Hair Length

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't think the Equal Employment act allows UPS to discriminate against someone with long hair, tattoos or anything like that. If they do then what makes race/color, gender or things of this nature off limits? It's a tight rope and a slippery slope we're treading on here.

UPS Lifer

I don't think the Equal Employment act allows UPS to discriminate against someone with long hair, tattoos or anything like that. If they do then what makes race/color, gender or things of this nature off limits? It's a tight rope and a slippery slope we're treading on here.

Steve,
These issues have been brought up time and time again. Appearance guidelines are not discriminatory as long as they do not infringe on religious beliefs. You do have to show that you practice a religion that is in conflict with UPS guidelines though.

Long hair must be able to be tucked under an approved UPS hat and must remain there from punch to punch if you are a service provider who has contact with the general public. Inside people don't necessarily have to meet the same guidelines but safety does take priority. Anything that can be proven to be hazard to the employee or others may be addressed.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Steve,
These issues have been brought up time and time again. Appearance guidelines are not discriminatory as long as they do not infringe on religious beliefs. You do have to show that you practice a religion that is in conflict with UPS guidelines though.

Long hair must be able to be tucked under an approved UPS hat and must remain there from punch to punch if you are a service provider who has contact with the general public. Inside people don't necessarily have to meet the same guidelines but safety does take priority. Anything that can be proven to be hazard to the employee or others may be addressed.

Yeah, the issue does arise.

How about " #%*Milk, got pot?" T-shirt? I saw that one. that particular person had no probs within the parcel prison guidelines? :knockedout:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve,

Gotcha!,
just saying that for the benefit of those with long hair and such. Me, I prefer the haircut you see. Keeps me cool year round and never gets caught in rollers, or belts.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
The no beard policy has always bothered me. I like to grow one in winter, neatly trimmed, no hair on the neck. I really don't believe UPS would care if it were worn this way but you know what would happen if it was allowed. You would have the freaks come out with ZZ Top beards demanding that it isn't fair to them. So, because there always has to be people taking things to the extreme, we cannot have beards, visible tattoos, etc.

Highwayman

I have a hair cut like Steve, It's part of the "flying under the radar" plan at the big brown team. I did my time as a rebel, its just easier to blend in.:whiteflag:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The no beard policy has always bothered me. I like to grow one in winter, neatly trimmed, no hair on the neck. I really don't believe UPS would care if it were worn this way but you know what would happen if it was allowed. You would have the freaks come out with ZZ Top beards demanding that it isn't fair to them. So, because there always has to be people taking things to the extreme, we cannot have beards, visible tattoos, etc.

And that settles the Beards, Tattoos and earrings issue in a nutshell, Thanks JJJ.:happy2:

Treegrower

Steve,

As far as practicing a particular religion, how long before some Mennonite or Muslim or Shik decieds he wants to go driving and as a matter of regilion he has a beard? Just wondering. I 'm sure it must come up in NYC or L.A. no?

UPS Lifer

I really think you hit it on the head. If people did not take it to extremes there would be a lot more tolerance for it.

Here is an issue for ya.... Once upon a time, there was a dress code that did not include shorts BUT did include a bow tie! It was like an act of
congress to get the dress code changed to include shorts nationwide. In fact, it finally had to be written into the contract way back when. Talk about controversy!!!!

UPS Lifer

As far as practicing a particular religion, how long before some Mennonite or Muslim or Shik decieds he wants to go driving and as a matter of regilion he has a beard? Just wondering. I 'm sure it must come up in NYC or L.A. no?

Yes it has.... hence the reason I brought it up. I have seen at least 3 drivers (LA area) with beards because of their religion.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I really think you hit it on the head. If people did not take it to extremes there would be a lot more tolerance for it.

Here is an issue for ya.... Once upon a time, there was a dress code that did not include shorts BUT did include a bow tie! It was like an act of
congress to get the dress code changed to include shorts nationwide. In fact, it finally had to be written into the contract way back when. Talk about controversy!!!!

We don't have to wear bowties anymore?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
We don't have to wear bowties anymore?

Hehe, I wouldn't want to wear a bowtie but I do like those hats with the badges they wore, hmm, I would have to guess it would be in the '50's and before. I saw one pop up on Ebay once. Sometimes you see the badges up for bid too. I have tried to win one but they always go for more than I am willing to spend.

Speaking of hats, I think I am the last driver who actually wears the hat with the fur on the sides. I call it the Elmer Fudd. Yes I know its geeky but it keeps my head warm and doesn't make my head itch like the wool caps.

Ok, thats far enough off topic for me to shut up now :happy2:.

UPS Lifer

Hehe, I wouldn't want to wear a bowtie but I do like those hats with the badges they wore, hmm, I would have to guess it would be in the '50's and before. I saw one pop up on Ebay once. Sometimes you see the badges up for bid too. I have tried to win one but they always go for more than I am willing to spend.

Speaking of hats, I think I am the last driver who actually wears the hat with the fur on the sides. I call it the Elmer Fudd. Yes I know its geeky but it keeps my head warm and doesn't make my head itch like the wool caps.

Those hats were still part of the uniform back in 1973. I still have one. I traded my used hat for a brand new one and only wore it a couple of times, so it is like brand new.... I won't sell it though!

rod

Retired 22 years

I always carried an Elmer Fudd hat in my pkg. car. When the wind was blowing and it was 20 below zero I didn't give a crap what I looked like as long as I was half way comfortable:peaceful:

Channahon

I always carried an Elmer Fudd hat in my pkg. car. When the wind was blowing and it was 20 below zero I didn't give a crap what I looked like as long as I was half way comfortable:peaceful:

I'm with you on this one, and I think at one time UPS issued those hats in cold climates.

Channahon

As far as hair length, Michael Jordan really set the bar, what a great looking, sexy, and fine specimen of the male species in my eyes. You might want to follow his lead.