guard check with an attitude

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Yea, we have one or had one, because I do see him anymore. Little too gunho about the job, has to check everything and is super intrested in the things in peoples bags. Yet, we are no longer allowed to bring backpacks, only rope bags or plastic ones from a store. I really hate it when they reach in my rope bag, "I'm like man! Why are you touching my things? " within my head.

Complain about him, do it everyday. Tell each soup and manager you see and express your concerns. We used to have another company working out at the shack, but they got way too many complaints about them. So one day they were gone, for good I hope. They werent too friendly either.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The way I look at it is that I wouldn't want to do that job, but I am not above that job.

So when I arrive at the guardshack I'm pleasant and polite as I would be with anyone else (ok most anyone).
I have all my zippers opened like Heffernan suggested and I open my laptop bag & cooler for the guard to inspect. If he/she wants to go through it themselves I don't protest.
I'll ask them about their day ("Any incidents to report?") as sometimes you get a good story such as the fired p/t supervisor who came back and wanted to fight somebody in just her bra.
Get to know their names and let them know yours. I'll breeze right through while they might hassle the guy in front of me. I've even had the supervisor come in to take over from the "new guy" who was going to give me the full anal probe.

Sure, the most expensive package we will insure is $50k and that's almost half of what we make but even some of our senior Feeder drivers have been busted for stealing stuff (not at the guardshack of course), so it's a necessary evil. Fighting with them just makes me late & irritated.

I find this works with most any security, even the TSA.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will be polite and patient with the security, but if it gets to the point where he is wasting my time and just being a dick, then I will just ignore him and walk through the metal detector without stopping to empty my pockets or bag. I have had them yell at me to stop, but I have never had one chase me into the building or out to my car. They usually get the message after that.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I love screwing with these people. We have about 5 of them that rotate between the front gate, the back gate, and the parking lot entrance. 3 of them are very cool, do what they have to do, and that's the end of it. Two of them are very over-zealous and take their work far too serious, those are the ones I sarcastically greet as "tough guy", I critique their uniforms, ask them what their 3rd general order is, etc.

UPS is only concerned about what leaves their building at my location, not what comes in. We have two metal detectors at my location, one on the way in, one on the way out. The one on the way in hasn't made a sound in years, I'm not even sure it's plugged in to be honest. The one on the way out of course beeps every time. You could walk through ass-naked and it would still go off and you'd still get wanded down. It's sort of funny until you think about what someone who has snapped could be bringing INTO the building; then it becomes frightening.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I love screwing with these people. We have about 5 of them that rotate between the front gate, the back gate, and the parking lot entrance. 3 of them are very cool, do what they have to do, and that's the end of it. Two of them are very over-zealous and take their work far too serious, those are the ones I sarcastically greet as "tough guy", I critique their uniforms, ask them what their 3rd general order is, etc.

UPS is only concerned about what leaves their building at my location, not what comes in. We have two metal detectors at my location, one on the way in, one on the way out. The one on the way in hasn't made a sound in years, I'm not even sure it's plugged in to be honest. The one on the way out of course beeps every time. You could walk through ass-naked and it would still go off and you'd still get wanded down. It's sort of funny until you think about what someone who has snapped could be bringing INTO the building; then it becomes frightening.

For some odd reason, I cant take my box cutter in or out of the building. This tool is often a very handy item with practical uses. Cutting snakes, reshaping and/ or rewraping boxes. Yet a 2 cent piece of metal is deemed a weapon, flash back to 9/11. I know a ton of drivers carry their own, because I've seen them.

The scanners at out HUB go off on my all the time, thanks to the steal toe shoe I wear, in or out. I was even asked to take my shoes off once after I went threw, which is a bit exterme.

Our buildings sound similar too. Theres about 3-4 who are cool and the other 2-3 that are overzealous about anything.

EmraldArcher

Sounds like my hub.

Every day I would be clear going in and beep coming out. One day I finally mentioned it to the "ranking officer" on the security crew and ever since I beep every day both ways.

Of course I question the point of even having security if they don't bother to find out why it beeped. All they do is wand you and send you on your way.

jaker

trolling
I guess this is a benefit about working in a small hub , no guards and we don't have metal detectors

But I couldn't prove I work for ups if it wasn't for the checks

upser92

I guess this is a benefit about working in a small hub , no guards and we don't have metal detectors

But I couldn't prove I work for ups if it wasn't for the checks

Haha this. On Midnights there would be a full house of people without those pink passes waiting to get signed in and I remember one time I left mine at home and they wouldn't let a sup sign me in since he wasn't my FT or PT one. I mean it's like come on dude whatta think? That on a Friday night I'm going to develop some secret plan so some sup can sign me in and I can load/unload for free? Get real

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
For some odd reason, I cant take my box cutter in or out of the building. This tool is often a very handy item with practical uses. Cutting snakes, reshaping and/ or rewraping boxes. Yet a 2 cent piece of metal is deemed a weapon, flash back to 9/11. I know a ton of drivers carry their own, because I've seen them.

The scanners at out HUB go off on my all the time, thanks to the steal toe shoe I wear, in or out. I was even asked to take my shoes off once after I went threw, which is a bit exterme.

Our buildings sound similar too. Theres about 3-4 who are cool and the other 2-3 that are overzealous about anything.

I forgot that I use to have a box cutter. It was very useful in cutting out all the COD tags I had and opening package slip envelopes for the customers.

Nimnim

The Nim
Yeah, here in the Orlando hub it can be hit or miss. I throw my bag on the table top open and give them time to check the bag, sometimes they do sometimes they don't. I never set off the metal detector but if there's someone new who insists on doing the most thorough job checking and not doing it quickly, I stand right in the way so no one else can pass through until they're done. After a couple times they get the hint and either speed up or skim it.

Sorry, even though being a Pt worker for 7 years isn't the best paying position it's not worth losing stealing something less than 10k.

Nimnim

The Nim
Actually, it's really not worth losing for 10k, but I just can't get my mind around the people who are stupid enough to get caught stealing things worth at most a couple hundred.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Actually, it's really not worth losing for 10k, but I just can't get my mind around the people who are stupid enough to get caught stealing things worth at most a couple hundred.
I knew what you meant. We had a kid that thought some trees(air fresheners) and a stupid $5 dvd was worth his job. The morning he stole the DVD was the morning he told us on break he was going to be a daddy, again. Great role model.