GRUESOME injury...do NOT look if you are squeamish!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
dannyboy,

Thanks!

I looked there first and didn't find it.

I realized I was missing the first section.

Thanks to you I was able to correct this oversight.

Sincerely,
I

There is no OSHA req that states it's a violation to allow or require employees to wear loose clothing or jewelry or the carry or wear a key ring on their finger while walking or performing normal driver duties.

Kind of scary to think, but if there were, drivers would likely be wearing tight fitting brown spandex on their completely jewelry-less (rings, watches) person during all work hours. I prefer the risk of the key ring on the finger.

SmithBarney

I always kept a spare bulkhead door key hidden up front.

Every PC in our center had a spare bulkhead door key in the pouch with the insurance info, and every PC had a spare ignition key in the back of the truck
usually hanging somewhere. cept the sprinters, and F350 4x4

Don't know how many times I almost hooked the ring on the door handle... always though one of those retractable Janitor key ring thingys would
be great, although we'd probably wear it out in a week yanking on that 300 times a day.

over9five

Staff member
Every PC in our center had a spare bulkhead door key in the pouch with the insurance info, and every PC had a spare ignition key in the back of the truck
usually hanging somewhere. cept the sprinters, and F350 4x4.

Great idea. Someone's thinking over there!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
??? who took the pic?? every time i impale myself with something i instantly yank it out,, impressive,, she was goin for the wow factor
HF

Yanking things out yourself instantly is a good way to increase the damage. As for someone going for the wow factor, not everyone is like you.

Its called documentation. And it can be done with a cell phone. A good idea in most cases, especially at UPS. Like the saying goes, a pic is worth a thousand words.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Every PC in our center had a spare bulkhead door key in the pouch with the insurance info....

My old route was right next to our center's designated training route, so it usually fell to me to "go and bail out the new guy" whenever he had a problem.

My supervisors got tired of having to drive all the way out on area whenever the "new guy" locked his keys in the back...so instead of a standard bulkhead door key, I was given a master key that would open any lock in the center. It was pretty much a gurantee that, at some point during their first 30 days, I would get the call to go and open their bulkhead door for them.

whiskey

A driver in a nearby building slipped on some ice and she instinctively tried to break her fall by putting her hands down. One of her hands had the keyring around one finger as per the methods....and the key went clear thru her hand and had to be surgically removed. One more good reason to put your keys in your pocket instead of around your finger......:sick:

"Was she wearing the winter issue UPS cleats?" That would be the first sentence out of her soups mouth.
Those cleats easily fit over any shoe or boot.

View attachment 5061

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I had another poster ask me about a post by FracusBrown that somehow I had overlooked where he made the following statement
There is no OSHA req that states it's a violation to allow or require employees to wear loose clothing or jewelry or the carry or wear a key ring on their finger while walking or performing normal driver duties.

Kind of scary to think, but if there were, drivers would likely be wearing tight fitting brown spandex on their completely jewelry-less (rings, watches) person during all work hours. I prefer the risk of the key ring on the finger
While he was attempting to be funny in the second half of the post, he is technically correct in the statement that it does not specifically prohibit.

But that is the problem when you have someone that is viewing only the written word for exact fits to what you are trying to prove or disprove.

First, anyone care to guess how many deaths there have been over the last 10 years by persons being pulled into conveyor systems by clothes? Any one care to guess how many injuries due to fingers etc getting into conveyors? Which of the three (UPS, Fedex, Postal Service) has had the most deaths with conveyors?

Now on to addressing Fracus's statement. Yes, Osha regulations do not specifically state that you can not wear loose fitting clothing or jewelry at work. But what it does do is build a very strong case to not allow it. And this is the reasonings that we used to not carry keys on fingers at work. The excerpt below details the process in detail and can be be found at safety community.com

OSHA has published a booklet, Hand and Power Tools (OSHA 3080), where page 4 states: "Wear proper apparel for the task. Loose clothing, ties, or jewelry can become caught in moving parts."

In another publication, Concepts & Techniques Of Machine Safeguarding (OSHA 3067), OSHA includes a Machine Guarding Checklist where one of the items under the heading Protective Equipment and Proper Clothing is, "Is the operator dressed safely for the job (i.e., no loose-fitting clothing or jewelry)? In the last paragraph of chapter one, Basics of Machine Safeguarding, this publication states: "Other parts of the worker's clothing may present additional safety hazards. For example, loose-fitting shirts might possibly become entangled in rotating spindles or other kinds of moving machinery. Jewelry, such as bracelets and rings, can catch on machine parts or stock and lead to serious injury by pulling a hand into the danger area."

Under Section 5 of the OSHA Act (the General Duty clause):

a) Each employer -

(1) shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees;

(2) shall comply with occupational safety and health standards promulgated under this Act.
If the employer has recognized that wearing loose chains, jewelry, loose clothing, or other items is a hazard likely to cause serious physical harm, he has an obligation to address this hazard under the General Duty clause.

Not only has OSHA identified it as a problem that employers need to address on their own, they have a training video that addresses the same issue.

So yes, he is technically correct in his statement. But we were also correct in that we can prove that OSHA knows there is a serious issue, it has produced information to that effect, and it has instructed employers to develop plans to keep situations that have proved themselves to be dangerous to employees from existing.

This is also why UPS has developed guidelines for sups wearing ties in the workplace, long hair that can not be loose etc.

I hope this clears it up?

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
"Was she wearing the winter issue UPS cleats?" That would be the first sentence out of her soups mouth.
Those cleats easily fit over any shoe or boot. WHISKEY

I fell in OUR PARKING LOT, and yes when asked I had my cleats on after pickups. Then when I returned to my building, I took them off as walking on bare cement or asphalt is very uncomfortable with the type we have. You would think with the constant preaching of safety, they would clear our parking lot, or at least salt it when no one is there in the middle of the night, it could easily be done.

I went down and didnt even know I was going. I had a few choice words when called at home by the Gods to see if I was OK. I walk all the lots, the unshoveled drives, the iced up steps and I was fine all winter. Would you not expect that the doors we must use, the lots we must walk, the gas pumps areas we must traverse, would be safe. No one cared if I was hurt, they just knew they screwed up by not practicing what they preach, and knew I could have made a big deal out of it, and for some strange reason I didnt. Should have. But I had my say. The next day it was slushy and salted, a week later, slicker than snot. it only counts when we screw up, not them.

over9five

Staff member
CHEMA was built in the middle of wetlands. We can't use salt here, so they use tons of sand. They do a good job IMO, of keeping a very large, VERY busy facility clear of snow.
But we've had a lot of slips/falls this year. You just can't get rid of all the ice without salt.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was walking down some rickety stairs last week and my foot sliipped. Down I went. I was using 3 points of contact with one hand on the stair rail. The railing came with me. Judging by the 50 nails sticking out of one end it wasn't the first time the railing came off.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The reality is that if you put a human being in a truck and send him out into the world to get in and out of that truck 1000+times per week delivering and picking up thousands of packages per week under a virtually infinite variety of conditions...it becomes a statisitical certainty that at some point that human being is gonna fall on his ass. And requiring him to recite a commentary or pass a Keter audit isnt going to change that.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But the real question is that when he falls, does reciting the commentary cause it to hurt less? Ive never tried it, so I dont know. All that ever went through my mind was "Oh shnit, this is gonna hurt"

Maybe if they passed around some candy bars............

d