Guaranteed Fair Treatment (GFT)

UPSSOCKS

Just curious, in your earlier post you stated that air drivers top out at $23-24 after 2 years. In this post you state that any PT at UPS that started in 2001 is making around $18.....is that for a handler or what type of job?

At part timer at UPS hired in 2001 does not make $18 an hour... Upstate is wrong...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just curious, in your earlier post you stated that air drivers top out at $23-24 after 2 years. In this post you state that any PT at UPS that started in 2001 is making around $18.....is that for a handler or what type of job?

First off, don't pay attention to SOCKS.

I started in 2001 and make $18/hr as a part-time rate. Yes, that is for an inside package handler job. I started @ $9.50 /hr in 2001 and the raises have added up to around $8.50. However, I don't work PT so my rate is different.

PT Air driver has a 2 year wage progression and currently tops out near 23 or 24/hr (to my knowledge)
FT Air driver has a 2 year wage progression and tops out near 25/hr
FT bid Route or cover driver tops out in 3 years @ near 30/hr
FT inside only 22.3 makes near 25/hr (same as a FT air driver)

A P/T INSIDE employee tops out near 30/hr, however only those hired before 1983 make that money. A P/T'er hired prior to Aug 2002 is making over 17/hr and 2001 (myself) 18/hr. The GWI (wage increases) have run between .60 and $1.20 per year since 1997

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If so many Air drivers are hired off the street, why are there so many posts on here about how people had to be a handler for X amount of years before becoming a driver? Wouldn't it make more sense to hire on as an Air driver, be topped in 2 years, and move over to a FT driver when the opportunity arises? Maybe by "many" you meant "some"? If your goal was to become a driver this route would make much more sense, if possible. Also, from what I have seen posted here, MOST PT benefits at UPS don't kick in until after a year....obviously your contract is different. Do PT handlers get any benefits at UPS? What are the differences vs FT benefits?

20hrs x $24 = $480
40hrs x $15.61 = $624.40 (Starting pay for couriers where I work is $15.61, starting pay for handlers is $12.23)
About $150/week difference......obviously working more hours, but that's after 2 year top out at UPS vs. starting pay at FedEx.
Raises are based on performance reviews, but are usually between 3%-6.5% depending on the review, with the exception of the past 2 years....no raises in 2009, max was 2.2% this year.

Obviously anyone would rather be making $23-24/hr after 2 years vs $16-17, but it all depends on how long you would have to wait to become an Air or FT driver there. If you get hired as an Air driver off the street or move in to that position fairly quickly, then great......depends on your situation and if you can afford to wait it out, as in MrFedEx's case.

A PT air driver still has the same seniority as a PT inside person. However, the air driver can make considerably more money. Both PT groups are looking at a couple, to as many as 10 years to become a FT driver. Usually 2-5 years.

All PT hourly jobs qualify for the same benefits as FT employees, medical dental etc - aside only from disability benefits and a few other smaller perks. ( to my knowledge )

3-6% annual incrase for FedEx drivers seem to be market rate.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A PT air driver still has the same seniority as a PT inside person. However, the air driver can make considerably more money. Both PT groups are looking at a couple, to as many as 10 years to become a FT driver. Usually 2-5 years.

All PT hourly jobs qualify for the same benefits as FT employees, medical dental etc - aside only from disability benefits and a few other smaller perks. ( to my knowledge )

3-6% annual incrase for FedEx drivers seem to be market rate.

If we had received a 3-6% increase per year there wouldn't be that big of a problem right now with our wages. Trouble is, the raises have never been close to those amounts. Add-in the incredible amount of time it takes to top-out, and the lack of any real retirement plan and you have a major disparity between UPS and FedEx. Many of our employees are blissfully unaware of how little they make in comparison to the competition.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If we had received a 3-6% increase per year there wouldn't be that big of a problem right now with our wages. Trouble is, the raises have never been close to those amounts. Add-in the incredible amount of time it takes to top-out, and the lack of any real retirement plan and you have a major disparity between UPS and FedEx. Many of our employees are blissfully unaware of how little they make in comparison to the competition.

Ok, well the past couple years have been 0% and 2.2%? How about during the 1990s?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok, well the past couple years have been 0% and 2.2%? How about during the 1990s?

The 90's would show a similar pattern, which is to never keep up with either UPS or the cost of living. Moving ahead (puny raises) and backwards (in terms of keeping pace) simultaneously are the miracle that is FedEx.

vantexan

Just got an iPod Touch, can't seem to reply directly to posts. My netbook wigged out so guess I'll just observe for awhile. Somebody let me know when FedEx decides to pay better. Or pigs fly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The 90's would show a similar pattern, which is to never keep up with either UPS or the cost of living. Moving ahead (puny raises) and backwards (in terms of keeping pace) simultaneously are the miracle that is FedEx.

I think 3-6% is fair in good economic times.

BadCorp

I work for FedEx and was injured on the job for seven months. When I came back HR told me that my position was eliminated. I was told I have 90 days unpaid leave to find another job in the system or I will be terminated. They brought other people back and not me plus my route was still ran by swing drivers and was posted for others to bid on, so I asked for a GFT package to be sent to my house and HR took four days to tell me that they couldn't send one because I was on unpaid leave and had to submit my grievance to HR by fax.

Does anyone know if this is true or am I being jerked around? I figured if employees that were terminated could get one, why not unpaid leave?

BadCorp

I've called lawyers, but they are all saying to wait the GFT processes out... Most of these lawyers work on a contingency basis, so if they take my case and the GFT goes my way they won't get anything for it. They seem confident that management will come to their senses... I'm not to sure about it myself because this whole thing just seems so corrupt. The company's system makes HR your manager on the 91st day you are out. If they decide to keep you on "displacement" HR stays your manager until you find another job in the system, so I cannot talk to the manager that I had when I was working, I am only to correspond with someone who I don't even know or understands what my job was.

FUFred

What he said. HR is just there to support management. They are genuinely afraid of lawyers, especially good ones.

Listen to Mr. Fedex, he is right.

I cannot stress this enough. Get a lawyer, learn from my experience. I was fired 5 months ago, ( look up my story not gonna re-post it) my unemployment was contested, I was told I violated Fedex's code of conduct. Long story short, I did get my unemployment because the LAWYER I hired did his job. Matter a fact, FedEx stated under othe to the Administrative Law Judge , " It's Fedex Express' policy that when the fired employee (me) retains legal consul FedEx no longer can be present in the unemployment hearing, Judge we ( my old manger and HR rep) must leave." My old MGR and the HR Guy just walk out of the hearing. GET A LAWYER, it is worth the money. When Fedex has the slightest feeling they no longer can steam roll over you, that they will be cross examined and questioned they run away.

Maui

I've called lawyers, but they are all saying to wait the GFT processes out... Most of these lawyers work on a contingency basis, so if they take my case and the GFT goes my way they won't get anything for it. They seem confident that management will come to their senses... I'm not to sure about it myself because this whole thing just seems so corrupt. The company's system makes HR your manager on the 91st day you are out. If they decide to keep you on "displacement" HR stays your manager until you find another job in the system, so I cannot talk to the manager that I had when I was working, I am only to correspond with someone who I don't even know or understands what my job was.

You are displaced. Your position was not eliminated. At 91 days, the position can be posted. You are in the HR network, but your correspondence is with HCMP. S/he should provide you with a JCATS list of open positions. Since you are displaced you get preference on all openings regardless of your seniority. If you decide to bid on an open position, then you will get it as long as no one has been displaced longer then you has bid on the position. Once you accept the position, your offer letter will come from HCMP.

I have no idea where you are located, but you can get a position anywhere. You are pretty SOL with GFT on this. The only hope is if another position in your previous location is posted. You have first right of refusal on those postings.

Guapo

Well well, Quadro is making our case for us! UPS drivers top out in, what is it, 30 months? But FedEx couriers are barely above the starting wage in 2.5 years. How many months is that again? Thanks Quadro! I wonder if the majority of 2.5 year couriers are happy about that?!! I wonder how many 2.5 year couriers realize how well they'll be doing 10 years from now?

10Years from now they'll be making 1.01 more than a new hire:madashell::madashell: