Ground Stepping-Up Hiring Through Temp Agencies

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Who gets to choose which part(s) of the route goes to the temp driver? If it is the contractor, wouldn't it make sense to dump the low revenue residential chaser stops in lieu of retaining the high density/revenue commercial bulk stops?

Of course it would, but you miss the larger point, which is that FedEx is taking a very active role in what is supposed to be an "independent contractor" operation. Also, what are the consequences (to STFXG) of missing service? Do they threaten to take the route away? It seems very convenient to have FedEx to fall back on when a route gets blown-out. Also (to STFXG), do you have to reimburse FedEx for providing this service for you, since it is your route, and contractually your responsibility to provide service?

bbsam

Staff member
In ISP states we have something called a "surge stop threshold". We are obligated to service up to that number and anything above is paid a premium. I have at times given the company 30 to 40 stops or as few as 5 just so that they could keep temps busy through peak. One year I gave the same temp about 30 stops every day in the same area because I knew I would be hiring him. It wasn't cost effective to hire him during peak, but it was good training.

STFXG

Who gets to choose which part(s) of the route goes to the temp driver? If it is the contractor, wouldn't it make sense to dump the low revenue residential chaser stops in lieu of retaining the high density/revenue commercial bulk stops?

Of course it would, but you miss the larger point, which is that FedEx is taking a very active role in what is supposed to be an "independent contractor" operation. Also, what are the consequences (to STFXG) of missing service? Do they threaten to take the route away? It seems very convenient to have FedEx to fall back on when a route gets blown-out. Also (to STFXG), do you have to reimburse FedEx for providing this service for you, since it is your route, and contractually your responsibility to provide service?

Regularly missed service can lead to contract termination. It takes REALLY bad service to actually get terminated. More likely you would just lose your monthly service bonus.

There is no reimbursement. We have the ability to flex stops from truck to truck or to other contractors if we are in what is called the flex program. Both contractors have to agree to the flex. Im assuming its the same to flex to the temp driver. We just don't get paid for the volume we flex to someone else.

purplesky

I have been seeing a whole lot of FDX freight on the highway lately being pulled by noname contractors and not FDX freight drivers. Whats up with that? Is FDX outsourcing fdx freight?

HomeDelivery

why aren't the contractors getting supplemental routes? because they'll either break even or operate at a loss?

the terminals i'm seeing in my local area that needs temp drivers are the ones that can't find enough help on their own to do so. either that, or it's poorly mis-managed that the drivers quit after seeing their paycheck for all that box-humping

------------------------

i had one customer ask why i'm driving a rental truck... & question my status if i'm really a fedex employee.

i told her, i drive under a contractor & you are correct that i'm not a real FedEx driver. here's the terminal # and my fake fedex ID if that will ease your mind... it is what it is

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i had one customer ask why i'm driving a rental truck... & question my status if i'm really a fedex employee.

At that point I would have politely told her to have a nice day while walking back to my (rental) truck. Your status as an employee is none of her damn business.

I had a residential delivery for a 4 unit apt complex just before Mother's Day. They were flowers and unfortunately there was no apt letter. As I am walking toward the front door a lady in the yard yells at me, "Hey, are those for *******?" When I didn't answer at first she then yelled, "Hey, I am talking to you." Rather than say anything to her I simply walked to the front door, wrote "Apt # ?" on the package, set it inside (shipper release) and walked back to the pkg car. Turns out the flowers were indeed for her and had she been halfway nice to me I would have handed them to her in the yard but to yell at me for no reason----sorry, that ain't happening.

CJinx

At that point I would have politely told her to have a nice day while walking back to my (rental) truck. Your status as an employee is none of her damn business.
Well, I kind of see her point. I know of at least one former driver that was driving a rental truck, rarely had his ID on him, and would not wear a uniform on the road. Couple that fact that he was a black guy driving around in a predominately upper class white neighborhood, he tended to get viewed with a lot suspicion and negative attention.

I bet 9 out of 10 customer don't know (or care) that Ground/HD drivers are employees of independent contractors and not Fedex employees.

S

serenity now

years ago was delivering to Aaron's and the receiver questioned if i was a ups employee

(in uniform and holding a diad)

my P1000 was parked longways beside the plate glass window; i said "Unless that truck is stolen, I'm the real deal."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have been seeing a whole lot of FDX freight on the highway lately being pulled by noname contractors and not FDX freight drivers. Whats up with that? Is FDX outsourcing fdx freight?

Yes. This is one of the major reasons that FDX Freight has an active IBT organization drive.

HomeDelivery

a local ground contractor said:
TRAINING PAY: $350/per week for 2 weeks (you will learn the route, procedures, obligations, accountability and protocol, etc. etc.)
WHEN 2 WEEK TRAINING IS COMPLETED REGULAR PAY IS AUTOMATICALLY INCREASED as you COMPLETE ROUTE up to $700/WEEK.

what a cheap SOB; i'm earning at least a tad over $800 / week & HD is 2-3 times EASIER!

work hours 10-12, 5 days a week. Weekends off (with family!)

LOL 10-12 hours for peanuts?

HomeDelivery

i'm a box-monkey maroon, but not an idiot...

i'm just giving an example of why some terminals are going to the hourly-paid temp driver route... we aren't an ISP state yet so i dunno what the settlement payments are to those ground contractors

under a temp agency:

$530/week for 40 hours
$398/week OT pay (20 hours)
or
​$596/week OT pay (30 hours)
means more than what that contractor is paying

i know how Ground works harder for the same or less pay than a HD driver (with the exception of MaineGroundDriver, which he's done at an early time of 1500 for alot more $$$)

& usually, they can't take their vehicles straight home since warehouse workers have to load the vehicles in the AM pre-load & turn-in those pickups

for me, i have the option to go straight home & park the vehicle at the side of my house

Last edited:

vantexan

i'm a box-monkey maroon, but not an idiot...

i'm just giving an example of why some terminals are going to the hourly-paid temp driver route... we aren't an ISP state yet so i dunno what the settlement payments are to those ground contractors

under a temp agency:

$530/week for 40 hours
$398/week OT pay (20 hours)
or
​$596/week OT pay (30 hours)
means more than what that contractor is paying

i know how Ground works harder for the same or less pay than a HD driver (with the exception of MaineGroundDriver, which he's done at an early time of 1500 for alot more $$$)

& usually, they can't take their vehicles straight home since warehouse workers have to load the vehicles in the AM pre-load & turn-in those pickups

for me, i have the option to go straight home & park the vehicle at the side of my house

​I hear that MGD will get paid more next year if he's home by 1400. And will really make the bucks in 2015 if he can get it home by 1300.