Ground no help at all for peak

TeamLift

Home delivery forced to work every Monday till Christmas ground comes in on Saturdays to run psa but only has to run 40 stops then free to go home. Also we used to get help with incompatibles, now no help on Mondays or Saturdays, totally useless.

It will be fine

Home delivery forced to work every Monday till Christmas ground comes in on Saturdays to run psa but only has to run 40 stops then free to go home. Also we used to get help with incompatibles, now no help on Mondays or Saturdays, totally useless.
A batch of cookies goes a long way.

bbsam

Staff member
What on earth makes you think they should help?

dex 84

Why are Ground and HD even separate? Most terminals are mixed, right? Why not just run routes in tighter areas? Is there some benefit to dispatching an HD driver and a Ground driver to the same area?

It will be fine

Why are Ground and HD even separate? Most terminals are mixed, right? Why not just run routes in tighter areas? Is there some benefit to dispatching an HD driver and a Ground driver to the same area?
Compensation. Contractors make more as separate entities. If you buy an overlapping HD or Ground area FedEx just pockets all the savings.

STFXG

HD doesn't have to run Monday. Ground doesn't have to run Saturday. Monday's are extra heavy because they jump Tuesday's service (which doesn't have to be delivered on Monday).

Those extra days and the extra volume is optional.

bbsam

Staff member
Those efficiencies have given my ground routes massive bonuses this peak.
Correct. But when a couple contractorsmall here considered doing the same here, the resulting effect (as far as the numbers go) was that X was the only clear winner.

STFXG

Correct. But when a couple contractorsmall here considered doing the same here, the resulting effect (as far as the numbers go) was that X was the only clear winner.
Yeah, mines a different situation from the rest of our building. Pretty awesome so far.

gixxer squid

That would be called EFFICIENCY and X doesn't believe in that!

gixxer squid

HD doesn't have to run Monday. Ground doesn't have to run Saturday. Monday's are extra heavy because they jump Tuesday's service (which doesn't have to be delivered on Monday).

Those extra days and the extra volume is optional.
We were loaded Saturday morning, this morning and tomorrow morning (monday)

We don't have to deliver Saturday but unless you want a colossal mess on monday morning with boxes leaned up against your truck with a dispatch at 10:00 am or you have 2-4 extra drivers on payroll with hands in their pockets then I find it prudent to make life as easy as possible for my team. Of course we loose money when a truck goes out and can only do 30-40 stops, you think X cares? friend no!

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Feuding/dysfunctional contractors not willing to work together?
The station mgr came up to me Sat
HD needs your help, you know "clusterville" better than anyone, can you help?

Ok.. So I go to one of the drivers, ask for the mgr I never met, and he's offended by needing a bailout.

I figure I could cherry pick 50 stops

Then get told to frock off!

kickpackage1

Does Hd ever help Ground on deliveries and pick ups, NOPE so what makes you think Ground should help HD

dex 84

Compensation. Contractors make more as separate entities. If you buy an overlapping HD or Ground area FedEx just pockets all the savings.

Why is this? You can't save money yourself by just running mixed routes that can get more done quicker? If you had 4 HD routes and 4 ground routes and you just split the freight in a way that made sense you couldn't make it so you don't have to run 8 routes everyday?

I don't know anything about this, I'm just asking out of curiosity because it never made sense to me to see two guys with the green ex on their truck doing the same area.

It will be fine

Why is this? You can't save money yourself by just running mixed routes that can get more done quicker? If you had 4 HD routes and 4 ground routes and you just split the freight in a way that made sense you couldn't make it so you don't have to run 8 routes everyday?

I don't know anything about this, I'm just asking out of curiosity because it never made sense to me to see two guys with the green ex on their truck doing the same area.
It's a bit convoluted. The way they pay ISPs has a certain amount of money guaranteed called Annual service charge. Let's say the HD guy gets 100k for those 4 routes and the Ground gets the same. If Ground buys the HD FedEx says "we're already paying you 100k in annual so we don't need to pay anymore for the additional trucks since it's in the same area." So the 100k they were paying the HD guy goes right in their pocket.
Stops take time, you can't just jam all the HD stops on the ground routes, you might be able to only send 7 routes out instead of 8 but they cost money and you end up working 6 days for less money.

dex 84

It's a bit convoluted. The way they pay ISPs has a certain amount of money guaranteed called Annual service charge. Let's say the HD guy gets 100k for those 4 routes and the Ground gets the same. If Ground buys the HD FedEx says "we're already paying you 100k in annual so we don't need to pay anymore for the additional trucks since it's in the same area." So the 100k they were paying the HD guy goes right in their pocket.
Stops take time, you can't just jam all the HD stops on the ground routes, you might be able to only send 7 routes out instead of 8 but they cost money and you end up working 6 days for less money.

Okay, so that's where the problem is. If they paid one person the same as they would pay two then you could do better by saving a route here or there but if they're screwing you like that then there is no incentive to try to provide both services efficiently. Better to just stick with the one you're in and say to hell with the other one.