Guaranteed Hours?

PrimeUPS

Wouldn't someone have to witness them working? I mean if they start at 1:00 and everyone else shows up at 3:00 how do you know what they did in those two hours.

Yes, you can't file on something you didn't see. You're not injured by actions taking place before you arrive or after you leave. If that were the case everyone could piggyback on everyone else's witnessed grievances for any reason.

As for semantics of being asked, he knows what start time is and if he doesn't it is the responsibility of the employee to find out. If I am on vacation and don't know what start time is on Monday, you can be sure I'm calling everyone in my phone to find out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wouldn't someone have to witness them working? I mean if they start at 1:00 and everyone else shows up at 3:00 how do you know what they did in those two hours.
Thank you. Especially the OP who shows up at 5pm. The OP is just pissed off because the sort isn't running as late as last peak so he's not getting as many hours.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes, you can't file on something you didn't see. You're not injured by actions taking place before you arrive or after you leave. If that were the case everyone could piggyback on everyone else's witnessed grievances for any reason.

As for semantics of being asked, he knows what start time is and if he doesn't it is the responsibility of the employee to find out. If I am on vacation and don't know what start time is on Monday, you can be sure I'm calling everyone in my phone to find out.
I don't agree with sups working. However, if I'm gonna waltz into work 2 hours late everyday and then start filing sups working grievances.....I wouldn't be surprised if they're suddenly adequately staffed by 6pm and send my butt home. It works both ways.

I didn't read the other replies, someone may have already answered this.
No, you are not guaranteed 5 hours a night, peak or not.

If you do not show up at the posted start time....you are late. If you are late, technically, you are not even entitled to your 3.5 hour guarantee (this may vary by local...but that's how it is in mine). Technically, you could show up at 5pm and management would have the right to send you home if fully staffed, regardless of whether lower seniority people were working (who showed up ON TIME).
I'm not expecting 5 hours peak or not.. but if i can't get 3.5 and the sort is going down earlier than it does in the middle of the summer because supervisors are working 2 hours early, something doesn't seem right.. hence this thread .

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Maybe a sups working grievance?

If the sups were actually working.

He says they were "bringing up the sort." What does that mean?

He also doesn't show up until 5:00. How does he know the sups were actually working?

I find it hard to believe that the sups were working from 1:00 until 3:00 when the sort started.

Most sups do come in early. They have their work to do. Does not mean that they are doing union work. If someone says they are and they witness it, it is for them to file on. Or for the steward to file on.

If the sups are working, it should be filed on. But the OP, who cannot make it in until 2 hours after his start time, who did not witness the sups working, has no basis to grieve it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Who's doing all the work before 5pm then?!??! Magical elves?

That was sarcasm but yes, you are correct. You need FACT that supervisors are doing the work.
Ummm.....the posted start time was 3pm according to the OP, so I'm assuming employees were working from 3 to 5pm.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm not expecting 5 hours peak or not.. but if i can't get 3.5 and the sort is going down earlier than it does in the middle of the summer because supervisors are working 2 hours early, something doesn't seem right.. hence this thread .

You are still guaranteed your 3.5 paid hours, unless you are willing going home when they tell you they are done. Demand 3.5 hours work and if they can't offer it to you then they still have to pay you your guarantee. But if you willingly bounce early then you're SOL.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's 5:46pm in the Southeast U.S....shouldn't you be at work??

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You are still guaranteed your 3.5 paid hours, unless you are willing going home when they tell you they are done. Demand 3.5 hours work and if they can't offer it to you then they still have to pay you your guarantee. But if you willingly bounce early then you're SOL.
If he's late for his shift....he is not entitled to his guarantee.

So based off of the responses my only options are break into security and steal video proof of sups working or just keep on keeping on... I'll take the latter lol thanks guys

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So based off of the responses my only options are break into security and steal video proof of sups working or just keep on keeping on... I'll take the latter lol thanks guys
Again.....it's almost 6pm on a Tuesday. You're crying about hours on this thread....shouldn't you be working?

PrimeUPS

You're basing this on the assumption that somehow sort times are set in stone. A moved load. Canceled CPU account. Change in intra-hub transport, and of course volume up or down can all have drastic effects on how sorts operate. They clearly informed you of the start time, your ability to make that time is your own problem. That's the nature of part-time work, you show up when they want you or you're kinda SOL.

PrimeUPS

4:46 Central.....

He still has a point. Start time was what, 3? You should already be there or trying to be there as soon as possible. So you're there and not working (on this forum), on the way there (it can wait), still at your first job (and thus not working for them), or you're really not that interested in maximizing a paycheck from either job??

He still has a point. Start time was what, 3? You should already be there or trying to be there as soon as possible. So you're there and not working (on this forum), on the way there (it can wait), still at your first job (and thus not working for them), or you're really not that interested in maximizing a paycheck from either job??
Stuck in traffic, but I guess it could wait...