Guaranteed Fair Treatment (GFT)

Washu234

One of my good friends went through GFT today after a manager gave him a letter for attendance (after legitimately being sick on multiple occasions - with Doctors notes).

My friend refused to sign the letter saying that it was unpreventable and him was legitimately out each day. The manager called in another manager to sign the letter. My friend subsequently filed for a GFT. The accusing manager was pissed.

My station manager heard the case with HR and made the accusing manager tell my friend why he was not getting a letter. The accusing manager was pissed and my friend was off the hook. :happy-very:

They system worked! ****ty manager looked like an idiot and will hopefully be reprimanded.

I gained a little faith in FedEx today. The obvious bull**** doesn't slip.

Any other GFT success stories?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
One of my good friends went through GFT today after a manager gave him a letter for attendance (after legitimately being sick on multiple occasions - with Doctors notes).

My friend refused to sign the letter saying that it was unpreventable and him was legitimately out each day. The manager called in another manager to sign the letter. My friend subsequently filed for a GFT. The accusing manager was pissed.

My station manager heard the case with HR and made the accusing manager tell my friend why he was not getting a letter. The accusing manager was pissed and my friend was off the hook. :happy-very:

They system worked! ****ty manager looked like an idiot and will hopefully be reprimanded.

I gained a little faith in FedEx today. The obvious bull**** doesn't slip.

Any other GFT success stories?

Nice. Too few and far between. Kudos to your friend for sticking to his guns and not getting intimidated.

FedEx2000

If your friend was out for more than 3 consecutive days, they should have been sent FMLA ppwk by your HCMP, and if approved the time they missed would not count towards attendance ratings. If they just called in sick 10 times (or whatever it takes to fall below "satisfactory") in a rolling 12 month period, regardless of having a doctor's note, they would qualify for PIP. Sounds like the mgr must not have followed the appropriate steps and went straight to a letter.....

FedEx2000

Performance Improvement Process. There must be an OLCC issued stating what your current attendance/punctuality rate is and that if you are late/absent before another late/absent day falls off, then you will be issued a Perf Reminder. The OLCC should be done prior to falling below satisfactory, usually when you are 2 late/absences awway from falling below satisfactory, so as to give ample warning.

radar

I was terminated 9/24 for absence performance falling below 96%. I GFT'd the termination because I had missed 5 days after I had eye surgery, the doctor placed me under restrictions and I could not work. All this documented. I alerted my manager of the upcoming surgery and asked him to schedule me for 5 days sick leave. He said that he could not do that. So all 5 days under the doctor's care he counted against me and issue an OLCC. I missed one day 9/3 that brought me under 96% so he issued another reminder, my third one in 12 months.
I GFT'd it because my manager did not offer alternatives for the time off so it would not count against me. During the OLCC counseling, he suggested that I could have told my doctor that I could return to work. I told my manager that I was not going to risk injury to my eye. He then said to me "oh, but you are willing to risk your job" snickering. I said to him that he is not human and uncaring. Do they teach that kind of employee treatment in FedEx Management training? This manager is not a man of many words, no open door policy.
Anyway, I just filed for the GFT process so I will update this post with the results.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I was terminated 9/24 for absence performance falling below 96%. I GFT'd the termination because I had missed 5 days after I had eye surgery, the doctor placed me under restrictions and I could not work. All this documented. I alerted my manager of the upcoming surgery and asked him to schedule me for 5 days sick leave. He said that he could not do that. So all 5 days under the doctor's care he counted against me and issue an OLCC. I missed one day 9/3 that brought me under 96% so he issued another reminder, my third one in 12 months.
I GFT'd it because my manager did not offer alternatives for the time off so it would not count against me. During the OLCC counseling, he suggested that I could have told my doctor that I could return to work. I told my manager that I was not going to risk injury to my eye. He then said to me "oh, but you are willing to risk your job" snickering. I said to him that he is not human and uncaring. Do they teach that kind of employee treatment in FedEx Management training? This manager is not a man of many words, no open door policy.
Anyway, I just filed for the GFT process so I will update this post with the results.

Did you apply for FMLA leave?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This should have been an FMLA absence. Don't waste your time with GFT...GET AN ATTORNEY NOW, preferably a labor attorney. Most are very familiar with FedEx. Wonder why?

quadro

This should have been an FMLA absence. Don't waste your time with GFT...GET AN ATTORNEY NOW, preferably a labor attorney. Most are very familiar with FedEx. Wonder why?
You have no clue do you? You are giving people legal advice when you clearly don't have all the facts. You have absolutely no idea if this should have been an FMLA absence. Not everyone qualifies for FMLA and rather than ask some questions to where you might actually be able to offer some sound advice, you recommend that this employee go and get an attorney. If it turns out that this should have been covered under FMLA, then in all likelihood the GFT would reinstate this person's job and make them whole again. If they feel like they still need an attorney then fine. Given that this was the third reminder in 12 months the odds are something else is going on.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You have no clue do you? You are giving people legal advice when you clearly don't have all the facts. You have absolutely no idea if this should have been an FMLA absence. Not everyone qualifies for FMLA and rather than ask some questions to where you might actually be able to offer some sound advice, you recommend that this employee go and get an attorney. If it turns out that this should have been covered under FMLA, then in all likelihood the GFT would reinstate this person's job and make them whole again. If they feel like they still need an attorney then fine. Given that this was the third reminder in 12 months the odds are something else is going on.

I'm giving practical advice. When dealing with the loss of your job, you don't eff around with GFT...you get a lawyer. I'll let you trust the GFT process if you are such a believer.

radar

Guys, I appreciate your input. I did argue the FMLA point with the HR rep only to be blown off. I sent him an email quoting the FMLA law and still got NO HELP from HR.
Gee I forgot, HR works to protect FedEx not me.

FedEx2000

Guys, I appreciate your input. I did argue the FMLA point with the HR rep only to be blown off. I sent him an email quoting the FMLA law and still got NO HELP from HR.
Gee I forgot, HR works to protect FedEx not me.

Did you talk to your HCMP as well? That's who handles the FMLA ppwk, not HR.

snackdad

Good Luck, I feel for you. Remember that HR is not on your side at all. They are there to seal the deal for management. Anything you tell them in confidence is fed directly to management to coordinate their efforts against you if they really want to get rid of you. Consider the fact that they may have another reason other than the absences to want you gone. Maybe you tell the truth or stand up to their intimidation.
Document every interaction with them. Keep a notebook with you and next to the phone and above all please consult with an attorney. It is the ONLY language that gets through to FedEx. They can pay now or they can pay later. Good Luck and stand strong. Never sign anything!

radar

Thanks, I do stand strong to their intimidation tactics. I have had it. I do have documentation, in fact a couple of emails to HR and cc'd the senior manager. The senior manager replied to me to call NOT email the HR rep "particularly from a service outside the FedEx network" of course so there is no paper trail. I used an email address outside of FedEx, I did not know that I could not use that, is there a FedEx law against that too? But, he said that on the email reply which I will bring to the GFT meeting with the director. In the email I asked for assistance from the HR rep about the OLCC and the FMLA..... it went into deaf ears. This email clearly shows that my concerns were NOT addressed by HR or senior management.

snackdad

I have emailed both HR and my HCMP manager from my home outside of the FedEx system many times. That request by your senior seems to be based on a rule that is not real. You know that they make this stuff as they go along most of the time anyway.
How many years of service do you have? Are you over 40? There can be many contributing factors to what they are really trying to achieve. FedEx has a strong track record in going against those that stand up for themselves and are not sheep.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Good Luck, I feel for you. Remember that HR is not on your side at all. They are there to seal the deal for management. Anything you tell them in confidence is fed directly to management to coordinate their efforts against you if they really want to get rid of you. Consider the fact that they may have another reason other than the absences to want you gone. Maybe you tell the truth or stand up to their intimidation.
Document every interaction with them. Keep a notebook with you and next to the phone and above all please consult with an attorney. It is the ONLY language that gets through to FedEx. They can pay now or they can pay later. Good Luck and stand strong. Never sign anything!

What he said. HR is just there to support management. They are genuinely afraid of lawyers, especially good ones.

radar

I only have 2.5 years here and I am over 40 but can keep up with the best of the young workers. I DO know that they make up stuff as they go, I have heard also that they "edit" parts of FedEx policies to suit their needs before handing them out to the employees. I really think that FedEx needs to be on the same level of play with UPS as far a labor laws is concerned. It is tough to get up and going to work when you have to come in and face these dictators they call managers, they focus on how you can lose your job, not encourage you to get ahead. There is ZERO moral in my organization, ZERO.