Halloween....after 24 yrs they finally get it right

Northshoredriver

We were told the same thing..only they are trying key word trying to get more routes in..mondays just aren't busy enough for extra routes so i doubt it will happen.. and i will prob be punching out after 7:00 like usual

brown bomber

brown bomber
I can remember delivering in a residential area when the kids came out..........I played dodge-em w/ the kids and parents........they treated it like a Wal Mart parking lot, without, stop signs or cross-walks, they just thought they were entitled to parade through streets.....one of the scariest delivery days I encountered

DS

Fenderbender
At our PCM on Friday, our center manager told us that her goal for Halloween is to try and get all of the residential deliveries done before dark in order to avoid the obvious safety issues associated with the thousands of children that will be trick or treating.

Extra routes are actually being put in, and preload is being started early in order to gurantee an early wrap up and get us out of the building faster. We will be allowed to start early if our car is loaded and ready to go.

I'm impressed. A thoughtful, logical, proactive approach to a legitimate safety concern. I keep thinking I'm dreaming and that I will wake up on Monday morning to another 11 hr day. This cannot possibly be the UPS that I have grown to love and admire so much!
HA! maybe if they give him enough slack shhh don't tell the shareholders
Sober,are you serious? your center manager may get accolades for this but the truth is overall that caring is for
people that care.UPS has lost many a caring person because they care just a bit too much .
What's up with you being positive about this BS?
Do you really think you will be home early Monday?
What are ya stupid?ha ha...
:wink2:point being,it's one day
and one day is nothing

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
At our PCM on Friday, our center manager told us that her goal for Halloween is to try and get all of the residential deliveries done before dark in order to avoid the obvious safety issues associated with the thousands of children that will be trick or treating.

Extra routes are actually being put in, and preload is being started early in order to gurantee an early wrap up and get us out of the building faster. We will be allowed to start early if our car is loaded and ready to go.

I'm impressed. A thoughtful, logical, proactive approach to a legitimate safety concern. I keep thinking I'm dreaming and that I will wake up on Monday morning to another 11 hr day. This cannot possibly be the UPS that I have grown to love and admire so much!

Sounds good, Only comment that I have against it is why not have this a standard every day????????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds good, Only comment that I have against it is why not have this a standard every day????????

It's not cost effective.

This is OT but when my kids were young and their mother and I (we were still married at the time) both wanted to go out with them trick or treating. We put a bowl filled with candy on a chair on the front porch with a sign asking the kids to please take only one piece. When we came home not only was the candy all gone but someone had taken the bowl.

I am lucky in that my residentials will be done by 3pm.

Cabbage Night is usually worse than Halloween so I guess we are lucky that CN is on a Sunday this year.

Backlasher

I know, I know. I've heard it all before. However, they did schedule preload to start early, and they did put a couple of extra routes in...at least on paper. Lets hope some useless turd from IE doesnt find out about it and order the routes to be eliminated 15 minutes before start time so that we look better on some report. I have spent enough dark Halloween evenings white-knuckling a package car thru a neighborhood full of hyperactive children, I really dont need to do it any more. Its a legitimate safety issue and even the most hard-boiled corporate maroon ought to see the wisdom in getting everybody done and off the clock before dark.

We all , including IE, should think of this as a good reason to do it right.

They could be my kids in costume on street. We should have it as a Key phrase.

An early wrap and more routes helping getting drivers in early should be an everyday goal. If this is a safety issue, then there is a safety reason for this EVERY DAY.

Lokk at FedEx running at 8:00 every day. We would look more professional and compatent if could do the same. I believe it would make us appear more competative as well. I mean, we have been around over 100 yrs. and are #1.

I see no real reason why we shouldn't. They say we have the Tech for things like MYCHOICE. Well, after 100 yrs. of service, we shouldn't have our guys out late raged out and still ringing doorbells.

All our customers seeing FedEx out at 8:00 a.m. has to be having an effect on our image and makes us look unprofessional starting late and sweeting off AIRstops. Not a professional image in my opinion.
How does IE or Corp not see this???????????

Backlasher

It's not cost effective.

This is OT but when my kids were young and their mother and I (we were still married at the time) both wanted to go out with them trick or treating. We put a bowl filled with candy on a chair on the front porch with a sign asking the kids to please take only one piece. When we came home not only was the candy all gone but someone had taken the bowl.

Cabbage Night is usually worse than Halloween so I guess we are lucky that CN is on a Sunday this year.

Even without extra routes, and the drivers all worked the same long hours. Early start=earlier finish. We should still shift our OPS to an earlier start. I know it would take great effort but should be worked out so that we are on Road as early as FedEx. I know their is alot that would need o happen but this can be achieved if our compony as a whole would start on this. It would effect shuttles, feeders, unloads preloads but yes, it can happen.

We look so incompatent when FedEx is rolling out and we are not even at the building.
It could even mean more job leads cause more customers might feel more secure about us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would love an earlier start but it wouldn't get me off the road any sooner. I have a UPS Store and mall drop box that I have to pickup at 6pm because the mall drivers gets done too early.

Backlasher

Sorry about your candy bowl. Reminds me when I was a tode and out t.o.t.ing someone had a strobe light effect on the front porch and just a bowl with a cover and slit in it. It had a note, please take 2 pieces of candy. I stuck my hand in thier and it was SPAGHETTI & SAUCE.

I might do that this yr. without the sauce, and 2 bowls. One with candy and they have to pick which one to stick their hand into.

Maybe even do MATRIX theme. Blue bowl or the Red Bowl.

Last edited:

bigbrownhen

Delivering on Halloween is a nightmare after dark. So dangerous. Why take that chance for production numbers? I hope all center management see this and do the right thing.

As for me, I also took a personal day. Im helping out at the school Harvest Party and Costume Parade, then we will take the munchkin Trick or Treating. Since we live out in the country, no one comes to our house. She wants to hang out at Papa's to help hand out the candy this year.

Backlasher

My wife's on the pill so I don't even sweat it.

Which pill did she pick ???

You take the Blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the Red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

0101010101010101010MATRIX quote0101010101010010101

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a Halloween grinch while my neighbors are Halloween freaks. I get home, turn off the lights and put out the "Get Lost" mat--the last thing I want to deal with after a long day at work is a bunch of free loading kids.:wink2: They decorate the heck out of their house and all the kids love going there.

bigbrownhen

Don't tell me you are the " old creepy grouch" of the neighborhood! Come on, kids laughing and having a good time makes the worst day better. It's all in how you look at it Dave. Find joy in the little things in life. :happy-very:

You are a pretty smart guy, after the little ones go home, and the teens come out, you could come up with some pretty funny ways to scare them a little. Nothing that could get the local law involved, but enough to have some fun at their expense.

Backlasher

I am a Halloween grinch while my neighbors are Halloween freaks. I get home, turn off the lights and put out the "Get Lost" mat--the last thing I want to deal with after a long day at work is a bunch of free loading kids.:wink2: They decorate the heck out of their house and all the kids love going there.

Understanable, so you take the sleeping pill, in keeping my matrix theme.

Kids out there have it rough sence you guys are getting this OCT. snow for Halloween. How's your are? how much snow??

moreluck

golden ticket member
Living in the gated senior section, we don't get the trick or treaters. It's great not to have to buy candy.......I would always be snacking on it and I'm not allowed.
If anyone gets grandkids visiting on Halloween, they just walk outside the gates and it's a trick or treating paradise out there!