Hal

Raw

Raw Member
Hal, what local did you work out of? And how can you only be getting $91 unless you were married and divorced a million times. And seriously, did you not check yearly as you were getting close to retirement with Western Conference to see what your retirement actually would be upon retirement? Did you get "80 and out?"

I tell everyone that will listen to me to take a day off of work and go in to the Teamsters office when the Western Conference guy comes around and he will tell you specifically what you will be looking at in retirement if you progress as expected. All you people out there who have been divorced should get your divorce papers into them before you lose them too. I found out when I went in the first time that I had to go to court to have my divorce papers re-addressed specifically to my retirement and what he will NOT be getting. Otherwise, he would have been on the receiving end. That alone would have probably cut at least 10 years off of my life. I'll spend his money he would have been getting at the bar on my next cruise.
Should we take in the divorce papers within a year of retirement or years before? I was under the impression the ex needs to initiate her share of pension paperwork, won`t automatically be sent to her?

upsman68

First thing - we never eat desserts or drink alcoholic drinks or order appetizers - these are ripoffs. I drink water.
At many places, we share an entree.
On Sunday we went to Three Dollar Cafe.
We go to Chili's, The Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Buffalo Wild Wings, O'Charleys, Texas Roadhouse, Logan's Steakhouse, Chinese, Bar-B-Q and so on.
We usually take some leftover's home.
One place we are pushed to get out of at $20 or less is Carrabas which was $30 last time but $25 was with a gift card we got for Christmas. That was sharing an entree.
I usually bring my lunch or buy it at Walmart for $4.
Taco Bell has pretty good stuff on their $1 menu - we eat there a couple times a year.

I hope you at least tip 15% to the servers

If you don't that's kind of cheap

klein

Für Meno :)
I was eating out at a German restaurant (Checkers Munich House) in Fl, just last night.
There were 3 of us.

Wow, they sure don't screw around with tips.
They actually added $16.00 right on the bill ! (jumped from $65 to $81 with tip).
Not that it's a big deal, but I never experienced that before.

Food was awesome by the way (had Wiener Schnitzel, Spaetzle, Gravy, and german potatoe salad), and ofcourse a good German Kristal Weizen Beer.

moreluck

golden ticket member
First thing - we never eat desserts or drink alcoholic drinks or order appetizers - these are ripoffs. I drink water.
We go to Chili's, The Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Buffalo Wild Wings, O'Charleys, Texas Roadhouse, Logan's Steakhouse, Chinese, Bar-B-Q and so on.
One place we are pushed to get out of at $20 or less is Carrabas which was $30 last time but $25 was with a gift card we got for Christmas. That was sharing an entree.
Taco Bell has pretty good stuff on their $1 menu - we eat there a couple times a year.

We pretty much do the same......diabetes dictates "no dessert". We both get water.......sodas are a big rip off. My mug of iced diet coke is in the car already if I want it. Don't need appetizers, or I won't finish my entree. We don't go to the places that serve you a 2" across steak in the middle of a huge platter with one asparagus spear and a sprig of parsley.....big waste of money. After 44 1/2 years, still in love, but ambiance is over-rated. Hubby says that some of the best food still comes out of my kitchen......yep, he's a keeper!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
See bumper sticker "I'm spending my kids inheritence". Between the server and bartender I spend close to $20 on tips when we go out.

Should we take in the divorce papers within a year of retirement or years before? I was under the impression the ex needs to initiate her share of pension paperwork, won`t automatically be sent to her?
When I retired I had to send in a copy of my divorce decree when I sent in the paper work. Also had to send a copy of my new marriage licenses.
I'm getting more than twice what Hal is getting, but I was over 59 1/2 with 23 years. I do pay $200 per month for health insurance.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
More, +1! But anymore, I get to do some of the cooking, and from the way it disappears, it seems to be pretty good. I do make a killer fruit salad. As a kicker, married life has improved dramatically after UPS. Even after she lost hers that brought in $100,000 a year. Been more romance.....sorry, too much information.

As has been said, there is too much missing in the original post. Need more info.

As far as divorce, it is up to the ex's lawyer to go after all your assets, retirement being one of them. IF they dont, be thankful, very very thankful. She can get up to half of it. And that is half of the gross, not what you have left after taxes and insurance. I would recommend at least a year before your retirement on sending papers to the union, so everything that can go wrong has a year to work itself out.

d

Gee, aint you a fun date :) . After the Taco Bell do you also split the bottle of Ammonium A.D?

You should start a new thread in the life after brown forum about restaurants and your quest to find the best deal.

He tried but Klein threatened a plagiarism lawsuit.

upsgrunt

I was eating out at a German restaurant (Checkers Munich House) in Fl, just last night.
There were 3 of us.

Wow, they sure don't screw around with tips.
They actually added $16.00 right on the bill ! (jumped from $65 to $81 with tip).
Not that it's a big deal, but I never experienced that before.

Food was awesome by the way (had Wiener Schnitzel, Spaetzle, Gravy, and german potatoe salad), and ofcourse a good German Kristal Weizen Beer.

I can understand, and have seen, 15% added to the bill of a party of 10 or more, but 25% added to a party of 3? I would have said something about that. Tips are more earned than they are expected.

klein

Für Meno :)
I can understand, and have seen, 15% added to the bill of a party of 10 or more, but 25% added to a party of 3? I would have said something about that. Tips are more earned than they are expected.

The bill was actually $84.00, and they took that as the total price (before the $25.00 restaurant.com coupon).... so therefor they added 18% to $84.00, which is roughly $16.00.
Certainly new to me, but I think a $10 plus tip would have been good enough for 3 people , dining less then 45 minutes ( 1 drink each, no appetizers , nor deserts).
But, I also need to remember, waiters and waitresses, don't even get minimum wages here, no healthcare.
They work for under $3.00/hr !

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
My wife and I go out to eat once a week usually and when we do our bill together is usually less than $20.
I guess if we lived in the Bay area, we would go out once a month.
sir,, lookin at the stream of pics you put on of yourself i find it hard to believe you only eat 10 bucks of food,, more importantly,,, your a cheap O,, 20 bucks??? are you 15??..????? HUH

satellitedriver

But, I also need to remember, waiters and waitresses, don't even get minimum wages here, no healthcare.
They work for under $3.00/hr !
Waitstaff can make far more than minimum wage.
Common practice, in these parts, is $2.50/hr and 8% of the gross sales.
These are the monies reported to the IRS for taxable income, by the restaurant.
Cash tips are up to the individual to report to the IRS.
Often, the cash tips are pooled and divided up equally by the service providers at days end.
It is a fallacy that there is no free health care in America.
Ben Taub Hospital, in the Houston Medical Center, is the pinnacle of free health care in America.
One of the finest trauma/emergency rooms in the world.
From Flu to cancer, none are turned away for lack of money.
http://www.hchdonline.com/about/facilities/bentaubgh.htm

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
More

Actually they make less. THe only time they are required to be paid minumum wage is if the tips they earn, combined with the wage is less than min wage. At least that is the way it was explained to me at the tax office last time I was there for a class.

Klein

I got a good idea for you. Why dont you wait tables for a while, and see what you think service is worth.

And many places have a 20% tip rule for parties. Should not have partied so hard.

I watched the other day at an Italian resterant as a girl waited on a party of four. The bill was in excess of 70 bucks. The service was very well and she busted her behind. They left her 68 cents. That was past low, it was downright cruel. And no, it was not Hoax.

So walk a mile in a waiter's shoes before you think that 10-15% is way too much.

d

moreluck

golden ticket member
More

Actually they make less. THe only time they are required to be paid minumum wage is if the tips they earn, combined with the wage is less than min wage. At least that is the way it was explained to me at the tax office last time I was there for a class.

Klein

I got a good idea for you. Why dont you wait tables for a while, and see what you think service is worth.

And many places have a 20% tip rule for parties. Should not have partied so hard.
I watched the other day at an Italian resterant as a girl waited on a party of four. The bill was in excess of 70 bucks. The service was very well and she busted her behind. They left her 68 cents. That was past low, it was downright cruel. And no, it was not Hoax.

So walk a mile in a waiter's shoes before you think that 10-15% is way too much.

d

I never said 10-15% was too much. You must be drunk. I never partied either....no drugs or alcohol here.
I waited tables as a senior in high school......1965 and was paid about $3 an hour plus tips. Do you really think the pay rate has remained the same for 46 years ????? Be serious.
I also waited tables in an upscale restaurant....you know, 'rack of lamb' type place. Made 25-30% tips and a living wage besides. Best single tip there was $100........!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I never said 10-15% was too much. You must be drunk. I never partied either....no drugs or alcohol here.
I waited tables as a senior in high school......1965 and was paid about $3 an hour plus tips. Do you really think the pay rate has remained the same for 46 years ????? Be serious.
I also waited tables in an upscale restaurant....you know, 'rack of lamb' type place. Made 25-30% tips and a living wage besides. Best single tip there was $100........!!

$3 an hour as a waitress in 1965? Minimum wage when I started working in 1977 was $2.30. Where did you work, the Ritz Carlton?