Ground guys question

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We hear every morning if a pickup is missed, late, or early. There is more going on than we are hearing.

I have several customers who also ship through Ground but do not have a daily pickup with either UPS or Ground. They will either bring them to MBE or wait for us to pick them up. I will pick mine up the first day that I see them but there are times when 3-4 days go by before the Ground driver picks them up. It all depends upon whether he has a delivery for them. It sounds as though this may be the situation barnyard was talking about.

barnyard

KTM rider
It all depends upon whether he has a delivery for them. It sounds as though this may be the situation barnyard was talking about.

Nope.

In the case I saw, the ground driver was there and left the outgoing sitting on the floor. The regular guy said that he sees that quite a bit at that particular shipper. They process a shipment using the receiver's account # and it sits there until the ground guy is good and ready to pick it up.

I used to see the same thing with Fed Ex RS tags. Packages would sit for weeks. Shipper would have deliveries, courier would not take the package with them.

It surprised me because I can spot our RS labels from across the room and usually have them picked up before the shipper says, "Oh, I have some packages for you."

My fave was leaving one and 2 days later I hear, "You're forgetting a package."

"No I'm not, that is a Fed Ex package."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also look for RS/ARS packages and usually have them picked up before the consignee asks me to take them.

If Ground is blowing off pickups maybe it's time for some sales leads.

bbsam

Staff member
I also look for RS/ARS packages and usually have them picked up before the consignee asks me to take them.

If Ground is blowing off pickups maybe it's time for some sales leads.
I still think there's something missing. What shipper let's stuff sit day after day on the dock and doesn't say anything or call to complain?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I still think there's something missing. What shipper let's stuff sit day after day on the dock and doesn't say anything or call to complain?

Leads me to believe that this is not a scheduled daily pickup but rather that these are returns or pkgs they are shipping out on their own waiting for the driver to pick them up. Irregardless the driver should pick them up if he sees them.

bbsam

Staff member
Leads me to believe that this is not a scheduled daily pickup but rather that these are returns or pkgs they are shipping out on their own waiting for the driver to pick them up. Irregardless the driver should pick them up if he sees them.

Agreed he should pick up. But even returns would be a big deal to the location. The should be getting credit for the returned items.

HomeDelivery

so if HD pickup a Ground RTS returns package from a business location that was waiting over a week... would you guys lose the credit? I'm seeing this all too often.

CJinx

We aren't supposed to take ANY Express pickups, period.
We shouldn't because it will make an express package late if we take it. (ie, it would have been on a plane that night, instead express gets it from our station the next day, now late). Some customers don't care if it's late and some drivers don't want to say no, thus these packages sometimes get picked up by ground/hd.

overflowed

We aren't supposed to take ANY Express pickups, period.

No, guys I'm talking about "Ground airbills." Was at a stop the other day and I was there with ground guy. Shipping manager asked if I can take it. I point to the ground guy says, that his crap, you know? ground guy shrugs says if it doesn't have a astra label he ain't taking. Says he don't get paid for it if he does. Get this. He asks if I can take it to my "TERMINAL." He'll pick it up when he comes later tonight after my station processes it. Now, were talking a 100lb black convention thingy. I says screw you jack take it to your "Terminal." I'm not hating on you green guys . Just saying a lot of your co workers ain't helping with the perceptions. On a side note customers always ask us to take ground stuff cause it just sits for days. The easiest way for express people to not hurt the customers feeling is to say you get paid by the package and I ain't trying to take other peoples money. ALWAYS works, no butt hurt customers.

bbsam

Staff member
The driver is a :censored2:. He doesn't need any paperwork at all. Scan the package as an "unscheduled pickup" and pick it up. Vast majority of my pickups, scheduled or not, don't have any paperwork. All generated from scanning. Many shippers transmit the data to terminals anyway.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
^^^ So, there you go overflowed.
Cut, paste, and print what BB said and show it to the ground guy to show to his boss.

overflowed

"Ground airbills". Just think about it.

And we don't take any type of "airbill" equivalent.
he said that he cannot scan anything that doesn't have a preprinted astra label. Handwritten airbill from what i caught from him, he's saying he can't scan it till it has an actual astra label. Is that true?

overflowed

^^^ So, there you go overflowed.
Cut, paste, and print what BB said and show it to the ground guy to show to his boss.

I would, but on that route, this dude is always running and never seen him turn off that truck. Maybe I drive the truck around the corner. Drive back, then show him. Can't stop him otherwise.Haaaaaa

overflowed

The driver is a :censored2:. He doesn't need any paperwork at all. Scan the package as an "unscheduled pickup" and pick it up. Vast majority of my pickups, scheduled or not, don't have any paperwork. All generated from scanning. Many shippers transmit the data to terminals anyway.
So bbsam you guys can take a written ground airbill? I don't see why not. Sounds like some say you can't, others say sure. Just trying to clarify this. Confused is all. thx

STFXG

No such thing a handwritten airbills with ground. We have some prepaid barcodes and they can write the address on the box. Other than that they had to print out the label using the computer. We have nothing that you can just write your shipper number on and we can take...