Harrassment

hooks

This may not be the correct thread to ask this but does anyone know if UPS drivers are bonded through UPS? My husband took a check from a customer for a COD and it bounced. Now UPS is demanding he pay it out of his pocket or they will garnish his check. We're talking $ 1700. Any info would be appreciated.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
did he accept a personal check when a cashiers check or money order were required? if so he failed to follow instructions. now i don't know if hes financially liable for the check or just up for discipline. hes got to get his steward or business agent involved. for what its worth, this is what's posted on ups.com

These terms of service apply to C.O.D.:

• UPS will accept C.O.D.s for amounts up to US$50,000.00 per shipment.
  • UPS will accept a business or personal check, or another negotiable form of payment.
  • At the shipper's request, UPS will accept a cashier's check or money order only.
  • UPS will not accept currency in any amount.
  • The shipper assumes all risk related to the collection of the payment, including non-payment, insufficient funds, and forgery.

balland chain

The bottom line in my opinion, we are adults, most of us want to do a good job, it seems that all we are asking for is the dignity and respect that we have earned..The hostile work environment that UPS has created is , unhealthy physically and mentally. It is wrong & nobody, NOBODY should have to go to work fearful of a center manager or a SUP. who is a bully..

Johney

This may not be the correct thread to ask this but does anyone know if UPS drivers are bonded through UPS? My husband took a check from a customer for a COD and it bounced. Now UPS is demanding he pay it out of his pocket or they will garnish his check. We're talking $ 1700. Any info would be appreciated.
Like paul the clerk says he is responsible for the money if he took a personal or company check when the COD stated to only take a cashiers check. He can not be held liable if the cashiers check was a fake. I have seen some perfect fake ones come through our center. There was no way to tell they were fake.

hooks

well his shop steward seems to be pretty clueless. this happened to a fellow driver a few years back and he was told that the drivers were bonded and he didn't have to repay the money. my husband questioned if drivers were still bonded to his sup and they had no idea what he was talking about. now he's been told he will be getting an article 10, whatever that is.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
well his shop steward seems to be pretty clueless. this happened to a fellow driver a few years back and he was told that the drivers were bonded and he didn't have to repay the money. my husband questioned if drivers were still bonded to his sup and they had no idea what he was talking about. now he's been told he will be getting an article 10, whatever that is.

like i posted earlier, if he took a business or personal check when a cashiers check or money order only were required than he is liable for his mistake. follow this link to our contract and look up ARTICLE 10. LOSS AND DAMAGE. its also a sticky and first post of this union issues forum.

UPS Teamsters National Master Agreement

read it all through but these are some of the more important paragraphs as follows....

No employee shall be disciplined or required to make reimbursement for lost or damaged parcels unless the Employer demonstrates that the employee, without justification or mitigation, violated pertinent established rules or policies, the observance of which would have prevented the loss or damage.

An employee who is charged for loss or damage by the Employer shall not be subject to both discipline and reimbursement.

No action shall be taken by the Employer under this Section until the grievance procedure is invoked and concluded. In such grievance hearings the Employer shall present its case first.

Reimbursement schedules shall be reasonable and fair, based upon
the circumstances of each case

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The bottom line in my opinion, we are adults, most of us want to do a good job, it seems that all we are asking for is the dignity and respect that we have earned..The hostile work environment that UPS has created is , unhealthy physically and mentally. It is wrong & nobody, NOBODY should have to go to work fearful of a center manager or a SUP. who is a bully..

Depends where you work. Pretty sure I've never been bullied.

didyousheetit

There are plenty of drivers like you out there and it's why ups sups manage the way they do.

They get u riled up the adrenaline starts pumping and your working faster without even knowing it.

that is so true. I tell the younger guys to tell I'm working the best I can. You need to give me the tools to make me successful and be sure to say it in your calmest voice.

hooks

Appreciate your replies regarding this. UPS finally dropped the matter with my husband. Apparently, UPS only had 15 days to notify him of this and they took 28 days so the union told UPS they had to drop it. Lucky break I guess. Loss prevention is working on recovering the insufficient funds from the customer now, after my husband spent hours tracking her down. At least they know where the customer is now. Live and learn.