had a bulk delivery today in Gateway 2000 boxes. remember them? flashback! lol

themidnightoil

remember the days of delivering the Gateway 2000's? those cow boxes drove me crazy back in the day. I had a downtown route and the whole county government and school district switched to them. would have to 2 trip many times because of the cube size. busted my knuckles so many times in my gas 1000 truck cab because of the large monitor boxes. damn, where were the flat screens then?

isn't Bowflex due to have some new workout machine soon?!?! just kidding.

browniehound

Wow, now that's a blast from the past! Man, your post really highlights how time flies and technology changes so quickly. Those Gateway boxes were circa. 1999-2002 correct? Seems like yesterday to me! Remember it was a multi-piece delivery and all the boxes were heavy? Now, we deliver a computer in 1 box and it weighs 20 lbs. Right?

And remember the Dell deliveries circa 2001? You would get the one large box containing the enormous monitor, another that had the enormous tower, and then the two little speaker boxes from harmon/kardon (or something spelled close to that, lol). Remember that stuff? Ahh,nothing better than good ole' UPS package nostalgia, ha ha ha.

DS

Fenderbender
Remember the yellow books with a place to stamp the 6 digit shipper number?
The measuring chains? We had to staple time cards together if we covered different areas.
Delivery records soaked in freezing rain with carbon paper flying away in the wind.

The Milkman

Remember the yellow books with a place to stamp the 6 digit shipper number?
The measuring chains? We had to staple time cards together if we covered different areas.
Delivery records soaked in freezing rain with carbon paper flying away in the wind.

After reading this post..it bought back all those memories..ASD cards, C.O.D. tags...the 1st NDA labels and yes my pen freezing up in cold weather and those carbon sheets etc...If you remember all these things then you should be retired by now like me..........If not what are you waiting for?:peaceful:

rod

Retired 22 years
I actually pulled out of the building one morning and forgot to shut my rear door on my P-800 and left a trail of cow boxes for a half dozen blocks. Between me and my fellow drivers we gathered them ( and a bunch more odd boxes ) all up and I was on my merry way without management even realizing what I had done. Got away with that screwup.

texan

3223.jpg

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Wow, now that's a blast from the past! Man, your post really highlights how time flies and technology changes so quickly. Those Gateway boxes were circa. 1999-2002 correct? Seems like yesterday to me! Remember it was a multi-piece delivery and all the boxes were heavy? Now, we deliver a computer in 1 box and it weighs 20 lbs. Right?

And remember the Dell deliveries circa 2001? You would get the one large box containing the enormous monitor, another that had the enormous tower, and then the two little speaker boxes from harmon/kardon (or something spelled close to that, lol). Remember that stuff? Ahh,nothing better than good ole' UPS package nostalgia, ha ha ha.
I remember those and I didn't start with UPS until 05.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I remember about 20 years ago Beanie Babies were the craze,and I had 2 different bulk stops of them .People would be lined up outside the stores for the Beanies,and on more than one occasion I had people wanting to buy the entire box before i delivered it

texan

Gateway, what a story.

Gateway was founded on September 5, 1985, on a farm outside Sioux Cityy, Iowa, by Ted Waittt and
Mike Hammond.

Originally called Gateway 2000, it was one of the first widely successful direct sales PC
companies, utilizing a sales model copied from Dell, and playing up its Iowa roots with
low-tech advertisements proclaiming "Computers from Iowa?"

In 1989 Gateway moved its corporate offices and production facilities to North Sioux City, South Dakota.
In line with the Holstein cow mascot, Gateway opened a chain of retail stores called Gateway Country Stores, mostly
in suburbann areas across the United States.

It dropped the "2000" from its name on October 31, 1998. AOL acquired Gateway.net, the online
component of Gateway, Inc., in October 1999 for US$800 million.

Gateway struggled after the dot-com bust and tried several strategies to return to
profitability, including withdrawal from international markets, reduction in the number of retail
stores and most significantly, entering the consumer electronics business.

However, amid widespread complaints about its reputedly poor customer service, none of these
efforts was particularly successful from a financial standpoint, and Gateway continued to suffer
major losses as well as market share in the PC business.

By April 1, 2004, Gateway had announced that it would shut down its 188 remaining stores.

On March 11, 2004, Gateway purchased low-cost PC marketer eMachines, for US$30 million in cash
and 50 million shares of stock, valuing the deal at approximately US$262 million with announced
intentions to keep the eMachines brand.

Gateway has resourced customer support within North America, priding itself as "100% North America-based support".

Gateway also moved build-to-order desktop, laptop, and server manufacturing back to the United States, with the opening of its Gateway Configuration Center in Nashville, Tennessee in September 2006.

It employed 385 people in that location. As of April 2007 Gateway notebook computers were produced
in China and its desktops had "made in Mexico" stickers.

On October 16, 2007, Acer completed its acquisition of Gateway for US$710 million. J.T. Wang, the company's chairman, said in a statement that the acquisition "completes Acer's global footprint, by strengthening our U.S. presence."

Last edited:

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
I think we're dating ourselves when we reminisce about the cow boxes. At the time my first stop was a quasi-military agency which would receive 50-100 Gateways per week. It would also be the same 18" monitors which weighted 72 lbs, hard drives about 35 lbs, the shipment was always sent NDA. Nice bulk stop.