Handler to driver timeline?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
12.5 years, but don't do it because of that....

don't do it because they will beat you down every day of your life, and you will never see retirement

truly, honestly, don't do it

Geo926

Roll the dice being a casual. If you're good they will keep you. If you suck game over thanks for playing.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It takes 10 years+ to make full time package handler in nearly every hub

you could come to my HUB and be pretty much hired off the street as a driver. We've exhausted our inside list 10 times over. Pretty much immediate driving in our building. Even in feeders.

I think most people have overlooked this, but Box Ox nailed it.
If you are moving in 5 years, UPS is not what you're looking for.

Yes I forgot to reply to that. So you're saying if I want to work for UPS, wait until after moving? I can understand starting over with local seniority, but I assume not starting over with pay scale? I'm assuming a lot!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yes I forgot to reply to that. So you're saying if I want to work for UPS, wait until after moving? I can understand starting over with local seniority, but I assume not starting over with pay scale? I'm assuming a lot!
To oversimplify, you basically can't transfer at all.
Sometimes educational transfers are approved if there is an opening where you are moving, I wouldn't count on it though.... especially moving to Hawaii, I'm sure lots of people have tried to pull that dream off.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
you could come to my HUB and be pretty much hired off the street as a driver. We've exhausted our inside list 10 times over. Pretty much immediate driving in our building. Even in feeders.

Same story in my hub, we are out of qualified inside part-time applicants.

jbg77

Can I assume your FT is some weekends? I'm 8-5 Mon-Fri right now. If/when I go for working preload at UPS, I'll have to make some changes.
Do you still enjoy your life?
I do work many weekends and holidays at my ft job. I enjoy parts of my life. I miss out on some things with my kid that if I were ft driver I wouldn't. However, I'm now saving $1300 a month in insurance costs, low copays, etc. I also am guaranteed one day to be a ft driver and I'll no longer have to do this. I'll work fewer hours have the same benefits and work fewer days. So there is a trade off. You just need to de ide what is right for you. Short term sacrifice for long term gain.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I do work many weekends and holidays at my ft job. I enjoy parts of my life. I miss out on some things with my kid that if I were ft driver I wouldn't. However, I'm now saving $1300 a month in insurance costs, low copays, etc. I also am guaranteed one day to be a ft driver and I'll no longer have to do this. I'll work fewer hours have the same benefits and work fewer days. So there is a trade off. You just need to de ide what is right for you. Short term sacrifice for long term gain.

There is no "guaranteed" one day to be a ft driver

Just so ya know

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Then explain to me why it took 9 years and 10 months.
Just because it took YOU that long doesn't mean it is that way in every building. There are plenty of buildings where you have to beg people to sign the sheet. Or end up just hiring them off the street.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Just because it took YOU that long doesn't mean it is that way in every building. There are plenty of buildings where you have to beg people to sign the sheet. Or end up just hiring them off the street.
I understand that. I was responding to brownslave who said a 10 year wait is false

Re-Raise

He preloads with me and drives every day including Saturday air
So, he is an air driver and not a full-time driver?

There is a huge difference between an air driver or a driver that works during the free period and a driver that gains full-time seniority.

We have a lot of part-timers they use for things like that who they will never let gain full-time seniority because then they are stuck with them.