Grounds growth

bbsam

Staff member
The Express business model requires employees, and R1a exhaustively explained why, so I'm not going to cover old territory. If Smith could have done it, he would have already done so....long ago.
Not quite right. R1a in fact said that a good portion of what Express does could in fact be covered by a contracted work

MAKAVELI

The unemployment rates wouldn't be a drop in the bucket compared to someone working everyday, but the pr side is another thing.
If you been around for awhile, you would know how much FedEx values its public image. Besides there's no need for layoffs when they just cut benefits and raises every year.

P

prodriver

If you been around for awhile, you would know how much FedEx values its public image. Besides there's no need for layoffs when they just cut benefits and raises every year.

You misunderstood I said the PR side is another thing meaning they wouldn't want that out in open.

STFXG

I'm assuming you can prove me wrong.
I don't need to prove anything. You made a statement based on no knowledge of the costs. Do you know the cost of unemployment insurance? The amount the rate would raise? How many would need to file claims before the rate raises? Do you know a single thing on the subject? Or just talking out of your ass again?

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

I don't need to prove anything. You made a statement based on no knowledge of the costs. Do you know the cost of unemployment insurance? The amount the rate would raise? How many would need to file claims before the rate raises? Do you know a single thing on the subject? Or just talking out of your ass again?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Talking out of your ass is your specialty. FedEx has already cut express to the bone and cut ft positions through attrition. So yea it would cost them more to layoff employees at this point and their precious pr. So instead of assuming, maybe you should do some research on how Express works.

STFXG

Talking out of your ass is your specialty. FedEx has already cut express to the bone and cut ft positions through attrition. So yea it would cost them more to layoff employees at this point and their precious pr. So instead of assuming, maybe you should do some research on how Express works.

I'll agree with you there. Talking out of my ass is my specialty. I can BS with the best of'em ;).

Sent using BrownCafe App

MaineGroundDriver

Brand new building being built a bit to my South, while our terminal is nearly doubling in size this Fall with an expansion construction. Yes, Ground is continuing to expand. It seems like something big is in the pipeline. "They" say it's preparation for future growth, but it seems like with such substantial investments being made, there has to be something almost guaranteed in the works?

M I Indy

All that expansion had been planned for some time, just had to wait and see how much was left in the litigation pool. Since you had a settlement in the works, Fed Ex liked the terms, all Maine projects forward. Some people on here are aghast at how much contractors lawyers got, think how much Fed Ex's fancy big name law firms get. They can't even get a win, just settlements, and are paid so many times more than the local lawyer. Why not just give it to you from the start, instead of giving it to mouthpieces.

bbsam

Staff member
All that expansion had been planned for some time, just had to wait and see how much was left in the litigation pool. Since you had a settlement in the works, Fed Ex liked the terms, all Maine projects forward. Some people on here are aghast at how much contractors lawyers got, think how much Fed Ex's fancy big name law firms get. They can't even get a win, just settlements, and are paid so many times more than the local lawyer. Why not just give it to you from the start, instead of giving it to mouthpieces.
I doubt it had to do with litigation. The plans for our building had been around for about seven years. A lot was put on hold in late 2007 when the economy tanked. The race to expand has more to do with catching up on those things put on hold. Even if MFE's wet dream came true tomorrow and Ground was ordered to make all contractors, ISP's, and their drivers employees of Ground, they'd still need the hub and station expansions to handle the current and expected growth volume.

upsyo

I doubt it had to do with litigation. The plans for our building had been around for about seven years. A lot was put on hold in late 2007 when the economy tanked. The race to expand has more to do with catching up on those things put on hold. Even if MFE's wet dream came true tomorrow and Ground was ordered to make all contractors, ISP's, and their drivers employees of Ground, they'd still need the hub and station expansions to handle the current and expected growth volume.

bbsam,

what are they going to do with the building they have now? It's not that old.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,

what are they going to do with the building they have now? It's not that old.
Not sure. But Ground leases it so I imagine the owners might look for another trucking company to move in. The UPS facility down the road would make a good fit. I talked to one of the old-timers from there last week and there's rumor that they are planning a "T" off the back "dog house".

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
My terminal is splitting in half, with the corresponding HD routes taking up our fairly new and expanded facility.

The half leaving, the HD half corresponding will be in the new facility.

My area was already split up with the Great Lakes facility opening a few years ago. Package volume was literally equalled within a year after an entire belt left us.

M I Indy

Not sure. But Ground leases it so I imagine the owners might look for another trucking company to move in. The UPS facility down the road would make a good fit. I talked to one of the old-timers from there last week and there's rumor that they are planning a "T" off the back "dog house".

Thank you for making my point. Not that big of an investment in the grand scope, when you only lease, merely litigation money. Doesn't affect the fat cats bottom line and keeps stockholders happy.

bbsam

Staff member
Thank you for making my point. Not that big of an investment in the grand scope, when you only lease, merely litigation money. Doesn't affect the fat cats bottom line and keeps stockholders happy.
That makes no sense at all.