Guns - Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns, Cannons, etc.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think of shooting guns as a sport in a way and maybe they can be discussed here without attracting all the Current Events gun protesters.

I have several 9mm pistols.

My latest is a Glock 26 that I use as a conceal carry for self defence.

The question I have is that many of my friends say they want a 40 or 45 for more knock-down.
Any thoughts on that?

oldngray

nowhere special
9mm used to be far inferior but with the right ammunition its pretty close to a 40 in stopping power. A 45 will definitely hit harder at the expense of reduced magazine capacity. Its mostly personal preference that's the deciding factor since all would be effective with proper shot placement.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Ive had guns for a very long time, but only in the last couple years become active with it again. I treat it as sport shooting also. I find target shooting at the range highly addictive. Always trying to get better.

I've been asking the same question as you, and got the same advice as oldngray gave.
I have mags loaded with target loads, a couple stacked with target & self defense, & one with all self defense loads.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I need to get a pistol myself, I have several rifles and shotguns, however I only have a four shot 22 handgun and a ruger old army black powder revolver. I really want something like a 1911.

Marne Vet

I need to get a pistol myself, I have several rifles and shotguns, however I only have a four shot 22 handgun and a ruger old army black powder revolver. I really want something like a 1911.

Carried the 1911A1 when I first got in the Army. Meh. Great stopping power, but terrible accuracy past 25 meters. Mostly due to the fact that these Colts were super old, loose slides, and smooth bores from decades of shooting. You would've had a better chance hitting your enemy by throwing it at him. We then moved on to the M9 Berreta. 9mm, so the punch was a lot less, but highly accurate weapon. I settled on a Springfield XD .40 myself for personal use. Grip safe, trigger safe, round in chamber post signifier, and if you see the firing pin at the back of the slide, it's ready to rock. If you want a weapon for personal protection, check them out. Very nice.

oldngray

nowhere special
Carried the 1911A1 when I first got in the Army. Meh. Great stopping power, but terrible accuracy past 25 meters. Mostly due to the fact that these Colts were super old, loose slides, and smooth bores from decades of shooting. You would've had a better chance hitting your enemy by throwing it at him. We then moved on to the M9 Berreta. 9mm, so the punch was a lot less, but highly accurate weapon. I settled on a Springfield XD .40 myself for personal use. Grip safe, trigger safe, round in chamber post signifier, and if you see the firing pin at the back of the slide, it's ready to rock. If you want a weapon for personal protection, check them out. Very nice.

My first experience with a .45 was also one of those old worn out 1911's. Those were made with a lot of sloppy tolerances to function reliably even before they were worn out. But the 1911 platform IS capable of being very accurate with modifications. That said, I'm not a huge fan of 1911. It was a great weapon but newer pistols have many improvements and simpler designs that I prefer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your info was sort of where I was coming from too MV.
I have a friend with a Sig 1911 and he claims it is as accurate as a Glock or Sig 9mm.
BTW, he has a Springfield XD .40 and says it is his second favorite pistol.

Last edited:

Ouch

I think of shooting guns as a sport in a way and maybe they can be discussed here without attracting all the Current Events gun protesters.

I have several 9mm pistols.

My latest is a Glock 26 that I use as a conceal carry for self defence.

The question I have is that many of my friends say they want a 40 or 45 for more knock-down.
Any thoughts on that?
I have a glock 21. Love it. I love the thought of having a bigger round to send down range. I think their comes a point where practicality comes into play. I believe each caliber has its place. I believe in crowded places a 380 with a good self defense round would be great. Remember your liable for your bullet. If you shoot a 45 in a crowded area and you get a pass thru and hit the person behind you that's not good. I like the 45 cause I can deer hunt with it on shots out to 35-40 yards. I'm getting ready to buy a 380 just for those grocery runs or wal-mart trips where I know it will be crowded. That's just my opinion.

Ouch

I'm actually trying to find the glock 42. No one here seems to have one in Stock yet. How bout you photog seen any around you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm actually trying to find the glock 42. No one here seems to have one in Stock yet. How bout you photog seen any around you?
Have not been looking for it so ... sorry but nope.
I already have a couple of 380s for the reasons you outlined.