Handshake Agreement?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Babboo25 gets paid for the "other 35 minutes" of his lunch because the other 35 minutes isn't coded as a lunch, it's coded as work time. He is making deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minutes, just as you make deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minute interval that directly follows your lunch. His lunch is only 15 minutes long. Yours is longer. Both are unpaid. Both of you get paid from the moment you punch back in and resume work. Since his 15 minute unpaid lunch is in the middle of the day, the immediately following 35 minutes of work is paid at straight time.

The length of his lunch has no effect on his paycheck. He is paid for all work time. UPS does not automatically deduct the other 35 minutes from his workday or payday. Neither Babboo25 nor his payroll department are falsifying lunch records, as happens in other areas. He reports only the actual lunch taken, which is unpaid, and gets paid for all other time. He goes into overtime after 8 hours, which comes earlier in the day for him because his unpaid lunchtime was shorter than yours.

If he took an extra 35 minutes of unpaid lunch, he would return to the building 35 minutes later. If another driver covered his route and took the other 35 minutes as an unpaid lunch, he too would return to the building 35 minutes later (all else being equal), and he would have every right to be "late" because he has ever right to take his full lunch if he so chooses. Their SPORH would be the same.

If you still don't understand, we may have to organize an Intervention and come to you house to do the Deprograming. It may hurt a little.

I agree with everything except the highlighted portion in red.
Depending on the route and logistics in relation to time commitments on commercial stops, the highlighted portion may not be the case.
To many driver skip lunch, or a portion of it, in order to make service and clock out early.
Not to mention the added time of delivering residentials after 5pm with rush hour, diminished parking, fatigue, etc.
This is where a driver who routinely does this, puts the cover driver in an awkward position.
Keep getting it done and you'll get more of the same.
Keep getting it done by skipping lunch and put the next guy in a pickle.

Re-Raise

Babboo25 gets paid for the "other 35 minutes" of his lunch because the other 35 minutes isn't coded as a lunch, it's coded as work time. He is making deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minutes, just as you make deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minute interval that directly follows your lunch. His lunch is only 15 minutes long. Yours is longer. Both are unpaid. Both of you get paid from the moment you punch back in and resume work. Since his 15 minute unpaid lunch is in the middle of the day, the immediately following 35 minutes of work is paid at straight time.

The length of his lunch has no effect on his paycheck. He is paid for all work time. UPS does not automatically deduct the other 35 minutes from his workday or payday. Neither Babboo25 nor his payroll department are falsifying lunch records, as happens in other areas. He reports only the actual lunch taken, which is unpaid, and gets paid for all other time. He goes into overtime after 8 hours, which comes earlier in the day for him because his unpaid lunchtime was shorter than yours.

If he took an extra 35 minutes of unpaid lunch, he would return to the building 35 minutes later. If another driver covered his route and took the other 35 minutes as an unpaid lunch, he too would return to the building 35 minutes later (all else being equal), and he would have every right to be "late" because he has ever right to take his full lunch if he so chooses. Their SPORH would be the same.

If you still don't understand, we may have to organize an Intervention and come to you house to do the Deprograming. It may hurt a little.

Thank you +2

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I would hope that the Sup or center manager would get word or have first hand knowledge of who's going above and beyond and give a well-earned pat on the back (at least).
When I was at UPS, it was all about getting the work done. I know it's the same now!!

Re-Raise

This is where a driver who routinely does this, puts the cover driver in an awkward position.

You might be reaching a little bit here. I care about the cover drivers, we are a small center and they are my friends. They can and DO call me whenever they have trouble on my route.

That being said I am also a husband and father. I take my lunch at my house, check the mail , the markets, and grab a bite to eat. Sometimes there are events or games that my family would like me to attend after work, on those days I take a shorter lunch, recording the time I take each day.

Why would I sit there in the afternoon for an hour just to convince UPS that I can't do the job so they might make it easier for a cover driver? They won't change my route if I get in at 6 p.m. instead of 5:30 p.m.

No hard feelings Bubble .. I agree with a lot of your posts.. and if you have room this year I'll get in and bump you down to 2010 Brown Cafe Fantasy Football Runner-Up

JonFrum

I agree with everything except the highlighted portion in red.
Depending on the route and logistics in relation to time commitments on commercial stops, the highlighted portion may not be the case.
To many driver skip lunch, or a portion of it, in order to make service and clock out early.
Not to mention the added time of delivering residentials after 5pm with rush hour, diminished parking, fatigue, etc.
No one can address every possibility in one post. That's why I used the standard qualifier, "all other things being equal." I realize all other things are not equal, but that would take us off topic. The point to Upstate was it doesn't matter if someone took no lunch, or a short lunch, or a full lunch, the SPORH are the same because all are working the same total paid hours, although the second half of their day starts and ends at different times.

Local 710 does it right. The driver should be the one to decide how he spends his non-paid time, and how long he wants to spend eating lunch. I assume some regular drivers take their full lunch, and Babboo25 probably does too from time to time. The Company is well aware that taking a longer lunch extends the return-to-building time, and makes the day even longer because of the factors you mention. This is also true for a driver who has to go to the auto shop for a quick repair or gets hauled into the office for a spanking first thing in the morning. All these factors should have been hashed out over the years. They are nothing new. At least in Local 710 the driver, regular or cover, returning "late" to the building has a perfect excuse, because the diad entries are not falsified.

Actually, returning "late" because you took your full lunch is normal. Anyone who takes a short lunch and returns early is helping themself, and benefiting UPS as a unintended bonus. UPS can't demand it. They can just be grateful whenever it happens. (Though don't hold your breath waiting for them to show it.)

babboo25

Banned
SHOCKER! UPS wasnt being honest. Union Reps told us the only agreement was that we were to take our paid 10 minute break and show SOME unpaid lunch, being 1 minute or 50. Apparently UPS wanted to take away our paid break in the next contract.