Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My hubby says that for as long as he can remember (years and years and years) Detroit played Green Bay on Thanksgiving. It used to be the only pro game played on Thanksgiving. Why the tradition started he doesn't know.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why is NFL serving Lions on Thanksgiving?

By Victor Contreras
[email protected]
Published: Thursday, Nov. 27, 2008 | Page 1C
Where is it written that you have to eat turkey on Thanksgiving? Who said you have to serve dressing or pass around a plate of cranberries in the shape of a can?
You say potatoes, I say frijoles.
That being said, why does the NFL insist on serving us a turkey of a game each Thanksgiving? Where is it written that the NFL must schedule the Detroit Lions to play a home game this day each year?
The Lions, who first played on Thanksgiving in 1934 (and lost, of course), will play their annual game today against the Tennessee Titans, who are 11-point favorites. They will probably win by much more. The Lions are winless and, as usual, the NFL's biggest long shot of the week.
Must-miss TV.
For the love of Pete Rozelle, there's not enough gravy in America to cover up this mismatch. But if our Thanksgiving menus can change (more and more of us are choosing prime rib, ham and turducken), then the NFL can change, too.
The Dallas Cowboys have seemingly earned the right to keep their slot today, fine. But please, somebody throw out the Lions with the turkey carcasses.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The origins of the Thanksgiving Day Tradition​
It was, legend says, a typically colorful, probably chilly, November day in 1622 that Pilgrims and Native Americans celebrated the new world's bounty with a sumptuous feast. They sat together at Plymouth Plantation (they spelled it Plimouth) in Massachusetts, gave thanks for the goodness set before them, then dined on pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, maize, cranberry sauce, turkey and who knows what else.
Actually, fish was just as predominant a staple. And history books say pumpkin pie really debuted a year later. But regardless of the accuracy of the details, that's how Thanksgiving Day is seen by Americans -- except Detroiters.
They may have most of the same images as everyone else, but with a new twist that began in 1934.
That's when Detroiters and their outstate Michigan compatriots found themselves at the dawn of an unplanned behavior modification, courtesy of George A. "Dick" Richards, owner of the city's new entry in the National Football League: The Detroit Lions.

--Larry Paladino
Lions Pride, 1993

Four generations of Detroiters have been a proud part of the American celebration of Thanksgiving. The relationship between Detroit and Thanksgiving dates back to 1934 when owner G.A. Richards scheduled a holiday contest between his first-year Lions and the Chicago Bears. Some 74 years later, fans throughout the State of Michigan have transformed an annual holiday event into the single greatest tradition in the history of American professional team sports. Indeed, if football is America’s Passion, Thanksgiving football is Detroit’s Passion.
No other team in professional sports can claim to be as much a part of an American holiday as can the Detroit Lions with Thanksgiving. When you think of Thanksgiving, you think of football and the Lions.
The Thanksgiving tradition is older than 24 current NFL franchises, and Detroit’s passionate affair with the annual Thanksgiving Day game is evidenced by its growing popularity. Year-after-year, Detroiters look forward to not only spending Thanksgiving with their families, but they also enjoy sharing that time with the Lions.
The most recent illustration of this love affair was introduced on September 9, 1998 when the Lions announced that all individual reserved tickets for the Lions-Steelers contest were sold out, assuring the earliest sellout in the 65-year history of the holiday series. The only remaining tickets were the 3,500 bleacher seats that went on sale 11 days before the game -- fans who had stood in line hours waiting for those seats gobbled up the remaining tickets in approximately eight minutes.
November 22, 2008 will mark the 69th addition of Detroit’s Thanksgiving Day tradition, and the passion continues to burn brighter than ever before.
The Origin of the Lions' Thanksgiving Day Game
The game was the brainchild of G.A. Richards, the first owner of the Detroit Lions. Richards had purchased the team in 1934 and moved the club from Portsmouth, Ohio to the Motor City. The Lions were the new kids in town and had taken a backseat to the baseball Tigers. Despite the fact the Lions had lost only one game prior to Thanksgiving in 1934, the season’s largest crowd had been just 15,000.
The opponent that day in 1934 was the undefeated, defending World Champion Chicago Bears of George Halas. The game would determine the champion of the Western Division. Richards had convinced the NBC Radio Network to carry the game coast-to-coast (94 stations) and, additionally, an estimated 26,000 fans jammed into the University of Detroit Stadium while thousands more disappointed fans were turned away.
Despite two Ace Gutowsky touchdowns, the Bears won the inaugural game, 19-16, but a classic was born. Since 1934, 67 games have been played with the Lions holding a series record of 33-32-2 (.507). And each game, in its own way, continues to bring back memories of Thanksgiving, not only to Lions' fans, but to football fans across the nation.​

UPS Lifer

I have been reading all the wonderful and funny comments on this thread!

I do believe that we tend to forget the special people in our lives because often they are present and so close to us. A true measure of our love is realized when they are absent or no longer with us.

I remember such a time when my son was serving in Bahrain as a marine guard when the Cole was bombed. Each holiday, there was a magnified ache in the heart without his presence ...but Thanksgiving and Xmas was worse with Mother's Day and Father's Day right behind. My heart goes out to Ms Spoken, I can feel her pain as I am sure many of you can also.

I do want to remember all our military personnel who cannot be with us during the holiday season because they are in foreign lands protecting our freedoms.

My heart goes out to them and their families. THEY are what this holiday and this season is all about! I wish them Godspeed and a safe journey back to us ASAP!

A side note .... I am extremely thankful for an ARIZONA CARDINALS football game tonight!!!!! GO CARDINALS!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I feel for MS spoken and everyone who has lost someone dear throughout the year. Its bittersweet.

But I have my dogs, and my husband and smells emitting from the kitchen. All is good.
And so far ive burnt nothing.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

SoyFish

Been pretty good thanks for asking. Been doing a ton of doubles lately, so the freetime is minimal, but with the holiday and 4 day weekend I'll have plenty of time to get back on track with the everyday occurances of life or however that goes. Oh yeah, turning 19 on Saturday so whoopie :)

browndevil

too many holiday
Been pretty good thanks for asking. Been doing a ton of doubles lately, so the freetime is minimal, but with the holiday and 4 day weekend I'll have plenty of time to get back on track with the everyday occurances of life or however that goes. Oh yeah, turning 19 on Saturday so whoopie :)
Well then Happy Birthday Greetings to you Soy:happy2:...........that means I have been a UPSer for two years when you were born

:sad-very:

Last edited: