GRUESOME injury...do NOT look if you are squeamish!

JonFrum

. . . Osha regulations do not specifically state that you can not wear loose fitting clothing or jewelry at work. But what it does do is build a very strong case to not allow it. And this is the reasonings that we used to not carry keys on fingers at work. The excerpt below details the process in detail and can be be found at safety community.com

Not only has OSHA identified it as a problem that employers need to address on their own, they have a training video that addresses the same issue

So yes, he is technically correct in his statement. But we were also correct in that we can prove that OSHA knows there is a serious issue, it has produced information to that effect, and it has instructed employers to develop plans to keep situations that have proved themselves to be dangerous to employees from existing.

This is also why UPS has developed guidelines for sups wearing ties in the workplace, long hair that can not be loose etc.

I hope this clears it up?

d
Speaking of loose clothing getting caught in machinery, what about those of us required to wear reflective safety vests? I've had to wear one for years now every moment I'm on duty because my job has me going in and out of the building constantly. The vest is loose, sleeveless, and held together with thick Velcro seams. The edges and overlaping seems catch on every corner, handle, and rough edge.

The Velcro is intended to break away before I get sucked into a conveyor belt, but the vest's design makes it all the more likely to get me injured other ways. Every time it snags on something it's because I'm in motion going up or down a ladder or steps, or I'm walking briskly. When I feel the unexpected tug and hear the rip of the Velcro as it starts to come apart, it breaks my momentum. It's as if you were trying to jump a puddle and changed your mind at the very last moment. You'll probably get wet as a result of your mid-course "correction."

Most of the snags are just annoying. But sometimes they cause me to miss my step or to miss the hand rail I was about to grab, or to bump into something I would have avoided if not for the unexpected mid-course correction.

These safety vests aren't as safe as you probably think. They're cheap; made in China. The overlap of one Velcro strip upon another means the bulky seams themselves will catch on anything. Normal sewn seams on normal garments are smooth and will brush against an object without snagging.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jon

They are only designed to come apart if it catches on the conveyor. Problem is not that it comes apart, it still has your head/neck and two arms in the vest. Those are what get twisted in the belt. So yes, they are unsafe, just as much as any other form of loose clothing. You might bring this up and use the link above as a reference? It helps.

The safety vest for UPSers is another safety knee jerk reaction by someone sitting behind a desk, without a clue as to the ramifications of the decree.

d

Channahon

And yet another issue of UPS methods, and a painful injury, I can assure you UPS cannot think of every possible injury to an employee. I will tell you the methods at UPS are the most effective way to do the job, safely and effectively for both the employee and UPS. There are many studies done, prior to any impementation of methods. This is the same methods used since I started at UPS in 1978 and have trained drivers throughout my career. My sympathies to the driver and wishing her a speedy recovery.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I had another poster ask me about a post by FracusBrown that somehow I had overlooked where he made the following statement
While he was attempting to be funny in the second half of the post, he is technically correct in the statement that it does not specifically prohibit.

But that is the problem when you have someone that is viewing only the written word for exact fits to what you are trying to prove or disprove.

First, anyone care to guess how many deaths there have been over the last 10 years by persons being pulled into conveyor systems by clothes? Any one care to guess how many injuries due to fingers etc getting into conveyors? Which of the three (UPS, Fedex, Postal Service) has had the most deaths with conveyors?

Now on to addressing Fracus's statement. Yes, Osha regulations do not specifically state that you can not wear loose fitting clothing or jewelry at work. But what it does do is build a very strong case to not allow it. And this is the reasonings that we used to not carry keys on fingers at work. The excerpt below details the process in detail and can be be found at safety community.com

Not only has OSHA identified it as a problem that employers need to address on their own, they have a training video that addresses the same issue

So yes, he is technically correct in his statement. But we were also correct in that we can prove that OSHA knows there is a serious issue, it has produced information to that effect, and it has instructed employers to develop plans to keep situations that have proved themselves to be dangerous to employees from existing.

This is also why UPS has developed guidelines for sups wearing ties in the workplace, long hair that can not be loose etc.

I hope this clears it up?

d

I agree with not wearing loose fitting clothing rings etc in situations where it is likely to contribute to injury. In the case of the key in the hand there is no logical reason to presume that injury would occur as there are no dangerous machinery or other potential hazards present. Carrying the keys ANYWHERE can cause injury under the right conditions. Whether you put them on your finger, in a pocket, on a belt loop or even in your sock, an injury may occur if you fall on them. The key ring did not get caught, snagged, or drawn into anything. They were fallen upon. Using your logic, waiters should not be allowed to carry beverage containers or silverware in their hand as an injury may occur if they slip and fall.

If OSHA were to take the regulations the level of protection that prohibited wearing a ring at any time or holding keys in the hand at anytime we would have an atmosphere where virtually nothing can be accomplished. Of the millions upon millions of occurrences of keys being held on the finger by drivers, very very few result in significant injury. The risk is virtually nil in this situation.

Spandex, thats no joke. Quite a number of injuries have occurred as drivers get their loose fitting pants and shirts snagged on shift levers, door handles, and other machinery and hazards. Its a worthy cause. As in the emperor's clothes story, only the smart people will be able to see the fine cloth though.

No question - conveyor belts are very dangerous, but have no connection to keys on the finger while walking in open space.

I am not aware of any guideline for not wearing ties. The dress policy was changed, but there is no restriction on ties that I am aware of. I agree that it should be prohibited while working around belts, machinery and vehicles.

JonFrum

. . . Carrying the keys ANYWHERE can cause injury under the right conditions. Whether you put them on your finger, in a pocket, on a belt loop or even in your sock, an injury may occur if you fall on them. . .
True.

But carrying keys loose allows the keys to move out of the way more-or-less freely when you fall on them. Being ordered by UPS to to keep the ring around your finger, anchors the keys to your hand and restricts their ability to slide more-or-less harmlessly out of the way. It's the anchoring of the keys that results in the impalement. It also matters how many keys are required to be on the ring, how big the ring is, and how long the keys are. Generally, fewer keys, bigger ring, shorter keys are best. Has UPS ever thought of this? Have any Safety Committees?
- - - -

As children we were taught: "Don't run with scissors."

Package Car Drivers are taught: Walk briskly. Key ring on finger. Utilize maximum carry. Press on in all weather conditions and circumstances.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If OSHA were to take the regulations the level of protection that prohibited wearing a ring at any time or holding keys in the hand at anytime we would have an atmosphere where virtually nothing can be accomplished. Of the millions upon millions of occurrences of keys being held on the finger by drivers, very very few result in significant injury. The risk is virtually nil in this situation.
First off, there are not millions upon millions that are instructed to carry their key rings around their finger. So while I understand the point that you are attempting to make, you are not using credible information to do so. During my tenure as a driver trainer for area knowledge, and during safety rides, far less than 10% of the drivers I watched in my center and others ever carry their key on their finger.

I never said that carrying a key is dangerous. It is carrying them looped around your finger all day is. There are a lot of hazards during the day that would/could contribute to the key or the ring to catch on something causing injury or loss of that finger. It is every bit as dangerous as loose clothing is around a conveyor belt.

BTW, as far as deaths at UPS, the Postal Service, and FedEx, so far from what I have seen, they both have about twice the number due to conveyors. Not that we do that great a job, they are just worse.

d

I am the one that it happened to, crazy huh? I am a package car driver and am on light duty until my hand heals. My hand is healing well, the key appears to have missed tendons and nerves. Doc says I should be OK...just lots of physical therapy. Thankful it was not as bad as it could have been! :)

My first reaction was to pull the key out, but when I looked at it and realized how deep it was I hesitated. Then a couple of ladies saw what happened and told me not to pull the key out. I took the picture while waiting in the emergency room for two hours while they reviewed my xrays and determined how to get it out without causing additional damage. They were able to pull it out without surgery. I was very glad not to feel a thing! Although the numbing process was almost as bad as having the key in my hand! Needless to say, "Ouch!!"

Funny thing...the dispatcher didn't fully realize what happened. When I was about to leave in the ambulance the dispatcher asked me to leave the keys for the driver who was going to take over my route. he he he:)... sad thing is I actually contemplated taking the ignition key off and then decided, "Nope, they're both going with me."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Shouldn't you get like some sort of compensation?

She will get paid for the day of the injury (8 hours) and is being paid 8 hours each day for light duty. The medical costs will be covered by the insurance. If anything, due to the "bad sidewalk", she may have a cause of action against the homeowner or municipality depending upon where the sidewalk was.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am the one that it happened to, crazy huh? I am a package car driver and am on light duty until my hand heals. My hand is healing well, the key appears to have missed tendons and nerves. Doc says I should be OK...just lots of physical therapy. Thankful it was not as bad as it could have been! :)

My first reaction was to pull the key out, but when I looked at it and realized how deep it was I hesitated. Then a couple of ladies saw what happened and told me not to pull the key out. I took the picture while waiting in the emergency room for two hours while they reviewed my xrays and determined how to get it out without causing additional damage. They were able to pull it out without surgery. I was very glad not to feel a thing! Although the numbing process was almost as bad as having the key in my hand! Needless to say, "Ouch!!"

Going back to my truck after a delivery...Tripped on a bad sidewalk, and the way I landed the key went straight into my hand.:(

Funny thing...the dispatcher didn't fully realize what happened. When I was about to leave in the ambulance the dispatcher asked me to leave the keys for the driver who was going to take over my route. he he he:)... sad thing is I actually contemplated taking the ignition key off and then decided, "Nope, they're both going with me."
UPSgirlpdx,

How were you treated by the company?

How has the Safety Committee responded to this injury?

Are they taking action to remove the ring on the finger method?

Sincerely,
I

No action to remove that method that I've heard of.:( Very thankful that my hand has healed well! Besides some scar tissue, it is great, total function of my hand back, no nerve damage:)!