer UPS employees. Right?

I do not like the two-tiered wage system but do see where it would make sense for UPS to pursue it. Ground has proven that the job can be done in a satisfactory manner with much lower operating costs. I also do not like the compensation of the average Ground driver but do see where it makes economic sense.

Would I do the job for $15/hr? No but unlike most people here I have options which would allow me to work elsewhere.

That's right. And if YOU and your fellow couriers weren't OK with it, you would have organized by now, RLA be damned. Everybody knows the lay of the playing field and few do anything to change it.

Ground has certainly changed the rules and will have a huge impact on our 2018 contract negotiations.

MAKAVELI

I do not like the two-tiered wage system but do see where it would make sense for UPS to pursue it. Ground has proven that the job can be done in a satisfactory manner with much lower operating costs. I also do not like the compensation of the average Ground driver but do see where it makes economic sense.

Would I do the job for $15/hr? No but unlike most people here I have options which would allow me to work elsewhere.

Ground has certainly changed the rules and will have a huge impact on our 2018 contract negotiations.
I don't see the UPS contract going backwards, unless the company is bleeding $. Just my opinion.

MAKAVELI

It doesn't make sense, unless you advocate for driving wages down for all Americans and widening the wealth gap.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's right. And if YOU and your fellow couriers weren't OK with it, you would have organized by now, RLA be damned. Everybody knows the lay of the playing field and few do anything to change it.

Bullshat. The RLA is union Kryptonite and you know it. As long as it is in place, the Teamsters consider us untouchables.

You are Fred's puppet, and allow him to have a low cost Ground division that isn't independent in any sense of the word.

Scam.

It will be fine

What you guys often miss in the discussion of Ground wages is $15-20/hr is often a healthy step up for many of our drivers. Full time work at a good wage is not always readily available for people without skills or an education. I have a few drivers that were unemployed for 10+ months before working for me. They are happy to have a job. Could it be better? Sure, but at least it's stable income.

bbsam

Staff member
Bullshat. The RLA is union Kryptonite and you know it. As long as it is in place, the Teamsters consider us untouchables.

You are Fred's puppet, and allow him to have a low cost Ground division that isn't independent in any sense of the word.

Scam.
It's union kryptonite right up until the company pushes things too far and you and the vast majority of couriers decide you've had enough nationwide. Here on BC you've more than reached that point. In the real world? Not so much.

bbsam

Staff member

Scam.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scam

Here's the definition. How in your opinion the Ground model fi? I see you throw the word around but it seems that what you are really saying is that you simply don't like it.

dezguy

Out of curiosity, how do you know that most people here don't have other options? Is this based on fact or are you assuming?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I care about my pension and a secure UPS means a secure pension.

Right, so you happily accept all the benefits of being a Teamster and don't really care about anyone else. You absolutely should care about FedEx Ground drivers because their low wage drives down your negotiating power. UPS management can say they can't continue to pay high wages because Ground is taking away significant market share. That weakens the IBT position, and your potential to keep what you have. It also weakens the security of UPS.

From a corporate perspective, Fred gets employees who aren't classified as such, and gets to push most operating costs onto ISP/Contractor puppets like bbsam who pretend that they are "independent" businesses. What CEO wouldn't love that deal?

As a Libertarian, you're a major hypocrite, because if you were true to your belief system, you'd quit UPS and become an entrepreneur instead of being dependent on a fat and happy Teamster contract. You know, the Horatio Alger deal where all of us can become millionaires if we just try hard enough?

Ground drivers who make $12-$14 per hour are driving down the value of labor, including your own. The fact that Fred S and bbsam Inc. get a taxpayer subsidy for nearly every Ground driver seems to escape you, which further erodes your wage and provides Mr. Smith with another advantage over UPS, further tilting the playing field in his favor.

You need to quit UPS and become a Ground driver so you can show us how to succeed under such a perfect business model.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then, do it, and quit talking about something you don't really understand. Actually, Ground synchs quite well with the Libertarian exploitation of labor mindset.

My four year degree in business gives me the credibility to comment on this topic.

The Ground model makes a lot of sense from a purely business perspective.

It sucks for the employees.