Hard to get an interview?

estudiante

It seems rather difficult to get into UPS... am I mistaken? I would like to get a job as a package handler. Put in an inquiry online, waited a month, and heard nothing. Are you less likely to be picked if you're not a student?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

helenofcalifornia

Are you kidding me? UPS is like all the rest of the companies out there-looking for good employees and not finding many. Try your local UPS center and go to the customer counter. Ask them for some help. Ask a driver for the local phone number and call them. Keep putting in your name online. Call 1-800-PICKUPS and ask them. UPS started hiring relatives of already employed UPS'ers because we couldn't get enough people.

spidey

It depends on the area. In my local centers we always need part time sorters, every day, but the wait list to drive ground is 7-10 years.

hoser

Industrial Slob
It seems rather difficult to get into UPS... am I mistaken? I would like to get a job as a package handler. Put in an inquiry online, waited a month, and heard nothing. Are you less likely to be picked if you're not a student?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
In Alberta I applied via email Wednesday night at about 10, was called at 9:30 am on Thursday, went to an interview at 8:00 on Friday, met the supervisor that evening at 6:00, and had orientation the following Tuesday.

But yet again our economy is stupid hot and we are so desperate for workers, package handlers start at $13.00

N

Noob

Like mentioned above, it depends on the region. I was hired "off the street" as a casual driver. I applied online and got a phone call for an interview one week later. That was in July and I have been working everyday since completing driver training. There is such a shortfall of drivers in my area that I expect a permanent position after Christmas. Drivers here in Jersey are all transferring into feeders and there is a flood of retirees. If you're a loyal and hard worker UPS will want you to stick around. Good workers are priceless and UPS knows that well.

at my hub in ontario california it seem that being a stundent is very key to getting hired. it seems that about 85% of new employee's are students

hoser

Industrial Slob
at my hub in ontario california it seem that being a stundent is very key to getting hired. it seems that about 85% of new employee's are students

although students tend to be harder workers and have less criminality than their drop-out counterparts, they cost $4 000 a year in tuition reimbursement! is it so UPS can retain employees and spend less revenue on tax?

UPSn00b

boxchucker
It was quite hard for me to get in as a non-student. I've had some pretty candid talks with my HR guy since after 3 months I FINALLY got hired. HR has certain directives and requirements for new hires. He would not tell me specifically what they ALL were, however he did say that he had to meet certain student requirements. Its all about the numbers really. I myself, contacted my local driver and asked him to get me the direct number for HR in my area.

After that I called.

At 8:00am

Every day.

For 3 months.

Until he finally broke down and hired me. Sometimes he would call back, however most of the time, he did not. When he DID call me back, he'd tell me when to check back. It was usually about 2-3 weeks. So I did have some time off to sleep in a bit. Which were the days I long for, because now, I dont get ANY sleep!

Anyways, the call everyday method worked for me, and it should work for you too! Peak is right around the corner, so it shouldnt even be THAT hard. I started calling in January after peak, perhaps that's why it took me so long to get hired? Perhaps.

-n00b

rod

Retired 22 years
When I got hired in 1971, to become fultime, you had to be at least 21 years old, have the military service over with, and be married. I was working part time running the receiving counter, loading the night feeder and portering. I fulfilled 2 of the 3 requirements. Then I got married on a saturday and was hired fultime the following tuesday. I never even went to UPS school. They put me in a ford econoline and had me driving to North Dakota when it began UPS service. For the next 30 years when ever I was chosen for an ass chewing I would say "well I never went to UPS school" and plead stupidity. Sometimes they though it was funny and sometimes not. Up to a month before I retired I tried to get them to send me for the week long training school (now I here it's 2 weeks) but they never would.

hoser

Industrial Slob
When I got hired in 1971, to become fultime, you had to be at least 21 years old, have the military service over with, and be married. I was working part time running the receiving counter, loading the night feeder and portering. I fulfilled 2 of the 3 requirements. Then I got married on a saturday and was hired fultime the following tuesday. I never even went to UPS school. They put me in a ford econoline and had me driving to North Dakota when it began UPS service. For the next 30 years when ever I was chosen for an ass chewing I would say "well I never went to UPS school" and plead stupidity. Sometimes they though it was funny and sometimes not. Up to a month before I retired I tried to get them to send me for the week long training school (now I here it's 2 weeks) but they never would.
guy, you're awesome. you're an inspiration to us all :thumbup1:
military service over with before you can apply, oh how the times have changed...

rod

Retired 22 years
guy, you're awesome. you're an inspiration to us all :thumbup1:
military service over with before you can apply, oh how the times have changed...
Apparently they didn't want to hire you one day and have you drafted the next. Oh yes-the draft- now that's another story. I still have splinters under my finger nails from when they drug me off the front porch. (just kidding)