Had an interview for road driver

Brown Note

I filled out an app online and after it was complete it asked me to schedule an interview, and had me chose the date and time.
Thought it was weird that I got an instant interview..but set one up.
It said to be prepared for a road and drug test.

I go to the interview and there was one other person there that ended up being interviewed before me.
Whe he was done he walked out...didn't look like he went on a road test or anything.

The TM walks out and greets me, and I follow him to his office.
He goes over my app, asks me if I know what the job entails, and asks me a few questions like if i'd be willing to work the dock if I have to, or go on a sleeper run. I answer yes to everything.
He then gives me the bad and good of what I can expect starting out at the bottom etc.
He then says the interview is over and that he does a bunch of interviews and choses the most qualified out of the bunch(explains the instant interview).
He gave me his card and said if I have any questions to call him.

Has anyone else been through the same process? Because I didn't take a road test etc, does that mean they aren't really interested and put me in the back burner?
Will he/they at least let me know if im not needed so im not waiting around....I can go look somewhere else?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

upschuck

Call them in a couple days after interview to ask about your status. UPS likes to have people at the ready, so when a need arises they can slot somebody in. Road tests and drug tests cost money so they are not done til the end of the process. Good luck.

P.S. Assuming UPS Freight is like UPS.

sppollock

It all depends on how badly that terminal needs you. At ours we are in the process of hiring 5 city drivers, those instant interviews have been followed up a couple days later with a road test, depending on how well you do on that then they may send you our for your drug test and start the process of a background check. Be prepared to pull a set of doubles for your road test. Good luck, it could take awhile depending on how badly you are needed, we are hurting for drivers here.

Brown Note

It all depends on how badly that terminal needs you. At ours we are in the process of hiring 5 city drivers, those instant interviews have been followed up a couple days later with a road test, depending on how well you do on that then they may send you our for your drug test and start the process of a background check. Be prepared to pull a set of doubles for your road test. Good luck, it could take awhile depending on how badly you are needed, we are hurting for drivers here.

I don't know how bad they need drivers, but the TM said they were hiring a bunch.
Sounds like they might be hhurting for drivers.

On my app I put down I would be available on July 1st.
Do you think they won't bother with me till after that date? I figured they would still go through the process and just put me on as hired on that date, as some companies do this.

It's been a little over a week. I think I'm gonna call the TM and check the status on my app.

I have no problem with the road test or drug test. What worries me is a speeding ticket I got last Sept.
I ended up signing up for traffic safety school, and didn't realize I can't do that with a CDL. I have to setup a court date, and get supervision for it, instead of a conviction on my record. Never got around to it though.

Thanks for the replies.