Happy to be with UPS 3 months so far but....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dude

This job will be anything you make of it. It can be one of the greatest adventures, with security for both you and your family, or it can be a prison which you hate to return to each and every day. I find your mindset has a lot to do with it.

As to the jerks in management, I have also run into a large number of jerks in the hourly ranks. Had to represent many of them as well. You will find the differing personalities any where you go. Its how you deal with the situation and them that will determine the outcome.

One of the things I always told myself when things got really bad at times was that I work for UPS, not the local management team. I will be here long after they are gone. And you know what, that is exactly what has happened. I always loved my sups. I loved to see some come, and some go.

One word of caution, you do not have to respect the person, but you need to respect the position. Does that make sense?

As far as working for others, have done that as well. Guess what, there are real jerks and SOB's everywhere, not just at UPS. So develop the skills needed to deal with them, and you will do fine. Its not easy, and sometimes you have to litterally bite your tounge (That could be a problem in your case:wink2:) but I think you are capable.

So go out there and make your job what you want it to be. Dont let anyone rain on your life, ever!

It worked for me, and it can work for you as well.

Best of luck!

d

feeder53

ADKtrails
I feel that no matter where you go to work there are always those people who are difficult to deal with. There are a number of websites out there that deal with these type of people and how to work with them. With the payscale at UPS, I would go that way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tie, the boss in the Flintstones is actually Mr. Slate, which is in keeping with whole rock theme (Pebbles, Bam Bam, Flintstone, Rubble, Bedrock) of the show. Did I just show my age?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

D

I think dude has a right to be upset w/you. You made an excellent point until you decided to put that one sentence in there, which completely took away from the point that you were trying to make. It is OK to have the thought, but not always OK to express it.

Upstate

rod

Retired 22 years
We just had a little boy born without eyelids at our local hospital. When they circumcised him they used the forskin to make new eyelids. He's doing fine but he is a little cockeyed:peaceful:

UPS Lifer

I really don't think Dannyboy was trying to be mean to you....

This is why it may not be such a good idea to be out there with our customers!!!

BTW - If you knew this would happen then why are you putting yourself through this?

Again.... as one of the other posters said just stay an inside employee and keep minimal contact with others.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Lighten up dude

At first I thought by your first post after mine, you "got it" and were responding in kind. But I see by your last post, you didnt and that proves my point.

Too many people want everybody else to view them through different eyes, or to make special exceptions, or special rules, or just treat them differently than they do every one else. They ask for tollerance and understanding. But yet they want to be in the main stream of life.

But I find that in many cases, they themselves are the least tollerant, people with disabilities, handicap, people that yell racism or tell you you are a homophobe.

I find in life that you are treated like you treat others, not like you want to be treated.

Nothing wrong with being outstanding. Or standing out. But be prepared for the extra attention and scrutiny.

d

upsdude9

dannyboy, I dont care you are *****. But I never called a you one. Im not like that but if you are its ok I gues. I guess you are a big fan of mr Eltin John. Its ok for you I respect that so respect me please.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Funny how people read things into a story that are just not there.

Dude, Read my post again. My personal belief system dictates that the alternative lifestyle is wrong. But I also believe that I should not sit in judgement of those that choose that way of life. As long as they keep their choices to themselves, and dont force others to view their lifestyle as normal, I dont have a problem with what they choose for themselves. THat is one of the rights and privaliges that we enjoy in this country.

As for accepting you as you are, no problem. But understand my post to you. If you want others to accept you with your problem or short comming, you must also be prepared to accept them as well.

Question is, can you?

Because, I knew you were using tounge in cheek, and not serious, when you posted
You were trying to be funny, right? Thats the way I took it.

As for inside, not a cage, but inside the building. To where your exposure to the customer would be limited. Or feeders for instance. It would be in those jobs where your(and UPS's) exposure to problems would be limited.

Not trying to be jerks, just telling you reality. If I hire you as an employee, knowing you have a condition, and put you in a position where it could cause a problem, then I am responsible for what ever problem occurs.

Case in point.

You go out and say something that is sexually harrassing to a customer. That not only would be in bad taste, it is against the law. OR what if you used the N word to some of our darker skinned brothers? That is also against the law, and UPS would have the liability for that regardless of the problem you have. They knew about it in advance, put you in that position, and now the problem. Adn the lawsuit.

For the record, when you first posted, I assumed you were already full time in delivery. So that changes my recomendations some what from earlier on.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know what you will be facing.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Now thats what I was talking about, humor!!!

See, I knew you got it!

Kid, lemme tell you something. You can go a long way. You can go as high up UPS's ladder as you want. All you need is the desire, drive, and some post highschool education. Just keep that sense of humor, and you got it licked.

d

PS HAzman, he is using his funny button. Dont you see the humor?