Hair Length

ETA

Can you tell me what the acceptable hair length is for men? If you know, how is it measured? Can this be found in UPS policy manuals?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can you tell me what the acceptable hair length is for men? If you know, how is it measured? Can this be found in UPS policy manuals?

Hair cannot touch the collar. Sideburns cannot go below the ear lobe. Mustaches cannot go beyond the corners of the mouth.

To avoid any confusion, see the above post from Steve and you will be all set.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
could a man tuck his hair under his hat so it would not touch the collar and be legal?

I guess you could do that, but how long would you want to do this? If you're gonna be hear for any length of time, I'd just cut it to a length that feels comfortable and conforms. mho

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
could a man tuck his hair under his hat so it would not touch the collar and be legal?

Yes. We have a number of male employees with ponytails or extremely long hair. We actually had a grievance filed and won by an employee who was told to cut his hair, and he succesfully argued that he should be able to wear a hat instead.

DS

Fenderbender
one guy we have amazes me that he can hide his hair so well under his hat,when he takes it off ,he looks like maharesh yehesh yogi

rod

Retired 22 years
Nothing really changes at UPS does it? I remember this same conversation taking place in 1971 between me and my center manager. :peaceful: p.s.----------his answer at that time was "don't even think about it".

Cementups

Box Monkey
We had a driver that used to tuck his hair under his hat. He said no until he was finaly harrassed so much he signed his resignation papers. They had been looking for ways toget rid of him for years and finally getting him to sign the papers thru harrassment, they got what hey wanted. the funny thing i that he had it tucked under his hat for close to 2 years and they had no idea how long it was until someone "happened" to see it. He tried to get his job back even if he agreed to cut his hair but they told him too bad since he already signed the papers

ETA

i hate to see those mailmen with ponytails and long ungroomed beards, it looks like they r out on parole,i bet they scare alot of little old ladies when walking across their porches

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

ETA, you never said what kind of a job you have, which is a key point. If you work inside a UPS building and don't come in contact with customers, then any length is alright. If you are a driver or helper dealing with the public, then it is collar length, no beards, and a mustache should be above the corners of your mouth.

ETA

scratch im a driver and get a cut every two weeks, it drives me crazy to wait longer, but while on vaction in another state i seen a driver with a nasty wad of hair under his hat and was wondering about how strict the policy on hair was

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
eta

the policy is that the hair either has to not be below the collar. but it has been grieved that if a driver has long hair, as long as he keeps it covered with a cap or hat, they can keep it.

several of ours had very long hair, both down below the mid back.

one went to his sons ball game, and happened to overhear about the embarassment of his son with his appearance, next day it was short.

Kenny had really curly hair, almost an afro. for years it was very long. one summer it just got too hot, and he cut it off. but both had "won the right" to wear it long, just hidden under the cap.

but as has been posted, for a 70 grand a year job, is it worth the bs?

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I saw a guy in NYC with braids that he kept under a cap. Just wear braids all week and let em out Friday night.
2506449126_0c6a0f88b0.jpg

SPROING!!!
304244640_e8da191953.jpg

UPS Lifer

Nothing really changes at UPS does it? I remember this same conversation taking place in 1971 between me and my center manager. :peaceful: p.s.----------his answer at that time was "don't even think about it".

LOL!!! - Ain't it the truth! Also the beard question never seems to die.

PLEASE .... Let it die!

Of course now - it is all about the tattoo and piercing! LOL!