Handshake Agreement

HazMatMan

I heard 5 year contract 75 cents, 75 cents, 75 cents, 90 cents, 90 cents, that's $4.05 cents over 5 years the nine dollars you are hearing is the money that's being paid into benefits, pension, by the company, I guess it works out to about 9 dollars per person...That is what I heard folks....

HazMatMan

Not for nothing, but part-timers been getting a little extra since I believe 93. It was to bridge the gap between part-timers and full-timers.. Full timers got 1 dollar and part timers got I believe $1.25 this August 1...There are part-timers with 5 years less seniority than me almost making the same per hour because of that "little extra something to bridge the gap"

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Hi.
I just registed today, although I have been here many times to read and gather info.
Today I registered for one reason...

I am a "stupid" part time lifer. I will be retiring in a few years from my part time job. I make more than a lot of people make at their full time jobs and the benifits are great. I will be retiring with those great benifits and a decent pension. I have never thought staying p/t was a stupid choice.

I am looking forward to seeing the contact and what it holds for the p/t.

Ok, going back to lurk....
Thanks for letting me post my 2 cents.

Hi JustPartTime,

Welcome to the browncafe!! Don't just lurk join the party we'd like to hear from you more often!:thumbup1:

blue efficacy

Stop the crying man. Your doing bottom end manual labor. Your paid accordingly for part-time work. Only the stupid are at UPS as Part-time looking to make a career as a Part-timer. Thats the culture here. Your looking to go Full-Time or are here for the benefits for the family.

Should there be a SMALL increase to the starting wage? Sure. Should there be higher wage increases? I don't think so. Should progression be faster? No Way.

Are they going to expect more out of us? Umm....hello what do you think PAS really is?

Unless they somehow make it so we can all safely speed....and leave our bulk heads open.
And driving a truck, dropping off and grabbing boxes, isn't bottom end manual labor?
Part timers and full timers used to get paid the same. The part time starting wage for UPS used to be higher than a lot of other jobs out there. Now you can make more starting at McDonalds. Drivers are overpaid, and you call us part timers stupid for saying we should be making more when new part timers are grossly underpaid. You were hired full time off the street, weren't you. Otherwise you'd realize that much more is expected out of new part timers than $8.50 or $9.50 in today's dollars pays for.

You probably think that part timers should get less of a raise than the full timers. Oh that's right, in the last contract, for the first 4 years a PTer works, THEY DID.

Griff

Every job at UPS on the hourly side could technically be considered bottom end manual labor, this isn't NASA here, we transport goods. If your ego needs inflation or your manhood is that small, I suggest you put your application in for management so you can have a "real" job. It's simply amazing how this country has been brainwashed into believing any job in which you don't wear a tie is a horrible/unskilled job. Some people are proud of being blue-collar and having a lunchpale mentality. My idea of hell on earth would be working in an office and pushing paper all day long, everyone is different. Get over yourselves already.

over9five

Staff member
1: The first thing I said was, "I hope they took real good care of the part-timers".

"Even though we are the majority and the core of UPS we are yet forgotten again!!!!!!!!1!"

2: Part Time Nobody, this is SOOOOO true! If you guys weren't so apathetic, you could OWN the union AND the contract!

"Just watched Mike on upers"

3:Brown98, I watched that yesterday....for about the first 15 seconds. Is he THE most boring speaker in the world???

4: Take your time, read everything! Don't be afraid to vote "NO". It's very early, plenty of time to fix stuff!

trenjct

Stop the crying man. Your doing bottom end manual labor. Your paid accordingly for part-time work. Only the stupid are at UPS as Part-time looking to make a career as a Part-timer. Thats the culture here. Your looking to go Full-Time or are here for the benefits for the family.

Should there be a SMALL increase to the starting wage? Sure. Should there be higher wage increases? I don't think so. Should progression be faster? No Way.

Are they going to expect more out of us? Umm....hello what do you think PAS really is?

Unless they somehow make it so we can all safely speed....and leave our bulk heads open.

I think I find that remark stupid! Anybody who can survive the hard work and sometimes ridiculous numbers/expectations at UPS long enough to make a career out of it can't possibly be that STUPID, though maybe we all need our heads checked for what we put our bodies through. I've been part-time 26 years at 30-45 hours per week and I stayed strictly out of loyalty to my senior drivers until they all retired, and I also worked 40-60 hours at another job at the same time. I don't believe any of my drivers ever pegged me for stupid, though they may have cursed me many a time for stuffing too many packages into their trucks. While low starting wages and PAS may have reduced the quality of new applicants available, not all part-timers are stupid just because they don't aspire to become a driver or seek promotion into management. My greatest reward at UPS was seeing my senior driver retire after 20+ years of my loads. Some of us actually put our co-workers and the customer first before worrying about our own pursuit of gratuities.
Enough rant. Can't wait to see the details on the new contract, though. Kind of like Christmas morning, never knowing what's in the box, but hoping for something good. Usually though, my mother always would stuff a jar of pickles in the biggest, glitziest box for a gag. I never had the heart to tell her that I actually got the most enjoyment from the pickles anyhow. It's the simple things that matter most. Have a great day.

alister

And driving a truck, dropping off and grabbing boxes, isn't bottom end manual labor?
Part timers and full timers used to get paid the same. The part time starting wage for UPS used to be higher than a lot of other jobs out there. Now you can make more starting at McDonalds. Drivers are overpaid, and you call us part timers stupid for saying we should be making more when new part timers are grossly underpaid. You were hired full time off the street, weren't you. Otherwise you'd realize that much more is expected out of new part timers than $8.50 or $9.50 in today's dollars pays for.

You probably think that part timers should get less of a raise than the full timers. Oh that's right, in the last contract, for the first 4 years a PTer works, THEY DID.

All the part timers will continue to be "stupid" as long as you let the drivers vote for you all the time. how many part timers goto to meetings? how many part times bother to vote.

Overpaid Union Thug

All the part timers will continue to be "stupid" as long as you let the drivers vote for you all the time. how many part timers goto to meetings? how many part times bother to vote.

I voted on the last contract. I voted no (believe it or not) but majority rules so I had to take it. I've always wondered what would have happened, or will happen, if more part-timers would vote. What I'm wondering is if UPS will buy out of Central States regardless of what happens with the ratification vote or is that deal part of the voting process? If it is then I'd highly recommend that any part-timer that might not approve of the proposed contract vote because it will be highly unlikely that many of the full-timers close to 25 years of service will vote it down. In other words....it wouldn't be wise to hope others will vote in your favor.

UPS Lifer

I would never call a PT UPSer (I was a PTimer!) stupid... but I have read alot of negativity into a contract that you don't even know what is in it yet. :confused:1

To vote no on a contract just because you think a full timer will vote yes well you know where I am going with this right!!!

And don't forget most PTimers want to be FT and a good contract for the FTimers means that you will eventually get the same when you go FT.
Remember KARMA!

alister

I would never call a PT UPSer (I was a PTimer!) stupid... but I have read alot of negativity into a contract that you don't even know what is in it yet. :confused:1

To vote no on a contract just because you think a full timer will vote yes well you know where I am going with this right!!!

And don't forget most PTimers want to be FT and a good contract for the FTimers means that you will eventually get the same when you go FT.
Remember KARMA!

I was not making a statement on which way anyone should vote other than that every one that can vote should vote.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One point I would like to make is that most Drivers started out working part time. I do want the Part Timers to make more money, they deserve it. This Contract should benefit all of us, not just some of us.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In 02 all upsers received the same raise $6 an hour over 6 years, p-time and friend-time.

What i have heard is, we are looking at roughly 75 cents a year raise per year over the 5 years, heres a twist, we will get our raises every 6 months instead of yearly, so half of the raise aug 1st and the other half feb 1st. Now i here that p-timers will start at $8.50 but after 90 days they will go upto $10.50 an hour, (still not enough if you ask me), i also heard that we will get $1 an hour pension increase yearly, for another $200 weekly at the end of the contract in 2013. Double time for hours worked over 8 on 8 hour request days, stronger overtime language.

This is from a pretty reliable source, i have heard other things but some seem to much to believe so i woul;d hate to spread rumors. I advise everyone to start calling your locals and ask for this info now, to show a concerned stance, the last thing we need is to get it and have to vote on it immediately.

BigBrownSanta

6 years is a long time to wait.

If they didn't address the problems YOU want to see fixed, then vote no.

6 years is a very long time to wait...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One point I would like to make is that most Drivers started out working part time. I do want the Part Timers to make more money, they deserve it. This Contract should benefit all of us, not just some of us.

Personally, I think ALL drivers should start out in the hub...period. In the 70's and 80's, too many people walked off the street and became drivers. Just like mgt comming from the ups ranks, all drivers should too. I know the ratio is like 6 or 7 to 1 outside or part-time mgt. But back in the day it was 1 to 1...absolute bull****. Thats why there are some old-timers that cant understand the part-time issues. I also think that when you are part-time first, then do driving those years should count for bidding on routes. why should I have less senority after waiting 10 years to go driving than the street new hire that was christmas help for 2 years and is a slot ahead of me when I finally go driving...it is really ****.

DS

Fenderbender
I have to agree 705 that $8.50 is a joke as a starting pay at what could be the start of a career.They have the right idea with the raise after 90 days but they have to raise it more if they want to get good people that will stay.
coldworld...the 70's was a long time ago,heck it was just after the 60's.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
coldworld...the 70's was a long time ago,heck it was just after the 60's.

Late '60s and early '70s makes sense for the Vietnam vets returning home. Since most of those vets were my age and a little older, they would have been the age group UPS would have lured in CROWDS. I'd be surprised if I'm wrong but please tell me if I am. -Rocky