hall and UPS Health poposal.

kingOFchester

The rallies were not discussions on negotiating tactics. The video posted in this thread is very similar to the video of the rally in Philly that I went to. It is hardly privileged information. I see no reason why IBT felt that it was important to have video removed. Who is to say IBTCOMM isn't UPS trying to get pro union info removed? However I believe it was the IBT and they wanted it removed as it proves that hall made statements that contradicted how he is negotiating.

over9five

Staff member
The rallies were not discussions on negotiating tactics. The video posted in this thread is very similar to the video of the rally in Philly that I went to. It is hardly privileged information. I see no reason why IBT felt that it was important to have video removed. Who is to say IBTCOMM isn't UPS trying to get pro union info removed? However I believe it was the IBT and they wanted it removed as it proves that hall made statements that contradicted how he is negotiating.
My first thought was "Why did you remove it?" As you just said, you really don't know who IBTCOMM is. And he doesn't know who you are either.

kingOFchester

My first thought was "Why did you remove it?" As you just said, you really don't know who IBTCOMM is. And he doesn't know who you are either.

And that was one of my thoughts. But, I did see another video where hall asked that the rally not be videoed. So, my other thought was to respect his wishes, being that this wasn't his first rodeo, and it being the first union/UPS negotiations I had an interest.

But, now that I see that hall was not being honest with us, I feel as though I should of gone with my initial thought of "friend-it, what difference does it make?"

Don't get me wrong, I have no clue of any inside strategy. What I do know is that what he said to us at the rallies is not what he has said later. Even going as far as denying what he said during the rallies. Convenient when you deny what you were saying during the rallies. Also, take a look at the Rally I posted. Is there anything stated that we would not want UPS to hear?

I am still interested in the fact that at the time of the rallies, right after the 30/60/90 was announced, hall mentioned the Teamsters taking over the healthcare for all UPS Teamsters. When you connect all the dots, it smells like this was an option from the beginning. I would even say, that this was a plan that the Teamsters and UPS had in the works from the very beginning. It would be a great way to get the acceptance of the members for the Union to take over as the plan administrator. Benefits UPS, Teamsters and not the members. Get members to fear a large increase in premiums. Dramatically stop negotiations. Run around the country pounding chest at rallies. Then come and "save" everyone by taking over the plan. End result, you look like you fought a hard fight. You fought for the workers, when in reality you are asking many of us to give concessions.

My question, and I do not have the answer, what are the benefits to the Union for taking over the plan? More $'s in accounts? How would this affect the right-to-work states? How does this make you look come election time? Many questions.

balland chain

Good points and good questions..I am in a right to work state and the non union hourlies get the same benefits as I, a member...This insurance thing has me scared to death.. my insurance is already bad with central states..We may benefit if the union becomes the plan administrator , then again once we give them that, we would be stuck with any changes they could make after the contract is ink.. Personally I would rather have my insurance with a separate company. i.e... United Healthcare ( just an example), where we would be able to see the benefits, copays, etc. and we could be locked in to that for the term of the contract knowing exactly what we will get for the next few years..Does any body know what insurance the IBT in DC get ?? Are they like our politicians that get excellent insurance and expect us common folk to get by with inferior ins. ??

kingOFchester

Good points and good questions..I am in a right to work state and the non union hourlies get the same benefits as I, a member...This insurance thing has me scared to death.. my insurance is already bad with central states..We may benefit if the union becomes the plan administrator , then again once we give them that, we would be stuck with any changes they could make after the contract is ink.. Personally I would rather have my insurance with a separate company. i.e... United Healthcare ( just an example), where we would be able to see the benefits, copays, etc. and we could be locked in to that for the term of the contract knowing exactly what we will get for the next few years..Does any body know what insurance the IBT in DC get ?? Are they like our politicians that get excellent insurance and expect us common folk to get by with inferior ins. ??

My feeling is we will all go under one plan. Those of us in a company plan will be moved into this new plan with higher deductibles and higher co pays. Union counting on us being thankful we eluded the 30/60/90. Those of you in the central states plan will be moved into this new plan. You will benefit as there will be no change, and may even see the deductibles go a tad lower and lower co pays. Union counting on you guys being thankful that not only did you elude the 30/60/90, but also ended up with a better plan.

This is where I think this will all end up. With Hall/Hoffa stating this is a fair plan. For some of us this will be concessions. For some of you it may be better then what you have now. My fear, once we are under a Union plan, the Union can change the premiums, co pays and deductibles at any point. If that were to happen, it would be the end of the road for Hoffa/Hall as a fellow driver pointed out to me.

kingOFchester

What about those of us already in union run plans that are not Central States?

What is your plan? Co-pays? Deductibles? Hard to say.

Just a guess on my part is the new plan, if this is how it plays out, would be better then the worse plans out there, worse then the best plans out there. Just a hunch.

It could get the votes as the bottom plan members will be seeing a better plan. The middle of the road plan members may see little or no change. And the top plan members will be the only ones giving concessions. All if fine and good, until the Union comes knocking in a few years and says "Healthcar cost have risen more then expected do to the economic climate, so we have to raise co-pays and or deductibles." And UPS will have nothing to do with it.

John19841

All if fine and good, until the Union comes knocking in a few years and says "Healthcar cost have risen more then expected do to the economic climate, so we have to raise co-pays and or deductibles." And UPS will have nothing to do with it.

Just a thought, But UPS already 'pays' per hour worked for our healthcare. I don't know exactly what it is per hour, but that is how it is administrated, at least in areas already under Union Health plans. Why does it have to be that the amount UPS pays in will be stagnant? If Health Care costs go up, further contracts could be negotiated with rises in the contributions UPS pays, could they not?

The money UPS wants us to pay in, would be to supplement the money that contribute each week. It would be either to lower their total contribution, or as I suspect, to cover the amount they expect it to increase in the near future / life of the contract. I thought they were going to ask for the 30/60/90 and then try to justify it with larger raises, essentially canceling each other out, and breaking even in UPS' eyes.

Evil

I was at the Philly "rally". I heard with my own ears that hall stated he would leave the negotiations table if healthcare was not taken off the table. I posted a link to the full Philly rally here on BC. I was contacted by someone who claimed to be from the office of hall and asked to take down the video. I asked moderators to remove the link. Shortly after the video was removed from Youtube.

Shortly after hall stated he never stated he would stop negotiations if healthcaree was not taken off the table. I found a video from the MA rally where he states UPS had 3 options:

1) Take the crazy proposal off the table (UPS has not done this)
2) If UPS can't provide healthcare for members without us paying co-pays, let the union provide it. (UPS has not accepted this, and interesting enough is that the Union was already considering this path over 2 months ago)
3) Or you can continue down this path and we will take our marbles and go home and see you in July. (Union still negotiating)

Starts at the 9:50 mark.

Qik - Local 25 Rally for a fair contract at UPS Chelmsford, Ma by Carl M - YouTube

hall and Hoffa are not to be trusted. These are the same numbskulls that failed to enforce the current contract, these are the same sellouts that sold us out on split wages and the same crooks that go golfing with Scott Davis on a weekly basis.

iruhnman630

I guess even our union leaders are nothing more than politicians, firing up the masses by saying what the masses want to hear, only to omit any real intention to do it.

Gr8fulMark

https://www.facebook.com/groups/437839712973054/ everyone is invited to keep updated Send Hall and Hoffa A message No Concessions

[h=5]Let Mr Hoffa and Mr Hall
Know How you Feel
Have everyone in your Family send them a Letter

Contact Us

Please be advised that if you have a matter of importance that you would like addressed in an official manner you need to write a letter to the address provided below.

When communicating with the IBT, please be sure to include a return address so that a reply can be made. Also include your local union number, if applicable.

The IBT Shipping Department will not accept packages/letters from non-union carriers. Such mail will be refused and returned to sender. Acceptable carriers are United Parcel Service (UPS) and the United States Postal Service.

Please use the Division and Department descriptions to help you determine the appropriate recipient of your letter, as well as reviewing the areas of responsibility of the General President and the General Secretary-Treasurer. While most departments and divisions have corresponding email addresses, please note that the General President and the General Secretary-Treasurer cannot be communicated with electronically.

Proper Forms of Address:
General President James P. Hoffa
25 Louisiana Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20001

or

General Secretary-Treasurer hall
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Office of the General Secretary-Treasurer
25 Louisiana Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20001

(202) 624-6800[/h]
face book page www.facebook.com/groups/437839712973054/

No Syncro

Is it possible that a Teamster official like hall talked tough at a rally then went marshmallow soft at the negotiating table? Where's Mario Parrucci when you need him?