Guard Shack Question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Showtime9, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Showtime9

Showtime9 New Member

So this is my first time here, really don't even know if this is the right place. I'm a volunteer firefighter, and work at UPS part time. The problem I have is with this peak crap, my hours are overlapping with the fire department and I have to carry a pager now, rather than working shifts at the firehouse, meaning i'd respond from work/home. Would I be allowed to bring my pager through the guard shack? I mean it has the department name and everything on it, and it's worn looking, obviously not something someone would steal. I'm in Louisville, KY if that helps any.

2. BCFan

BCFan Active Member

Get a sticker from LP

3. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

As a First Responder I would imagine there are State if not Federal laws or guidelines to cover your situation. Ask your Fire Chief for guidance.

4. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

They should give you a UPS cell phone sticker (like BCFan said) , as they do for stewards/supervisors. I can't see any reasonable sort manager not giving a volunteer firefighter a cell phone pass.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Does the company have to make accomodations for a volunteer fire fighter to leave work early if the needed were to arise?

6. PT Car Washer

I would hope sure hope any company would make accommodations for any emergency first responder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There is a difference between an emergency first responder and a volunteer fireman.

8. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

The short answer is no, barring any local/state laws related to relieving a volunteer firefighter from work duties to act in such capacity. But they should make some sort of effort if it's not a constant thing.

9. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

Bet your answer would be different if it was your house that was on fire and he was needed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

So bagels. Your saying you dissagree. Once again. Lol. Wow. Shocker

11. PT Car Washer

In smaller communities without a professional fire department volunteer fireman are the first responders. Anything from a house fire to heart attacks to auto accidents.