Handcarts: When do you use one?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When do you use your handcart? How heavy does the box/pkg have to be? How many boxes/pkgs does there have to be? I don't always use mine when I should, so I was just wondering.

Overpaid Union Thug

When do you use your handcart? How heavy does the box/pkg have to be? How many boxes/pkgs does there have to be? I don't always use mine when I should, so I was just wondering.

Heavy packages depend on how far I have to walk with the package(s). My rule for everything else is if I would have to make more than one trip to and from the package car then I use the hand cart if possible (some package shapes won't allow the handcart). If I know that I can walk the packages in less time then it would take me to get the cart out and load it then I will go ahead and walk them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Weight? My weight will be lighter than yours but I stay at around 40 to 50 lbs. 40 lbs for a medium size box and 50 lbs for medium size to smaller. Distance makes a difference too. # of boxes, again depends on size and weight. I will carry 4/5 boxes that are light even if it blocks my immediate view. The heavier the boxes the fewer boxes.

M

Mike23

It all depends on how awkward it is to get at my package. If I'd have to bend my back to lift the box from my car then I stick my cart at the back and 'roll' the package (fragile is NOT 100 pounds!). How far I have to carry it. Also if I can't put my arms around the darn thing.

Other then that it's a waste of time. Especially since my cart is locked into the back of my truck it involves going into the 1st aid kid, getting the key, unlocking it, replacing the key, blah blah blah.

Big Babooba

Mine always gets stolen. Our division manager said he won't buy carts for every truck. I told him that years ago when the 150 lb weight limit was introduced, the training video instructed us to use a handcart. Every truck can get an over 70 - so very truck should have a handcart. I'll just kick em off the back of the truck and laugh as I leave.

Dustyroads

In our building a probationary driver was disqualified for being caught out on area without a handcart or a roll of tape in the truck.

For me, anything with total weight of over 50 lbs, use the cart.

pudg00

pudg00
I would just like to have a cart that did not have a broken bar or extention that did not fall when you lay it down. As I am a swing driver I never know what I will get from day to day.

whiskey

Mine always gets stolen. Our division manager said he won't buy carts for every truck. I told him that years ago when the 150 lb weight limit was introduced, the training video instructed us to use a handcart. Every truck can get an over 70 - so very truck should have a handcart. I'll just kick em off the back of the truck and laugh as I leave.
My first 3 months in package car I worked without a hand truck, or "two wheeler". I was amazed when I found out that I could have one. My route was mostly store fronts and shopping malls. Most days I couldn't walk in my car until the afternoon. At night, I had nightmares. A good hand truck is worth its weight in gold.

UPSGUY72

Depends on how far I have to carry the package or how many packages.

But any over 70 or package that are too big to carry I use a hand cart.

helenofcalifornia

My left arm now hurts from pulling in that damn mirror 200 times a day, so I use that handtruck a whole lot more than I used to. The dollies are guaranteed for two years so if one breaks ( like it won't?) in those two years you can return it for a new one. We can order new ones monthly but it seems to be first come, first served to whoever gets out to the unload first.

Anybody else having issues with their left arm from pulling in that mirror?

rod

Retired 22 years
The older I got the more I used a handcart. By the time I was working on my 30th year I would use it for a Next Day Air envelope.:happy2: (Well maybe I wasn't quite that lazy--but almost)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My left arm now hurts from pulling in that damn mirror 200 times a day, so I use that handtruck a whole lot more than I used to. The dollies are guaranteed for two years so if one breaks ( like it won't?) in those two years you can return it for a new one. We can order new ones monthly but it seems to be first come, first served to whoever gets out to the unload first.

Must be a district thing. Never pulled in a mirror in 20 years of driving.

NHDRVR

Usage varies since the 2-wheeler is useless on uneven surfaces, ie; dirt paths, dirt driveways etc., but I have an entire town to deliver so when ever the schools, town hall, or fire and police department gets slammed I will back up, load up, and then make nicey-nice and ask where they want it since they don't want to move it twice.

A quick side-note here...How many of you stop and drop inside the door?? I ask this because it took me a few years to see that it pays higher dividends to ask where they want the pkgs. Hell, they are already on the 2-wheeler and it is never more than another door or hallway before you drop them anyways.

Besides, since I live in the town I deliver to, I find it effective to make everyone happy. That sullen 'I'll do what I want' driver attitude only comes back to bite you in the ass.

NHDRVR

It all depends on how awkward it is to get at my package. If I'd have to bend my back to lift the box from my car then I stick my cart at the back and 'roll' the package (fragile is NOT 100 pounds!). How far I have to carry it. Also if I can't put my arms around the darn thing.

Other then that it's a waste of time. Especially since my cart is locked into the back of my truck it involves going into the 1st aid kid, getting the key, unlocking it, replacing the key, blah blah blah.

"FRAGILE IS NOT 100 POUNDS"---
I have been saying that for years. If you put fragile on a pkg. and I need to risk blowing out my O-ring to move the damn thing it isn't fragile.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Are you in a high traffic area? I don't pull the mirror in at all.

Must be a district thing. Never pulled in a mirror in 20 years of driving.
Me either.