Ground Is Good!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is the new mantra of FedEx. You hear it from management, you hear it from the contractors on this forum, and it's "inescapable" that Ground is the future of FedEx. Maybe, but that doesn't mean you need to buy into it, support it, or take it. I've been begging you people since 2007 to wake-up and see this "future". As R1a says, you'd better act now, because you are being sold down the river while simultaneously getting a Ground enema. That means forming a union, and instead of sitting on your ass watching your job and future disappear, you need to sign a card, get your neighboring couriers to sign cards, and start preaching the gospel of "Ground is killing your job", because that is the real truth. Your only "salvation" is the Church of Unionization.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Resorting to begging now? Yeah, I overestimated your leadership skills. Carry on though.

Not begging. Just touting the "new reality". You know, the one where everyone gets paid crap wages and scam artists/flim-flam ISPs skim the cream off the top. That undercuts the rest of us. Fred''s "remodeling" job needs to cost him more than he's willing to pay.

bbsam

Staff member
Not begging. Just touting the "new reality". You know, the one where everyone gets paid crap wages and scam artists/flim-flam ISPs skim the cream off the top. That undercuts the rest of us. Fred''s "remodeling" job needs to cost him more than he's willing to pay.
And are you also in denial? Is this not where we already are?

CJinx

How can you argue with free advertising? Craigslist might not fill the pool with the greatest quality of applicants, but that is what a solid screening process is for.

HomeDelivery

stop w/ the bashing of each opco already!

there are some decent contractors out there, if not ~ i would have moved on to other things

if the driver doesn't want to re-negotiate about having a raise or bennies, it's his own fault for accepting those low wages.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
AGREED! It waste time, takes threads off topic and doesn't solve a thing.

Disagree. As long as we have an underpaid, overworked opco in the FedEx "family" dragging the rest of us down, we need to call them out. It's like forcing your meth-head, alcoholic, crack-smoking brother into an intervention. These folks need to realize how badly they are getting screwed. By allowing themselves to work for nothing and zero benefits, they bring down the industry as a whole and devalue our type of work. This especially effects Express employees, since Fred now thinks we should be more like Ground, and accept less pay and benefits.

bbsam

Staff member
It's one think to talk about the opco, but you talk trash about the people working there. You want to say you care about them and then slander everything about them. That's ok though. I confess that we look down on you guys too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's one think to talk about the opco, but you talk trash about the people working there. You want to say you care about them and then slander everything about them. That's ok though. I confess that we look down on you guys too.

I would love to see Ground drivers making the $15-$17 per hour that they are worth, plus a benefits package and retirement. I look down on ISPs and FedEx because they will never let it happen. Low pay attracts low quality. You and Fred are taking full advantage of the people you hire, especially the few really good ones that deserve so much better.

bbsam

Staff member
I would love to see Ground drivers making the $15-$17 per hour that they are worth, plus a benefits package and retirement. I look down on ISPs and FedEx because they will never let it happen. Low pay attracts low quality. You and Fred are taking full advantage of the people you hire, especially the few really good ones that deserve so much better.

What era are you living in? This isn't the '70's. Businesses are getting OUT of the benefits game. If you want that to change, it's going to happen because Washington will steer it that way. You are casting stones at a corporation but it is the system you want to turn.

HomeDelivery

thank Gawd that my wife is in a union-job w/ great bennies or else we wouldn't make it in this economy... maybe that's what others in Green-land are all about; they either have spouses w/ better pay/bennies & can ride it out or they're already retired from their primary jobs & this is just a supplemental to their pensions. the third option, "they're morons" may be also true <shrugs>

Mr FX said:
I would love to see Ground drivers making the $15-$17 per hour that they are worth, plus a benefits package and retirement...

some fellow workers are exceeding that rate because they run-gun; maybe that's why some "smell" like they've never taken a bath for a week... I bring 2 extra uniform shirts/undershirts, axe body spray, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, powder, etc in my "box of tricks" so i can at least maintain a certain standard on the road...

i turned down the contractor's benny package (for the reason i stated earlier) & is using his 401K match w/ my 10% towards retirement ~ whatever's that worth... having passive income in other ventures also helps me out as well

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What era are you living in? This isn't the '70's. Businesses are getting OUT of the benefits game. If you want that to change, it's going to happen because Washington will steer it that way. You are casting stones at a corporation but it is the system you want to turn.

There you go. Because cretins like Fred S can work special deals that allow them to run businesses like Ground and Express, the rest of us just need to stand idly by and allow them (and you) to cash-in? I most definitely am casting stones at the FedEx Corporation because they absolutely can afford to pay benefits, retirement, and higher wages.

bbsam

Staff member
Stand by, lay down, jump up and down, pull your hair out blow off steam on BC--do whatever you want. What difference do you really think it makes? It's 7:15 on April 22, 2013 and after all your posting and sabotage plans, there is still no union at Express. So what do you think you will accomplish with Ground?