Handshake Agreement?

babboo25

Banned
We are being told by UPS that there is a handshake aggrement with local 710 about taking 10 minutes of lunch. Our steward say its not true, but we are being threatened with warning letters and termination if we dont take atleast 10 minutes of lunch. I usually take my 10 minute paid break and the 5 for lunch. Any other 710 centers being told the same? I know it doesnt seem like such a big deal, but being lied to is.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What good is a hand shake agreement with a company that doesn't abide by signed contracts supposedly bargained for in good faith? Make a deal with the devil and your liable to get burned. Here's an idea, take your full compliment of lunch and breaks and forego any of these extra contractual agreements.

babboo25

Banned
What good is a hand shake agreement with a company that doesn't abide by signed contracts supposedly bargained for in good faith? Make a deal with the devil and your liable to get burned. Here's an idea, take your full compliment of lunch and breaks and forego any of these extra contractual agreements.
I put in what i take, usually only 15 minutes. I usually punch out after 6, have a family at home. UPS pays me to work, not sit and eat lunch for 50 minutes.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I put in what i take, usually only 15 minutes. I usually punch out after 6, have a family at home. UPS pays me to work, not sit and eat lunch for 50 minutes.

That excuse is broke.
Having a family doesn't make you an exception, most of us do as well.
The lunch break was negotiated for and is benifical for our health, safety, sanity, and career longevity.
In a union shop, it's about what's better for the membership as a whole rather than the individual.
In the Central Region, where I assume you work, the contract requires you to take a half hour unpaid lunch.
It doesn't say anything about having to take the two paid 10 min breaks if you want to skip those.
However, I feel there are far more worthy organizations to donate your time to than UPS.
Do yourself and your coworkers a favor and settle in for the long haul.
This job is a marithon, not a sprint.

babboo25

Banned
That excuse is broke.
Having a family doesn't make you an exception, most of us do as well.
The lunch break was negotiated for and is benifical for our health, safety, sanity, and career longevity.
In a union shop, it's about what's better for the membership as a whole rather than the individual.
In the Central Region, where I assume you work, the contract requires you to take a half hour unpaid lunch.
It doesn't say anything about having to take the two paid 10 min breaks if you want to skip those.
However, I feel there are far more worthy organizations to donate your time to than UPS.
Do yourself and your coworkers a favor and settle in for the long haul.
This job is a marithon, not a sprint.

HUH? Nope you are wrong. We only get 1 paid 10 minute break. Our lunch break is 50 minutes. We are not required by the union to take it all. But UPS wants us to take 10. Thought my original post was pretty clear. Never said having a family made me the exeption.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HUH? Nope you are wrong. We only get 1 paid 10 minute break. Our lunch break is 50 minutes. We are not required by the union to take it all. But UPS wants us to take 10. Thought my original post was pretty clear. Never said having a family made me the exeption.

Go back and re-read his post. We may be on different sides of the union spectrum but are in agreement on taking a full lunch. Do your cover drivers also only take 10 minutes or do they take their full 50? If they take their full 50, do they get pressure from mgt because they are not getting in as early as you?

For the most part we all have families and all have at one time or another missed a family function due to work. It is part of the job.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

My bad, Midwest I guess is a pretty broad term.
It is reasonable to correlate the Midwest as being in the central region.
I'm aware that contractual language varies from region to region and apologize for my misspeak.
Either way the negotiated lunch break provided for in the central region supplemental agreement is mutually agreed to and required by the company and union.
Perhaps this is not the case in your supplemental agreement.
Sorry if it came of as condescending in regards to your family, but it's an excuse I hear here often that doesn't hold water with me.
We all have families to varying degrees as well as responsibilities to maintain the hours of the job that were no secret coming in.
Shortcutting personal time in the name of family does us all a disservice in my opinion.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm aware that contractual language varies from region to region and apologize for my misspeak.
Either way the negotiated lunch break provided for in the central region supplemental agreement is mutually agreed to and required by the company and union.
Sorry if it came of as condescending in regards to your family, but it's an excuse I hear here often that doesn't hold water with me.
We all have families to varying degrees as well as responsibilities to maintain the hours of the job that were no secret coming in.
Shortcutting personal time in the name of family does us all a disservice in my opinion.
That, my cat pounding friend, was very well said. Did you have your Wife type that for you?:wink2:

UPSGUY72

Tell me about I leave my house at 7:20 I have to drive a hour to get to the building i got bump to then I put my full day in and sometimes I don't get home till 8:30 or 9:00 when My kids are already in bed. I can't wait to get back to the building 2 miles from my house. However I take my full lunch (1 hour) I'm not giving UPS back time especially overtime.

JonFrum

To Clarify:
Babboo25 is in Local 710 which is geographically in the Central States area, but is not a part of the National Master or the Central States Supplement. Local 710 covers most of Illinois, Indiana, and Davenport Iowa, (I think.)

Local 710 has its own Contract. Since it is not part of the National Master Agreement, it has no Supplement.

Local 705, which covers the greater Chicago area, also is not part of the National Master Agreement. It has its own Contract and does not therefore have a Supplement.

Local 710 and 705 are next door to each other but not related. Their Contracts are different from each other.

There are three seperate bargaining units in the USA: the National Master (including all its Supplements), Local 710, and Local 705. While the National Master (and its many Supplements) were negotiated and ratified over seven months early, Locals 710 and 705 did not fall for that ploy and waited until August 1, 2008 to sign their new (and better) contracts.

- - - -
Babboo25, what does state law say, if anything, about taking lunches and/or breaks?

JonFrum

Actually the other 35 is in the companies pocket. If you took your full lunch you would have 52 1/2 minutes in your pocket.
Babboo25 says he gets paid for the other 35 minutes. If this ultimately puts him over 8 hours for the day, he would get time-and-one-half for all time over 8 hours, wouldn't he?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True but if he took his full lunch he would be paid for an additional 35 minutes of OT daily, which is why I used the 52 1/2. 52 1/2 @ $30/hr is roughly $27. $27*200 working days is $5,400 that he is giving back to the company each year.

I have 2 kids. I can fully understand where he is coming from. I have lost count of the number of school functions that I was either late for or missed entirely due to work.

JonFrum

True but if he took his full lunch he would be paid for an additional 35 minutes of OT daily, which is why I used the 52 1/2. 52 1/2 @ $30/hr is roughly $27. $27*200 working days is $5,400 that he is giving back to the company each year.

I have 2 kids. I can fully understand where he is coming from. I have lost count of the number of school functions that I was either late for or missed entirely due to work.
I interpreted him to say he is being paid for and extra 35 minutes of OT daily (assuming his paid work day extends beyond the 8-hour mark.)

Lunch is unpaid. It has no effect on the hours Babboo25 works and is paid for. It doesn't matter if he skips lunch altogether, or takes 15 minutes, or takes 50 minutes. He gets paid for all time actually worked, (plus his 10 minute break.)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are right in that he is paid OT for any work beyond the 8 hour mark. Lunch is unpaid and is deducted from his total day. He is allocated 50 minutes for lunch so if he has an 0840 start time he doesn't actually start getting paid until 0930. His 8 hour day would then end at 1730 so if he is punching out at 1800 he is getting 30 minutes OT daily, 2 1/2 hours weekly. If he were to take his full lunch daily he would punch out at 1840, giving him 1 hour and 10 minutes OT daily, 5 hours and 50 minutes weekly, a difference of 3 hours and 20 minutes, or roughly $140-150 weekly.