Handler to driver timeline?

Hey guys/gals. I'm pursuing a career with UPS and I realize I almost need to start at the bottom to get anywhere. My question is, what's the timeframe like? Currently 30yrs old working full time at $20/hr, with a wife and kids, house, etc. My current job just isn't my passion.
I have 13yrs experience driving utility vans and box trucks, and quite accustomed to hard work and problem solving.
My goal is to be a package driver. I have a love for driving and a passion the outdoors, and a pursuit to get the job done right!
Trying to see if I could juggle the sunrise shift of a package handler and still keep my FT job, otherwise I would look for another PT job to supplement.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hey guys/gals. I'm pursuing a career with UPS and I realize I almost need to start at the bottom to get anywhere. My question is, what's the timeframe like? Currently 30yrs old working full time at $20/hr, with a wife and kids, house, etc. My current job just isn't my passion.
I have 13yrs experience driving utility vans and box trucks, and quite accustomed to hard work and problem solving.
My goal is to be a package driver. I have a love for driving and a passion the outdoors, and a pursuit to get the job done right!
Trying to see if I could juggle the sunrise shift of a package handler and still keep my FT job, otherwise I would look for another PT job to supplement.
Could take 2 years could take 20.

nystripe96

It took me 2 years. It's a very tough job & a lot of methods you need to follow to a tee. The hours are very long, especially for a family man. That being said the pay is great, and plenty of days off plus vacation weeks. Just watch out, you may be working Saturdays by the time you make driver because times at UPS, they are a changin'

Rack em

Made the Podium
You don't want to pursue UPS as a career.
What he said. Depending on the center it could take upwards of 10 years to go full time. That means 10 years of working early mornings where you average 4-5 hours tops. Plus by that time you'll be 40 which is a rough time to start driving because driving is not easy by any means.

Not to mention, when you do go full time you will more than likely be laid off a few days a week for a few years until you gain more seniority, which makes it tough to provide for your family. If you were younger I would say go for it, bur right now there are too many variables to make it a good choice.

It took me 2 years. It's a very tough job & a lot of methods you need to follow to a tee. The hours are very long, especially for a family man. That being said the pay is great, and plenty of days off plus vacation weeks. Just watch out, you may be working Saturdays by the time you make driver because times at UPS, they are a changin'

Thanks for that info. Would you say it took you 2 years because of availability for open driver spots, or seniority?

What he said. Depending on the center it could take upwards of 10 years to go full time. That means 10 years of working early mornings where you average 4-5 hours tops. Plus by that time you'll be 40 which is a rough time to start driving because driving is not easy by any means.

Not to mention, when you do go full time you will more than likely be laid off a few days a week for a few years until you gain more seniority, which makes it tough to provide for your family. If you were younger I would say go for it, bur right now there are too many variables to make it a good choice.

I get what you're saying about it being a risky choice this "late in the game." Within 5 years I'll be moving to Hawaii and so I thought a career with UPS would play well with that. Sounds like I'll either need to keep my current job and start at the bottom putting the pedal to the metal, or get my wife to be making twice what she makes now!

Rack em

Made the Podium
I get what you're saying about it being a risky choice this "late in the game." Within 5 years I'll be moving to Hawaii and so I thought a career with UPS would play well with that. Sounds like I'll either need to keep my current job and start at the bottom putting the pedal to the metal, or get my wife to be making twice what she makes now!
I'd go with making double if not triple what she makes now. That way you can just not work at all :)

WorknLateHuh

This info has been regurgitated a million times, but i'll say it again... Becoming a package handler isn't the only stepping stone to become a full time driver, but it is the easiest and sometimes quickest depending on your area. Some centers don't have seasonal drivers.

You can apply to be a seasonal driver for the peak months of the year, making significantly more money than a package handler. Now the problem with this is when peak time is over, you get laid off and then come back months later to drive contingent upon if you are in good standing. This yo-yo'ing back and forth could take 1-5yrs or more until you have the opportunity for Full Time. If you have a part time/semi full time flexible job that you can do on the off months then this angle might be ideal for you.

If you go this route, know that UPS hires 1 person from outside the company(you) for every 6 people they hire from within the company. So it's hard to judge how long it would take to go full time, there are so many variables. Now being a successful Package Handler it's a little easier to judge when you might be able to make the jump to Full Time. If I had to guess 95% of Full Time drivers worked inside as package handlers and worked their way. It's the most sure way to become a driver.