Guide for delivering packages

porkwagon

When I'm at a business & can't get a signature for whatever reason, but feel the need to leave the parcels, I just scan, big arrow down, deliver, other, it'll bring up a blank where you left it, I put reception (or wherever), scan an info notice, actually fill one out & leave it with the parcels if it's more than 1 or 2, otherwise, I crumple & pitch it. REL comes up, [emoji818]️, peace out. I know it's not proper methods, but it works for me, since no one has ever properly shown me how to do an indirect/pre record left at delivery.
I've been doing it that way since the 1z codes were born. When we were still on paper I might have sheeted wrong numbers from time to time for a sketchy DR.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Churches are residences. It is a house of God. DR away my child.

Yes, well where this particular house of God is located, there are a number of transients and crackheads. Any package that's not nailed down in these parts will go missing.

See this is ridiculous. This is a prime example of why this Orion system sounds like a bunch of crap. They stress so much about not having late air and then they want you to follow a system that designates your first stop for a business that doesn't open until 11am, isn't NDA, and you have 17 NDA stops??!! There are too many variables within different routes to be able to have every route adhere to a system like this.

They have ways of adjusting the system to optimize the run. It's actually pretty impressive.

They can change AM & PM "trace importance", it has a "depart time" feature that allows the system to determine how much ground can be done before 10:30, they can pull up a particular address and enter open and close times, they can highlight areas on the map and make it so you finish or start your day in that particular area, they can set it up where if you have a particular residential section (say something that's relatively far from the center of your route) that ORION will not make you come out of that section until it's all done, they can change delivery points (say 100 Maple is delivered at the back of the building on Oak Street, that can be changed).

The biggest problems with ORION, at least in my opinion, are that it's too in-depth (all the controls), it's time-based (what if you hit traffic; break down?), and it is a computer application that doesn't have the ability to reason (unsafe K & U turns).

I've been working (compensated, of course) with a sup a few minutes each day making ORION "smarter".

Every day the difference is a little bit more noticeable, and the funniest (or saddest, depending upon which side you're on) part is that every day that goes by, ORION gets a little bit closer to mirroring how I ran my route for years.

worldwide

When I'm at a business & can't get a signature for whatever reason, but feel the need to leave the parcels, I just scan, big arrow down, deliver, other, it'll bring up a blank where you left it, I put reception (or wherever), scan an info notice, actually fill one out & leave it with the parcels if it's more than 1 or 2, otherwise, I crumple & pitch it. REL comes up, [emoji818]️, peace out. I know it's not proper methods, but it works for me, since no one has ever properly shown me how to do an indirect/pre record left at delivery.

Here's the problem created when a commercial stop is DR'd.

The system assumes that any package DR'd is a residential location since that is the only location that is authorized to be DR'd.

The UPS billing system compares how the package was processed by the shipper (commercial or residential) with how it was recorded at delivery (commercial or residential).

Once DR is selected upon delivery, the billing system will automatically charge the shipper a residential delivery fee (assuming the package was processed as a commercial shipment). The current residential delivery fee for ground packages is $3.10.

You may be doing the receiver a favor by DR'ing the package but it is increasing the cost for the shipper who made a reasonable assumption that the commercial shipment would be treated, and charged, like a commercial shipment. In fact, the shipper may have charged the receiver shipping costs based on a commercial delivery so by DR'ing the package, you have caused a billing adjustment for the shipper which in turns causes them to be upset at UPS. The shipper then calls UPS to ask why the package was DR'd at a commercial location and then an e-mail is generated to the center and the OMS has to investigate. The shipper may or may not get a billing adjustment credit. If it happens enough times, the shipper may simply leave UPS and switch to a competitor.

Why not just get a signature at a commercial location per UPS policy? That is what we tell the customer will happen - a signature will be obtained at a commercial location. We don't tell the customer that we will make "side deals" with receivers and DR when it is convenient for them and the driver.

From the UPS tariff: "Residential refers to an address that is a
home, including, but not limited to, a business operating out of a home. If an address can be construed as either Residential or Commercial,
then it will be considered Residential. Commercial refers to any address that is not Residential."

In the case of a church or rectory/convent/parsonage, if there is an entrance to the public, it's considered a commercial delivery. If the rectory/convent/parsonage is a private residence, it's a residential delivery.

theslinger

Out here, a diad training told us to treat church's as commercial. Even if you delivering to a clergyman , who lives on the property. Ok, WAD.

S

selfcancelsignal

Here's the problem created when a commercial stop is DR'd.

The system assumes that any package DR'd is a residential location since that is the only location that is authorized to be DR'd.

The UPS billing system compares how the package was processed by the shipper (commercial or residential) with how it was recorded at delivery (commercial or residential).

Once DR is selected upon delivery, the billing system will automatically charge the shipper a residential delivery fee (assuming the package was processed as a commercial shipment). The current residential delivery fee for ground packages is $3.10.

You may be doing the receiver a favor by DR'ing the package but it is increasing the cost for the shipper who made a reasonable assumption that the commercial shipment would be treated, and charged, like a commercial shipment. In fact, the shipper may have charged the receiver shipping costs based on a commercial delivery so by DR'ing the package, you have caused a billing adjustment for the shipper which in turns causes them to be upset at UPS. The shipper then calls UPS to ask why the package was DR'd at a commercial location and then an e-mail is generated to the center and the OMS has to investigate. The shipper may or may not get a billing adjustment credit. If it happens enough times, the shipper may simply leave UPS and switch to a competitor.

Why not just get a signature at a commercial location per UPS policy? That is what we tell the customer will happen - a signature will be obtained at a commercial location. We don't tell the customer that we will make "side deals" with receivers and DR when it is convenient for them and the driver.

From the UPS tariff: "Residential refers to an address that is a
home, including, but not limited to, a business operating out of a home. If an address can be construed as either Residential or Commercial,
then it will be considered Residential. Commercial refers to any address that is not Residential."

In the case of a church or rectory/convent/parsonage, if there is an entrance to the public, it's considered a commercial delivery. If the rectory/convent/parsonage is a private residence, it's a residential delivery.
It probably screws up billing the way I described how I do it above, too, but I don't flat out DR businesses. I use infonotices, they're just not signed... Most of the time.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
This is a highly accurate portrayal of a USPS package delivery fail. Many of them are bad enough that they don't even get out of their truck.
I had the day off recently and I watched that lazy SOB mail man drive up my drive way (it's pretty long), park, get out with an already filled out "info notice" and walk up to my door and slip it in the door jam without knocking or ringing.

The look on his face when i opened the door before he could take two steps was priceless.

Overpaid Union Thug

I had the day off recently and I watched that lazy SOB mail man drive up my drive way (it's pretty long), park, get out with an already filled out "info notice" and walk up to my door and slip it in the door jam without knocking or ringing.

The look on his face when i opened the door before he could take two steps was priceless.
I've seen them leave packages on top of mailboxes before.

S

selfcancelsignal

Lmfao! I was taught that the only time this was acceptable was when you have something heavy for a 3rd floor apartment w/ or w/o an elevator.

alwaysoverallowed

And then you get things like this....SDN FD
image.jpg

From where I was there was just the door to the Apt no egress going anywhere else except back to the parking lot where I was parked.